Author Topic: Carlton House - your feedback  (Read 12038 times)

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
Re: Carlton House - your feedback
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »
I did exhaustive due diligence last year before my purchase - and if there were a land lease this would have come up. My lawyer - who has been with me through three prior home purchases and is very kind and thorough - would have sat me down to explain the implications. And my mortgage bank would definitely have voiced concerns!

I think you are worrying about something that's not an issue.

I love this building. Designed by Philip Birnbaum in his early career as an architect and who later went on to design buildings including Trump Tower, the floor plans are large and gracious and make excellent use of interior space and light. I hear zero noise from my neighbors due to the thickness of the walls and the tower structure (east, west, center are separate wings). Our doormen and porters are excellent. There's a "package room" where they hold our deliveries while we are at work, indoor parking for $100 extra a month - we didn't have to wait for it - and storage - I am still on the list for that.

I personally do not begrudge a few hundred dollars in holiday tips to a staff who make my life so much more comfortable on a daily basis. :-)

We are completely satisfied with our purchase. I recommend the Carlton without hesitation.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
Roosevelt Terrace doesn't own their land, but it has the right to renew the lease under the same terms, once the lease is up (original lease was for 99 years). So, I don't think a land lease is necessarily a worrisome thing, if the terms were thought out with what happens at the end of the lease?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
I've noticed a run-up in prices at the Carlton House.  Is this mainly due to MCP Properties' marketing of the building and the units?  If so, they really know what they are doing.  Even in Daniel Karatzas' last JH real estate report, he made a special mention that the increase in pricing for post-war elevator coops within the historic district (vs outside the district) was due to sales of large apartments at the Carlton.

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 06:14:47 PM »
I noticed that too. We closed last January and prices are definitely higher here now.

Almost all of the units available right now I see are sponsor units - most have had kitchen rehabs. But I think it's Douglas Elliman, who is handling them. Or at least that's who has been in the building showing them.

The "history" links are all broken on Streeteasy. And there are multiple entries for the same units so kind of hard to tell what's going on with them.

Offline eddie

• Activist
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
I saw a 1 bedroom listed for $415k recently... insane! Agree, great marketing job.

I think the CH apts are beautiful and I would have bought there myself but the high maint, no pets and trek to the train killed it for me.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »