Author Topic: PUERTO RICO  (Read 69512 times)

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
Re: PUERTO RICO
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 08:44:43 PM »
Marc Anthony - Preciosa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEdfvyS1WnU&NR=1

Lyrics in both spanish and english

Yo se lo que son los encantos
de mi borinquen hermosa
por eso la quiero yo tanto
por siempre la llamare Preciosa
yo se de sus hembras trigue?as
se del olor de sus rosas
por eso a mi tierra riquena
por siempre la llamare Preciosa

Isla del caribe
Isla del caribe
Borinquen

Preciosa te llaman las olas
del mar que te baja
Preciosa por ser un encanto
por ser un Eden
Y tienes la noble hidalgua
de la Madre Espana
y el fiero canto del indio bravo
lo tienes tambien

Coro:

Preciosa te llaman los bardos
que cantan tu historia
No importa el tirano te trate
con negra maldad

Preciosa seras sin bandera
sin lauros, ni gloria
Preciosa, Preciosa

te llaman los hijos de la libertad
Preciosa te llevo dentro
muy dentro di mi corazon
y mientras mas pasa el tiempo
en ti se vuelca mi amor

porque ahora es que comprendo
porque ahora es que comprendo
que aunque pase lo que pase
yo sere puertoriqueno
yo sere puertoriqueno
por donde quiera que ande, ooohhh
por que lo llevo en la sangre
por herencia de mis padres
y con orgullo repito
yo te quiero Puerto Rico
yo te quiero Puerto Rico

y por eso es que me nace hoy
dedicarle este canto
a ese noble jibarito Raphael
y a mi isla del encanto
yo te quiero Puerto Rico
yo te quiero Puerto Rico

I know what's enchanting
about my beautiful Borinquen
That's why I love her so much
And I'll always call her Precious

I know about her dark-skinned women
I know about the smell of her roses
That's why to my rich country
I'll always call her Precious

Island of the Caribbean
Island of the Caribbean
Borinquen

The waves of the ocean that bathe you,
calls you Precious
Precious for being enchanting,
for being an Eden
And you have the nobility
of the mother, Spain
And the fiery song of the ferocious indian
You have this too

Chorus:
The bards that sing your history
call you Precious
It doesn't matter that the tyrant
treats you with black hatred
You would still be Precious
without a flag, laurels or glory
Precious, precious
you're called by liberty's children

Precious, I carry you inside
very deep in my heart
and the more the time goes by
my love for you grows and grows

Because it's now that I understand
Because it's now that I understand
that regardless of what happens
I will always be Puerto Rican
I will always be Puerto Rican
Because wherever I walk, oooohhhh
Because I carry it in my blood
Because of my parent's heritage
And with pride I repeat
I love you Puerto Rico
I love you Puerto Rico

And that's why it's born in me today
To dedicate this song
To that noble jibarito** Rafael
And to my island of enchantments
I love you Puerto Rico
I love you Puerto Rico, oooohhhh

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »
Navy Must Be Held Accountable For Vieques:

http://networkedblogs.com/p27338575

Puerto Rico is once again being shortchanged by the federal government. The U.S. Navy must provide compensation for risking the health of the people of Vieques.

For 60 years, the Navy used Vieques to test military weapons and dabble with heavy metals. This contaminated the flora and fauna of the island municipality and damaged the health of thousands of its residents. The level of cancer incidence in Vieques is 30 percent higher than the cancer rate on the main island, according to Puerto Rico’s health department. Yet the Navy has failed to take full responsibility for the havoc it caused in Vieques, even though multiple independent studies show the effects of its decades of shelling.

The people of Vieques, who like all Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, filed suit against the Navy and federal government. But the government’s reaction was to claim sovereign immunity to evade the class action lawsuit.

This flies in the face of the outcome to similar situations. The federal government did not claim immunity when two wealthy Virginia communities file and won a million dollar lawsuit in 2007 against the Navy for the noise pollution caused by jets flying over the area.

The claim of sovereign immunity also appears to pre-empt the outcome of another federal move. Several months ago, the Agency for Toxic Substances and Diseases Registration (ATDSR) reversed a prior conclusion that contamination at the Navy’s training ground in Vieques posed no health risks to residents. The ATDSR has re-initiated an investigation into the health hazards there.

Parts of Vieques are designated as a federal toxic cleanup site. But this does not address the question of medical care for the disproportionate rate of illnesses Viequenses are suffering. Instead, the message that the Navy and federal government are sending is that they will continue to ignore or avoid accountability for the damage to the health of Viequenses. This is unacceptable.

The ATDSR must accelerate its study of Vieques. But public pressure must once again mount, as it successfully did to close the Naval base in Vieques, to ensure that Viequenses are not left at the wayside.

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »
N.A.SA.

Yes, there's a bunch of Jibaritos at NASA and not just cleaning the floors and toilets (well, my uncle does but he has great benefits...)  :2funny:

Orlando Figueroa began his NASA career twenty-seven years ago at Goddard Space Flight Center, not knowing he would eventually become the Center’s Director of Applied Engineering and Technology — and Federal Employee of the Year. Dr. Ed Weiler, who nominated him for the award, describes Figueroa's unusual ability to "cut through the tape and get the job done." "Figueroa has a fierce determination to do a job well and isn't afraid to speak his mind," said Weiler . "Those qualities explain why he is Employee of the Year and made him the ideal Mars Program Director ."
http://askmagazine.nasa.gov/issues/22/22_profile_figueroa.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Puerto_Ricans_in_the_United_States_Space_Program
Time is running out!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010, 09:47:47 PM »
Mucho mas!!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2010, 09:48:36 PM »
Mas, mas!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2010, 09:50:04 PM »
N.A.SA.

Yes, there's a bunch of Jibaritos at NASA and not just cleaning the floors and toilets (well, my uncle does but he has great benefits...)  :2funny:

Orlando Figueroa began his NASA career twenty-seven years ago at Goddard Space Flight Center, not knowing he would eventually become the Center’s Director of Applied Engineering and Technology — and Federal Employee of the Year. Dr. Ed Weiler, who nominated him for the award, describes Figueroa's unusual ability to "cut through the tape and get the job done." "Figueroa has a fierce determination to do a job well and isn't afraid to speak his mind," said Weiler . "Those qualities explain why he is Employee of the Year and made him the ideal Mars Program Director ."
http://askmagazine.nasa.gov/issues/22/22_profile_figueroa.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Puerto_Ricans_in_the_United_States_Space_Program

Darling,

Which cute jibarito is your uncle?

Best,   :smiley6600:

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »
This one...hehehe
Time is running out!

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »
BE CAREFUL GUYS...WOMEN ARE DOING SOME STUFF...
Olga D. González-Sanabria

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/about/bios/gonzalez_bio.html
Time is running out!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »
My cousin Gloria Tristani!
Best,  Marlene Flores aka Marlene Tristani O'Neill

http://www.fcc.gov/commissioners/previous/tristani/biography.html

Biography of Gloria Tristani

Gloria Tristani, a life-long Democrat, served as a Commissioner on the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Commissioner Tristani was nominated by President Clinton on September 15, 1997, confirmed by the Senate on October 28, 1997 and sworn in as Commissioner on November 3, 1997.
Commissioner Tristani is committed to ensuring that all Americans are able to share in the benefits of the telecommunications revolution. One of her primary goals is to preserve and enhance universal service in order to ensure that telecommunications services remain affordable and accessible. She is committed to accelerating broadband deployment to rural and other hard-to-serve areas, and to the goals of the “E-Rate” program which provides discounted Internet access to schools and libraries. Commissioner Tristani has been actively involved in other consumer issues, including slamming and cramming, children’s exposure to TV violence and to broadcast indecency, and competition in the cable industry. She serves as Chair of the FCC’s V-Chip Task Force.

In 1994, Tristani was the first woman elected to the New Mexico State Corporation Commission (SCC) and served as SCC Chairman in 1996. While at the SCC, Commissioner Tristani advanced the interests of consumers, particularly in the areas of telecommunications and health insurance. She played an active role in implementing the 1996 Telecommunications Act at the state level. In the health insurance area, she spearheaded the enactment of HMO and managed care rules and the New Mexico Mothers and Newly Born Children Rule. As a result of her SCC work, the Governor named Commissioner Tristani one of New Mexico’s outstanding women of 1996.

The granddaughter of the late U.S. Senator Dennis Chavez, who represented the people of New Mexico in the United States Congress from 1931 to 1962, Commissioner Tristani comes from a family committed to public service. She is proud of her Latino heritage – a combination of New Mexican, Puerto Rican and Cuban. She was born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico, with Spanish as her first language. She was awarded the NALEO Edward R. Roybal Award for Outstanding Public Service in 2000, and in 1998 and 1996 was named one of the nation’s 100 most influential Hispanics by Hispanic Business magazine.

Commissioner Tristani received her law degree from the University of New Mexico School of Law and her undergraduate degree from Barnard College at Columbia University. She is a member of the New Mexico and Colorado bars. A resident of New Mexico since 1982, Commissioner Tristani moved to Washington, D.C. at the time of her appointment to the FCC. She still considers New Mexico home. She is married to the Honorable Gerard W. Thomson and has two children, Vanesa and Jorge.

Another

November 7, 1997

GLORIA TRISTANI SWORN IN AS FCC COMMISSIONER
                  BY VICE PRESIDENT GORE

In a public swearing-in ceremony today, FCC Commissioner Gloria Tristani was
   formally sworn in as a member of the Federal Communications Commission by Vice
   President Al Gore.  Commissioner Tristani, a Democrat, is the granddaughter of the late
   U.S. Senator Dennis Chavez.  She is the first FCC Commissioner of Puerto Rican
   descent. 

Tristani, a committed public servant, was the first woman elected to the New
   Mexico State Corporation Commission (SCC), in 1994.  She was actively involved in the
   enactment of legislation that allows the SCC to ensure that telephone companies comply
   with the law and enforces SCC orders and actions that promote the public interest.   She
   was an active participant on the National Association of Regulatory Utility
   Commissioners' Communications Committee responsible for assisting in implementing
   the Telecommunications Act of 1996.  Prior to serving on the SCC, she was an attorney
   in private practice in Albuquerque.

Commissioner Tristani received her law degree from the University of New
   Mexico School of Law and an undergraduate degree from Barnard College at Columbia
   University.  She is a member of the New Mexico and Colorado Bars and has received a
   number of awards for her outstanding achievements, including being named one of the
   Nation's 100 most influential Hispanics by Hispanic Business magazine in 1996.

Commissioner Tristani is married to the Honorable Gerard W. Thomson, a
   district judge, and has two children, Vanesa and Jorge. 

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:12:29 PM by Marlene »

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »
TODO TIENE SU FINAL! - HECTOR LAVOE & WILLIE COLON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWluU4gxy2o

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »
1. Who is that swimming in the water in PR?  One lucky man.

2. Is that the beautiful rain forest in the background?  Yes, it is.

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Viejo San Juan!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 11:21:14 PM »
I'm leaving tonight!   ::)

Offline Marlene

• Mayor