Author Topic: *“Anti-immigrant, anti-American”*  (Read 2409 times)

Offline JMV

• Citizen
*“Anti-immigrant, anti-American”*
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
Senator Jose Peralta, Rev Al Sharpton and Hispanic Federation Lillian Rodriguez Lopez at a press conference opposing  Arizona State legislature Bill SB1070 *

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:31:44 PM »
Arizona again!  Lest we forget their history of odd and short sighted political stances, years ago Arizona was one of the last states to protest making MLK a holiday.

("The hip-hop group Public Enemy recorded a song titled "By The Time I Get To Arizona", on their 1991 album Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black, in which they describe assassinating the then Governor of Arizona Fife Symington III for his opposition to the holiday." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr._Day )

A refrsher course, courtesy of Public Enemy ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijeXGv9QLRc
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:25:24 AM »
it'd be, shall we say, "interesting" to see the republican right target the cubans in florida this way....or even better, the irish in a place like woodside.

Offline Griswold Girl

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »
Good.  I hope every Latino leaves the state.  The state will be left destitute. 

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:19:39 PM »
From Senator Peralta's home page at the NYS Senate website:

"Press Conference: After the shocking signing in Arizona of the nation's harshest anti-immigration law Senators Peralta & Serrano will be holding a press conference to denounce the new law, and to call for immediate, comprehensive immigration reform"

Date:  Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Location:  Lobby of Senate Chamber, Capitol Building, 3rd Floor Albany, NY, 12247

NYS Senate - Jose Peralta

I assume a video will be made available during or after the press conference.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:49:11 PM »
bravo, senator peralta

but the US senate can't possibly act.

after all, with 41 votes, the republicans have an unbeatable majority.

:tickedoff:

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »
Excerpt from the Queens Courier:

"Their reaction, and of many others locally, arose after Arizona Governor Jan Brewer signed into law SB 1070 on Friday, April 23, and gave local law enforcement officials the ability to detain people for criminal trespass which they reasonably suspected to be undocumented whether in private or public spaces. The law also criminalized the act of not carrying immigration documents."

Opposition to Arizona immigration law grows

Hmmm... Let's just say I won't be visiting Arizona any time soon.  I'd hate to have carry my naturalization papers everywhere I go.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline CRABBYPATTY

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »
I hate to say this but many folks agree with tougher anti-immigration laws but will lie in your face if confronted on it.  Actually some of the most liberal folks I know are the most intolerant.  >:(

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »
perhaps so, patty

most conservatives i know are perfectly comfortable -- if not downright onanistic -- about their intolerance, so i will give them a free pass to that gate to the river styx.  :rockon:

Offline JMV

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:32:47 AM »
STATE SEN. PERALTA DEMANDS GOP CANDIDATES FOR GOV PLEDGE NEVER TO  IMPOSE ARIZONA-STYLE IMMIGRATION LAW IN NEW YORK

“Even Tom Tancredo Says the Law is Too Harsh”

State Senator Jose Peralta is calling on Republican candidates for Governor Rick Lazio and Steve Levy to sign his pledge stating they will never push for or sign an immigration law similar to the one signed in to law last week by the Governor of Arizona. Neither of the GOP candidates has made a concrete statement addressing the controversial Arizona immigration law, leaving open the possibility they would actually support imposing a similar law in New York if either were elected governor. Peralta said that even some of the most conservative Republicans in the country have spoken out against the Arizona law.
Peralta said “When you’re to the right of Tom Tancredo on immigration, that’s not being a conservative, that’s being on the fringe. The Arizona immigration law strikes a blow against freedom and liberty not just for immigrants, but for all the people of the United States. New Yorkers are disgusted by this law and all our elected leaders should be too. We need to make absolutely sure that in New York, a state that celebrates our immigrant communities and takes pride in our diversity, we are never subjected to a similar rule of law. This pledge is common sense for anyone seeking elected office in the state of New York.”
In the days since the controversial proposal that said immigrants unable to produce documents showing they are allowed to be in the U.S. would be arrested and jailed for up to six months was signed in to law, neither Lazio nor Levy has said they would oppose a similar policy for New York, with Levy going as far to say that parts of the bill are “very rational”.
Even some of most conservative members of the national GOP have spoken out against the Arizona law. Among the critics are Former Florida Governor
Jeb Bush, Florida GOP Senate candidate
Marco Rubio, and Senator
Lindsey Graham. Even outspoken anti-immigration advocate Colorado Congressman
Tom Tancredo says the law is too much.

Below is a copy of the pledge state Senator Peralta sent today to the Rick Lazio and Steve Levy:

New York is a state that takes pride in our diversity and opens its arms to people of all races, colors, and creeds. Immigrants are a proud part of the fabric of New York’s history and our future.

As such, I pledge that, should I be elected governor, I will never to push for nor sign any law related to immigration similar to the law signed by Governor Jan Brewer of Arizona. Under this law, immigrants unable to produce documents showing they are allowed to be in the U.S. could be arrested, jailed for up to six months and fined $2,500. In addition, if someone is found to be in the State of Arizona illegally, they would be turned over to federal immigration officers. This law, as written and signed, could lead to racial profiling and local police unfairly targeting innocent immigrants and Americans. I oppose it and will oppose any efforts to pass such a law in New York.

Offline JMV

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:34:01 AM »
Lawmakers Slam Arizona Immigration Law

Posted by Michael Johnson

With the budget talks at a stalemate, several Senate and Assembly Democrats took time to weigh in on the biggest national story – the Arizona Legislature’s controversial immigration enforcement bill. Senators Jose Peralta and Jose Serrano publicly denounced the new plan today. They say it would promote racial profiling. And Senator Peralta went a step further, calling the decision to sign the bill by the Arizona Governor a slap in the face of the federal government.

With a stroke of the pen, she spit in the face of the federal government. By saying to the federal government, who has exclusive powers, exclusive rights to regulate immigration laws through the supremacy clause, that you are not relevant. She spit in the face of people of color in this country by legitimizing racial profiling. That is unacceptable.

Senators Peralta and Serrano put forth a resolution denouncing the bill. But the Senate didn’t take it up in session today.
Meanwhile, City Hall is reporting several Latino Assembly members are going to travel to Arizona and chain themselves to the border fence. Among those heading south, Felix Ortiz, José Rivera, Naomi Rivera, Adam Clayton Powell, Carmen Arroyo and Peter Rivera.

Offline JMV

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
(April 29, 2010) Today, Senator Jose Peralta  was joined by Alliance for Quality Education, Citizen Action of New York, Coalition for Economic Justice to call on Wall Street to pay its fair share in order to prevent millions of dollars in education cust to New York City Schools.
The groups cited Wall Street’s recent record profits of more than $61 billion in 2009 with bonuses for the same year exceeding $20 billion, while the average New Yorker makes $50, 000 annually, and called for them to bear their share of the state’s fiscal crisis.
Senator Jose Peralta is calling on the State Legislature to consider closing corporate tax loopholes which could provide $1.5 billion dollars in savings that could be used to restore the proposed cuts to education.   â€œWe must do everything we can to prevent devastating cuts to our education system.  I believe that considering closing corporate loopholes and using the savings to invest in our children’s education is a step in the right direction in balancing our budget.  We cannot continue the practice of balancing the state’s budget on the backs of hard working men and women, and in this case our children, while turning a blind eye to the long standing practice of inequitable tax breaks for corporations.”  Peralta concluded “It is time to close some of the litany of corporate tax loopholes and require everyone to pay their fair share.”
Julian Vinocur, Alliance for Quality Education Organizer said   â€œStudents in New York City - like those across the state - are being asked to bear an unbearable burden while Wall Street is enjoying record profits and bonuses because when they needed us we bailed them out. AQE supports Senator Peralta’s call for Wall Street taxes and restorations to the $1.4 billion school aid cut. Without the Wall Street taxes New York City schools will lose $500 million, 8500 teachers and class sizes will be increase. We need Senator Peralta’s fellow senators to join him in standing up to Wall Street to protect our children’s future.,” 

Offline JMV

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »
Below is a link to the aforementioned events:

1. "Si Se Puede: fulfilling the immigration promise"
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IamhKSHky8w

2. Press Conference with Senator Serrano on Wednesday, April 28 at 10:00
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ54xezMpQYhttp://

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »