Author Topic: "no honking" signs  (Read 6401 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: "no honking" signs
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/nyregion/thecity/20fyi.html

Shh (for What It’s Worth)

Q. I can’t figure out how the city decides to put up “No honking” signs, which in my opinion more neighborhoods could use. Can you explain how the system works?

A. Horn-honking complaints and sign requests are made through 311, community boards and elected officials, said Michael Saucier, a spokesman for the city’s Department of Environmental Protection, the agency that pays for the signs. Offenders can be fined $350 for each offense.

Mr. Saucier said the department studies the location for which a sign has been requested, considering such factors as traffic volume and the streetscape. If the agency decides that a sign is justified, the request is passed along to the Department of Transportation, which installs it.

The Environmental Protection Department paid for about 200 no-honking signs in the year ended June 2005 and 500 signs for the year ended June 2006.

Some side streets, like West 82nd between Broadway and Amsterdam, have more than one sign, creating the effect of a succession of wagging fingers. Elsewhere, it is clear that a sign, if it were to go up, might simply invite honks of mockery.

For instance, the intersection of East 59th Street and Second Avenue, near the Queensboro Bridge, is predictably unpleasant as cars and trucks honk their way in and out of Manhattan. Rush- hour drivers are typically more restrained at 72nd Street and Second Avenue, where residents recently requested a sign.

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 11:27:57 PM »
Thanks for posting, that was educational.

Oh wait ... shhhhh

thanks for posting.
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 10:20:36 AM »
I live on one of the worst streets for noise and honking (and trash) - 73rd.  It seems like the honking has been a lot worse lately (now that I think about it, it was probably because of the weather and the slicker than usual streets).  Hey, at least we won't have to deal with Mr. Softee trucks for a couple more months!

A few weeks ago, a minivan was parked right under my window at 5 in the morning - he had his doors wide open, including his hatchback, and was blasting music - it was louder in my apartment than it would be if I had my stereo on.  During a break between songs I yelled out the window for him to shut up, to no avail of course.  I also heard a few other people yelling out their windows.  The good part:  all of a sudden I saw something flying through the air and then three eggs splattered the guy's van.  He immediately shut the doors and took off.  I know I can't condone that type of response, but at the time I was happy because I just wanted to get back to sleep. 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »
lilybell...

i can not only condone that response, i've done it. it works quite well.

:angel:

Offline divanatrix

• Council Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »
I've gotta try it!  ;) 

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »
I still say if we all take a minute to register at that site en masse, the attention given by 311 may be slightly more effective and cost effective than the advertised 'Omlette Defense' ...

Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »