Author Topic: PUERTO RICO  (Read 69493 times)

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
Re: PUERTO RICO
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2010, 08:38:02 AM »
IN MEMORIAM TO "GRACIELA" PEREZ GUTIERREZ
by Willie Colón on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 8:07am

Were it not for pioneers like Graciela many of us in the business would not have a career.

Life in the USA back in the 1940s was not as hospitable and tolerant. It took guts and tenacity besides talent to practice your craft back in Jim Crow's America.

But there were a few back then that knew what they wanted and decided to go for it. The work of Mario Bauzá, Machito, Noro Morales and later Tito Puente presented irrefutable evidence that Latinos weren't a bunch of savages but a people cable of making some sophisticated music.

When these old school warriors rolled out them big bands they weren't fooling around. They presented a disciplined musical force to contend with. Jazz greats like Dizzie Gillespie immediately got the message. These legendary greats spoke for us in the universal language. We couldn't have had a better spokesperson than Graciela. With her great voice her sexy looks and her poise she said for us "He don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?" They made being Latino something people would covet. All that rhythm and talent and Class!

It is no small thing they gave us. In a time when most Latinos had little more than a hope and a dream in their pocket these folks got us together at the dances, they made happy, they made us proud, they connected us. The music, the language, the culture were a keystone to our survival as Latinos in this city and the rest of the country.

If we have all that we have today we must recognize how important the work that they did was to lay the bedrock of life in this city for Latinos. But their work didn't only enhance the Latino cause. They made strides in civil rights for all Americans. They contributed to making New York the musical Mecca that it is.

I wasn't able to make last night's memorial at Saint Peter's Church (The Jazz Church) so I want to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU GRACIELA. Those of you Latinos who today stand tall remember that you do so upon the shoulders of greats like Graciela Perez Gutierrez.

RECORDANDO "GRACIELA" PÉREZ GUTIÉRREZ

Si no fuera por  pioneros como Graciela muchos de nosotros en este negocio no tendríamos una carrera.

La vida en los EE. UU en los años 1940s no era tan hospitalaria y tolerante. Se necesitaba agallas y tenacidad además del talento para practicar tu arte atrás en la América racista  de Jim Crow.

Pero había unos pocos que sabían lo que querían y decidieron luchar por eso. El trabajo de Mario Bauzá, Machito, Noro Morales y Tito Puente posterior presentó pruebas irrefutables que Latinos no eran un manojo de salvajes, pero una gente capaz de crear y ejecutar  una música muy sofisticada.

Cuando estos viejos guerreros  arrancaban con esos bandones no perdían el tiempo. Ellos presentaron una fuerza musical disciplinada a la contienda. Grandes del Jazz como Dizzie Gillespie inmediatamente entendieron  el mensaje. Estos legendarios hablaron para nosotros en la lengua universal. No podíamos haber tenido a una mejor portavoz que Graciela. ¿Con su  voz sus miradas atractivas y su estilo ella dijo "NO te gustaría ser como yo?" Hizo ser Latina algo que la gente codiciara fervientemente. ¡Ritmo y talento y Clase!

No es ninguna pequeña cosa que nos dieron. En un tiempo cuando la mayor parte de Latinos tenía poco más que una esperanza y un sueño en el  bolsillo esta gente nos reunió en los bailes, nos hicieron sentir feliz,  nos llenaban de  orgullo. La música, el idioma, la cultura fueron clave para nuestra supervivencia como Latinos en esta ciudad y el resto del país.

Si tenemos todo lo que tenemos hoy, debemos reconocer la importancia del trabajo que ellos hicieron para  poner el lecho de roca de nuestras vidas en esta ciudad y el mundo como Latinos. Pero su trabajo sólo no realzó la causa de Latino. Ellos hicieron le dieron pasao a la lucha por derechos civiles para todos los americanos. Ellos contribuyeron en hacer de Nueva York la Meca musical que es.

No pude llegar al conmemorativo anoche La Iglesia de San Pedro (la Iglesia de Jazz)  por eso quiero tomar esta oportunidad para decir GRACIAS GRACIELA.  Aquellos de ustedes Latinos quiénes hoy están en alto recuerdan que es porque ha sido sobre los hombros de grandes como Graciela Pérez Gutiérrez.

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2010, 11:19:34 AM »
Las Tetas de Cayey - The Tights of Cayey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayey,_Puerto_Rico

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
At Graciela's Birthday and Memorial!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
Puerto Rican Women Face Rising Tide of Violence

http://www.womensenews.org/print/8264

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »
Las Tetas de Cayey - The Tights of Cayey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayey,_Puerto_Rico

Las Tetas de Cayey - The Tits of Cayey

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
El Viejo San Juan

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #186 on: August 26, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »
Mas de el Viejo San Juan

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2010, 09:05:48 PM »
More of Old San Juan

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2010, 12:51:46 AM »
This is NOT how I or my family make sofrito but it is a sofrito/RECAITO like or taste style thingy...hehehe

What this guy is making is a type of recao or recaito.  Sofrito does NOT go into a blender...tHIS A recao or what we Jibaros call...recaito.  It is made with culantro or recao and most NY'ricans will use cilantro since it is most available and way more inexpensive.   Traditional recao will not have bell peppers since they lack "sabor robusto".  What you would want to use are ajis dulce instead (if you can get them")  If you cannot get ajis dulce you can use what it is known here as Jamaican sweet peppers the add some yellow onions and some will add cilantro (NOT traditional)...Recao (Culantro) is king when it comes to flavor.  You know what...I will make a recaito in a video one day I have nothing to do (don't hold your breath).  Sofrito is chapped up in little pieces and some of it like the garlic and recao (culantro) will go on a Pilon and plum tomatoes with the ajis get all chopped up in small cubes.  I also use cubitos de pollos which are those square chicken soup cubes so i dont have to freeze it and dont make too much...just sufficient for a dozen or so meals.  Once you get it right , trust me you will know why PR's use it is most meals they make.

The funny thing is that all the work with this thing means nothing unless you cook it up right (sofreir...get it? sofrito, sofreir - Get it... huh???)  :D  The manteca (pork fat) makes it bloom...of if you want to keep it kosher or animal free you can just use olive oil with achiote (annato).  Of course, you most use achiote either way but they do make achiote fats but i preffer to make my own since the you can control the color intensity.  Then you have to remember things like bay leaf, cumin and  alcaparrado.  Have you ever eaten in a small restaurant in Vieques, Bayamon, Cabo Rojo, Camuy, La Parguera or small towns or even small hotels AKA paradores?  This are the places you will eat a traditional meal with a 300 - 400 year old recipe and you will say...WOW - how come the tostones or the pork or the snapper doesnt taste the same. Why doesnt the arroz con guandules taste as good as the ones I ate in that place in Guanica?  IT's THE G-DAMN SOFRITO PEOPLE!!!!   
Whatever...I think this videos is "cute" and you will learn how to make a "not traditional recaito" or "nuevo latino" style recaito  :2funny: instead of a sofrito  ::)

....and....what was I saying??? 

Time is running out!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »
Love the sofrito man!!  LOL  He's lovely!!

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »
Alright, Marlene - you've tempted us to look at a vacation long weekend in October to San Juan...I know it's the tail end of hurricane season, which doesn't concern me too much, but I see it's also the rainy season...would we just get rained out?
- MW

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:24 PM »
Alright, Marlene - you've tempted us to look at a vacation long weekend in October to San Juan...I know it's the tail end of hurricane season, which doesn't concern me too much, but I see it's also the rainy season...would we just get rained out?

A little too early to plan anything.  Just contacted my dad who indicates that half of Puerto Rico is without power since Earl's tail passed off shore.  So I can't say much about October traveling.  You can wait until the week before your plan on traveling to book the flight.  I always do.  Email me off line at marleneflores25@yahoo.com and I'll help you with as much as possible.

Best,

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2010, 03:21:11 AM »
Coquito!!

Rum, cream of coconut, eggs, condensed milk, vanilla, spices and rum.

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
Mi Isla!!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »