Author Topic: Thai restaurants in JH and surrounding areas  (Read 27524 times)

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
Re: Thai restaurants in JH and surrounding areas
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 09:09:17 PM »
wow. what are fish balls?
First, do no harm.

Offline yt28

• Citizen
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »
wow. what are fish balls?

Lol. They are fish paste shaped into balls. Like fish cake in ball form.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2008, 06:57:19 AM »
Lol. They are fish paste shaped into balls. Like fish cake in ball form.

maybe it's just because I'm on my first cup of coffee but fish cake doesn't sound appetizing!  Fish and Cake don't seem to go together.   :o   I've probably eaten fish balls and didn't even know it.  OMG!
First, do no harm.

Offline yt28

• Citizen
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2008, 08:15:22 AM »
maybe it's just because I'm on my first cup of coffee but fish cake doesn't sound appetizing!  Fish and Cake don't seem to go together.   :o   I've probably eaten fish balls and didn't even know it.  OMG!

Fish cake is fish paste too. It's not as bad as you think. Lol. It's in most of your ramen noodles and noodle soups that has "fish" anything. I keep forgetting that the combination of "fish" and "balls" or "cake" don't necessarily mean the same thing to others...haha.

Offline michaelb

• Activist
Sripraphai
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2008, 07:44:42 PM »
I'm generally unexcited by Thai food.  The dishes I've had all these years were bland, watery, and uninspired.  I have never been sure if it is Thai cuisine in general or just a spat of lousy Thai restaurants.

Buddy took us to Sripraphai last night.  What a surprise.  This Sripraphai place is different.  I won't rehash the talk about the garden or the decor.  I'll just talk about what we ordered.

The beef+mint and beef+ginger appetizers (which I don't remember the name of) were amazing.  Silky, hot,  crunch, cool.  Mmm.  They used actual, whole sprigs of mint.  As if they were growing in the back or something.  If I were on Iron Chef, I would say it reminds me of my childhood.

Now I usually hate "coconut" flavored dishes, which is strange because I like coconuts the fruit.  I suspect it's because coconut flavor additives are this nasty preservative-laden crap, like how RealLemon(TM) is absolutely vile compared to actual lemon.  Anyway, the coconut rice AND the coconut chicken curry were, contrary to my expectations, just heavenly.  Could they have used actual, real coconuts?  Amazing!!

I demanded to have the hottest dish on the menu (Southern curry with my choice of meat, which was pork) and while it did make my nose run a little, it didn't cause much pain.  I'm not sure if they watered it down for what they thought was my inferior white flesh or if that's really what they call hot.  Is Thai food even supposed to be hot?  I have no idea.  Can someone tell me where I can get the card that white people can present at asian restaurants that will signal them to serve the highest tier of spicy?  Do I need to sign a waiver?

We also ordered what I am told was a papaya salad, but I don't think I bit into a single piece of papaya.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Will definitely try again.

Offline yt28

• Citizen
Re: Sripraphai
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »
We also ordered what I am told was a papaya salad, but I don't think I bit into a single piece of papaya.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

It's julienned slices of green (unripe) papaya - doesn't look anything like the papaya you're probably used to.

The spice level at Sri has definitely decreased over the last couple of years. I'm not sure why - maybe more people are requesting for the spiciness to be dumbed down a little. You can just ask for the dish "phet phet" - very spicy or Thai spicy.

Anyway, I'm glad you're finally enjoying Thai food!

Offline michaelb

• Activist
Re: Sripraphai
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
It's julienned slices of green (unripe) papaya - doesn't look anything like the papaya you're probably used to.

No no, I mean I didn't know it was papaya salad until after it was all gone and I thought to ask what was this thing I scarfed down.

The spice level at Sri has definitely decreased over the last couple of years. I'm not sure why - maybe more people are requesting for the spiciness to be dumbed down a little. You can just ask for the dish "phet phet" - very spicy or Thai spicy.

Anyway, I'm glad you're finally enjoying Thai food!

Me too! :D

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »
New York Magazine's annual Cheap Eats feature celebrates three new Thai restaurants in Queens:

• Dee Thai Restaurant, 46-17 Queens Blvd. in Sunnyside
  • Pa'Oun, 53-21 Roosevelt Ave. in Woodside
  • Poodam's, 44-19 Broadway in Astoria

Has anybody given these a try?

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »
not yet but I will soon since after Italian food (I grew up on it) I LOVE LOVE LOVE Thai food.
First, do no harm.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 01:56:38 AM »
There are so many thai restaurants here! I just went to coco today - that place has some depth to the menu, that's for sure. very interesting stuff.
I really don't know how to even start. how lucky are we to have sriprapai, zabb, arunee and all of these other great thai restaurants. i mean, heres 3 of arguably the best thai in the city within 1 mile of eachother.
I have always liked thai, but still do not have discerning taste buds for it as a whole. I have been to very few bad thai restaurants. I dont think ive ever been to a bad one actually.

well, theres about a million other thai in JH, woodside and elmhurst. I have the menus to prove it. I like to have regular places where I can get to know the staff and get insighful recommendations, it will take a while to narrow myself down.

Offline yt28

• Citizen
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
Coco is more a Malaysian-Thai fusion than straight out Thai. So the 'interesting stuff' may not even be Thai. I have to get me a menu. Everytime I head over to Elmhurst I go straight to Nusara or Taste Good which are proper Thai and Malaysian restaurants, so you don't have to choose which side of the menu you want to order from! :)

Offline alleyinJH

• Resident
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 07:53:46 PM »
We ordered from Zabb for the first time tonight and were really disappointed.  The portions were very small.  My pork was mostly pork fat instead of meat.  My husband got barely any chicken in his panang.  The one thing I did like was the duck salad, but it was also small.  Oh, and they charged for rice even though my dish said it came OVER rice, which to me says it's included.  And it's included at every other restaurant we go to.   :(  We should have gotten Arunee.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2008, 02:56:09 AM »
I haven't eaten at Arunee in awhile because I've been trying out other Thai restaurants but it's always been good.  I'm still trying to get to one of the malaysian places. 

alley, I wonder if Zabb take out is diff. than eating in.  Our portions weren't large (neither are Nankings) but they were enough for two.  And I don't remember thinking they skimped on the meat but I only ate there one time.  That's disappointing.

First, do no harm.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »
I tried Arunee's pineapple fried rice tonight based on recommendations earlier in this thread.  Warm chunks of pineapple, cashews, raisins and a generous amount of chicken all served in a halved pineapple shell.  Absolutely delicious and pretty presentation too!
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »
Arunee's rocks!  I go there weekly on Sundays, I'm like a regular (they have my dishes ready) like the guy on Cheers.

(Actually I missed it the last two weeks ... two great birthday parties ... so I'm going through withdrawal ...need pad khing ... ::shakes::)
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »