Author Topic: abandoned house on 34th avenue  (Read 3165 times)

Offline lex

• Resident
abandoned house on 34th avenue
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:00:15 PM »
I'm sure this has been posted about before and discussed, but I can't find the thread (sorry)

does anyone know what is going on with the beautiful old stone house at 34th in the low seventies?  Last I looked there was a big sign on the front stating something about "the Police Will be called" if you trespass here etc.

I can't help but think someone is trying to condemn this lot to put up an apt. or co-op and hoping the house turns into an eyesore, which in my opinion, would be shame.

Offline toddg

• Calendar Editor
  • Mayor
Re: abandoned house on 34th avenue
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:06:43 AM »
I'm very sad to report that the building is condemned to be torn down.  The School Construction Authority will use this property for a school yard, and the one across the street as an annex for the middle school.  Or vice-versa... I can't remember.  Here is a discussion about this project:
http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=525

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
We tried to buy this house to no avail. What we heard was it was going to be made into apartment complexes. I believe the purchase price was in the low millions. It's a shame we've admired this house for many years!

Offline carrefour_ny

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:45:35 PM »
I must have missed the original discussion but that is sad, the house is so beautiful!

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:36:20 AM »
I believe a dr worked/lived there. I also heard a body was found there a few years back -I Don't know the truth to this or if it was a medical item does anyone know of anything?

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »
When I first moved to J.H. (1983), we used to walk around the neighborhood and always fantasized about living in that house.  At the time, it was still occupied, well-maintained and the grounds outside were beautifully landscaped.  It was so lovely that it's extra sad to see it in such a state and due to be demolished - especially for such an ordinary replacement.  What a treasure we have lost!

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »
I sold an apartment a block away from there...I also wanted to buy the place...I called when it had the 'for sale' sign.  A woman answered and told me they had many interested parties and that the asking was 1.8 million (I can't remember - it was like 2 1/2 to 3  years ago  ??? )  She did say they were in negotiations with a developer  but were still accepting offers.  I can only imagine what we could have done inside that amazing spot...the wow factor!!!
Time is running out!

Offline AMT

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »
I got an e-mail today from the District Manager of Community Board #3 which said that the "plans are still in place" for a Middle School annex and schoolyard on those corners. It will be sad to see the house torn down, but at least it won't be condos.

Harry

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:14:19 AM »
Although it will be terribly sad that this building will be lost forever to Jackson Heights, tearing it down will be a relief in a way.  It's like watching the slow, now inevitable decline of a loved one due to some wasting illness.  You don't want to lose them but you also don't want them to suffer anymore pain and indignity.

Offline taggie

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:07:01 AM »
This house is lovely and living a block away, I see it alot. Wish the school authorities would make the middle school annex
architectural plans mandate the inclusion of this building. We have a dearth of distinguished single homes here and this
is certainly one of them. And if there is not money for this in the lean budgets we have now, can they just make a
temporary green space across the street. How much would it cost to level and mow the property? As neighbors we could
enjoy that more that the awful fence. I know that there are other issues, of course, but between the fenced lot and
the brick mansion deteriorating it's a real downer for the immediate neighbors as well as the rest of Jackson Heights.
Do you think NY1 would cover this type of story?

Offline Emma

• Citizen
    • Twitness
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
I would love to get into that place, just for one night before it goes away, and take some pictures, set up some video cameras, make some recordings... you never know what you might find.  ;)

Otherwise, it really is sad that they're tearing that house down. It's a beautiful house. I wish that people had a greater respect for the jewels of their past creations.

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »
In its prime, when it was inhabited and the grounds were landscaped, it was a jewel!

Offline Griswold Contessa

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 07:29:55 PM »
I feel sure that there are wonderful art deco fixtures throughout the house and deco bathrooms to die for!!!!!  It's a pity!  :'( :'(
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Offline abee

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »
This house is lovely and living a block away, I see it alot. Wish the school authorities would make the middle school annex
architectural plans mandate the inclusion of this building. We have a dearth of distinguished single homes here and this
is certainly one of them. And if there is not money for this in the lean budgets we have now, can they just make a
temporary green space across the street. How much would it cost to level and mow the property? As neighbors we could
enjoy that more that the awful fence. I know that there are other issues, of course, but between the fenced lot and
the brick mansion deteriorating it's a real downer for the immediate neighbors as well as the rest of Jackson Heights.
Do you think NY1 would cover this type of story?

What is going in the green space across the street? It would make a lovely community garden, and it's just a shame both these spaces are just sitting there empty. The house is one of my favorite, and I'm very disappointed that it's being destroyed.

Offline Brian C

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 10:16:01 AM »
I believe a dr worked/lived there...

That's right. In fact, I was friends with & went to McClancy HS with one of the doctor's sons in the late 60s. We didn't stay in touch so I can't offer any insight into what may have transpired there since.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.
- Edmund Burke