Author Topic: 2010 Census  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
2010 Census
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »
"This informational program explains how communities benefit from Census Bureau data collection efforts. Testimonials describe the importance of a complete count to the Latino/Hispanic community and why the 2010 Census will be the most important count in our nation's history."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGVQUx9TOnI

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
Re: 2010 Census
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
WYNC has an interesting article on the 2010 Census' campaign to include a count on illegal immigrants residing in Queens.  The article also includes audio.

Census 2010: A Queens Campaign Seeks to Get Everyone Counted, Including Illegals
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »
Forms should be arriving this week.  Reach out to your friends and neighbors to educate them about the importance of a complete count!

Census tells NYers: Stand up and be counted

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
From The Queens Chronicle: Neighborhood leaders announce the creation of the Census Coalition of Jackson Heights.  This coalition will offer residents assistance in completing the 2010 Census form.

Census coalition formed to get Queens counted

"The organizations that form part of the Jackson Heights Census Coalition include the Colombian Civic Center, New Immigrant Community Empowerment (N.I.C.E.), the Working Family’s Party North, Queens Community House, Jackson Heights Beautification Group, Queens Legal Club, SEVA and Chhaya.

N.I.C.E. will offer help in with the Census forms on Saturday, March 27 from 11 a.m. at The Renaissance Charter School located at 35-59 81st Street near 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights. Assistance will be provided in Bengali, English, Hindi, Mandarin Nepali, Spanish, and Urdu. For more information call and ask for Alejandra at 718-205-8796."

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »
The U.S. Census 2010 website has a google map whereby users can track the national census participation rate.  Assuming I navigated the map correctly, my area in Jackson Heights has a 12% participation rate so far.  Users can track participation rates on a national, state and tract level.

Take 10 Map - 2010 Census Participation Rates

Offline Emma

• Citizen
    • Twitness
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:55:21 PM »
Was anyone else disappointed by the brevity of the census? After all of the hype, I almost wanted more questions. They could have at least asked me what my favorite movies were, or something.   ;D

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:13:17 PM »
As the April 1st date approaches, the 2010 Census participation numbers remain low, particularly in communities with dense immigrant populations.

From The New York Daily News:

Volunteers urge wary immigrants to be counted in Census; 18% of Brooklyn forms have returned

Side Note:  The New York Public Library is offering assistance in completing the 2010 Census form through April 19th.  Help is available in various languages.  Here's a link to the NYPL website listing particpating libraries along with respective schedules:

Queens Library - Census Questionnaire Assistance Centers

Offline Griswold Contessa

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 06:02:50 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cost of this census ....at a reduced bulk rate, the cost of printing and mailing the advance letters and follow-up reminder postcards is about $85 million, according to the bureau, a cost separate from the $338 million communications budget.  I find the cost a bit obscene..............what say you?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »
well, according to what i see online, the 1990 census cost $2.6 billion. so is this one more pricey? time will tell,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cost of this census ....at a reduced bulk rate, the cost of printing and mailing the advance letters and follow-up reminder postcards is about $85 million, according to the bureau, a cost separate from the $338 million communications budget.  I find the cost a bit obscene..............what say you?

Offline Emma

• Citizen
    • Twitness
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 07:55:33 PM »
It may pay off big-tyme in the form of redistricting (depending upon your political affiliations).

Offline Griswold Contessa

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »
Thankfully I'm a political atheist therefore I choose to sit back and watch the corruption on both sides which I find quite pathetic and costly for most of us! 

It may pay off big-tyme in the form of redistricting (depending upon your political affiliations).
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
Yes, this will cost more. It's not as if there's much choice in the matter - the Constitution requires a census every 10 years:
"The actual enumeration shall be made within three years after the first meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent term of 10 years, in such manner as they shall by Law direct."
-- Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution of the United States

Could the gov't cheap out and just go through the motions of having a census for less money? Probably, but that would be even more of a waste.
The best we can hope for is a real and accurate count, and then really good extrapolation of data to figure out how to make every other gov't program work better.

- MW

Offline Aronan

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »
I'm certainly no mathematician, but... if we stay with the $2.6 Billion number and divide that among the 307,006,550 people living in the united states (according to the Census Bureau) then the cost of the census averages out to about $8.50 / person counted. If the benefit to communities from having residents counted is about $2,000.00 / person then is seems to me like it's a pretty good return on the investment.

While the total cost of the census is probably higher this time around, I don't think it will get so much higher than the $8.50 / person as to make the $2000 return not worth the effort. Also, consider that if we cut the cost of the census, then we wouldn't know where to allocate the money that was saved, or at least it would very likely no be properly allocated.
"It is widely recognized that the courageous spirit of a
single man can inspire to victory an army of
thousands. If one concerned with ordinary gain can
create such an effect, how much more will be produced by one who cares for greater things ?" -Chunag Tse

Offline CRABBYPATTY

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »
I'm sure that those apartments that house 10 to 12 folks sleeping on mattresses placed about the apartment floors will not be counted but unfortunately that's what we have here in JH!  God Bless America!

Offline taggie

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »
In a previous census, we mentioned to the census taker an apartment with a mixed relatives family
and a lot of children. They didn't have a real entrance or number to the apartment but surely added
at least 6 kids to the schools. The census person was not sure how to get them counted and assure
them she was not the police. Any thoughts?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »