Author Topic: If service people are making $15 an hour why do we still tip?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
Re: If service people are making $15 an hour why do we still tip?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
Paying half your monthly income on rent is far from ideal, but it's pretty typical in this city... at $15 an hour / 40 hours a week, you should be able to afford $1000 studio with a bit of planning.  Or like hum@jukebox1 said, get some roomates.

Offline Jhx

• Activist
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »
Or move

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »
where in the city can you find a studio for $1000 or less a month in rent?

Offline Marco

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 10:18:43 AM »
I'm from one of the 190+ countries in the world where tipping isn't nearly as customary as in the US. Same thing goes for metric system to which I wish the US had long ago converted.

I wish for people in the US to be paid a decent wage and for consumers not to have to stop and think about how much to tip right when they're having a good time with their friends at a restaurant.

Offline Fedup

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 02:20:55 PM »
Lots of tone deaf people on this forum who think working $15/hour is a normal wage. You do realize people making $15/hr can't even afford to go to a doctor, right? It's about time Americans stopped keeping wages at such a pathetic low. What's so scary about giving people in other sectors the right to a comfortable life? It's all based on fear and keeping the less educated in a cycle of poverty.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 02:41:41 PM »
It's all based on fear and keeping the less educated in a cycle of poverty.
No it isn't.  It's based on the idea that people get out of this life what they put into it.  We are all equal under the law.  But that is where our equality ends.  Every person has their own strengths and weaknesses, what they do with those are up to them.  I am not responsible for your victories or failures, nor the insurance for you to achieve your goals in life.

Besides, I thought the raising of the minimum wage to $15 was supposed to be a great victory for the everyman???  Now that victory is achieved it suddenly isn't a "living wage" and people are immediately pushing for more.  News at 11, people getting handouts want bigger handouts!  Color me shocked.

You don't have the right to a comfortable life.  You have the right to a life.  Now go out and make it comfortable for yourself and keep me out of it.

TLDR, Keep your hands out of my pockets.

Offline hagsrus

• Activist
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 05:39:24 PM »
Happy for you that you never feel the need to ask for a raise - but do you regard your wages/salary as a hand-out rather than an exchange for work performed??

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 05:49:35 PM »
$15 an hour isn't a living wage in NYC, San Francisco, and other high cost cities.

Those restaurants we like to go to, with decent food and a cut above standing in line at Chipotle, well they want their line cooks to come to them already trained (think CIA). Those same restaurants also want to only pay trained and highly skilled staff only $12/hour with zero benefits aside from the NYC required 5 paid sick days a year.

I tend to think if you can't pay your staff a living wage, your business just isn't successful enough to stay in business.

Offline deja

• Council Member
I tend to think if you can't pay your staff a living wage, your business just isn't successful enough to stay in business.

Business owners are going to do what they have to in order to stay in business, and I don't blame them.  That means fewer jobs, more automation, and everyone gets to pay more for things to subsidize employees with jobs that pay more than they are worth to the business.   If you can't make it in a high cost of living city one can improve themselves by learning a trade or getting an education, getting a second job, living with a roommate, or getting out of Dodge to some other place with a lower cost of living.  $15 an hour is plenty for an unskilled job.  An entry level welder in NYC makes $15.38.

As someone else in this thread already said, "Keep your hands out of my pockets."   

Jackson Heights Life