Author Topic: PUERTO RICO  (Read 68356 times)

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
Re: PUERTO RICO
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2010, 05:06:12 PM »
I saw today that the city of San Juan is planning to ban cars from the Isletta district of the city (the oldest part), similar to what's been done in many European center cities as a part of a massive preservation/renewal project.

http://www.planetizen.com/node/45271
The oldest city in the Americas bans cars from its colonial streets and outlines a plan to make San Juan more livable. The city of San Juan has unveiled a plan to make its oldest district, Isleta, livable and walkable. Isleta is a small island connected to mainland Puerto Rico by a series of bridges and a ferry. These are not enough to suit the needs of its citizens. Banning automobiles from Old San Juan and adding a light rail system are the first and most important steps, followed by the revitalization of old neighborhoods, an emphasis on public spaces and walkability and new mixed-use developments. The plan affects Isleta, which is composed of Puerta de Tierra and the more well-known and touristy Old San Juan, and the Convention Center District.
- MW

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2010, 11:12:37 AM »
Here are some photos of my wonderful family trip to Puerto Rico!  Enjoy,

Best,

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »
A few more of the trip.  Many to come!!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2010, 12:27:19 PM »
This is where I spent most of my time.  Boqueron, Puerto Rico

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2010, 07:56:34 PM »
More photos of my trip to Puerto Rico and my yacht en la marina!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
Another Photo en Guayama!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »
Missing Puerto Rico so much this evening!!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2010, 09:26:17 AM »

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »
While driving in Puerto Rico I listened to the best music.  Here are some of the words of different songs.  Some are very romantic.  For those that like latin music you will certainly appreciate the words and recognize the song.  Y nos fuimos:

Yo naci en Puerto Rico pero en Nueva Yor me crie. Oye Puertorro del alma. Puerto Rico yo nunca dejare de amarte. Pero mi corazon se quedo frente al Viejo San Juan. Yo no me quedo me voy para Borinquen.

El hijo de obatala ya se contento. Ese ese soy yo. Ray Barreto y como toca.

Hoy te doy la libertad a volar donde quieras. Necesitas vivir, para aprender a querer. Que yo se que muy pronto me extranaras. Que te vaya bien.

Eres tu mi amor, eres mi ilusion, la razon de mi existencia. Como podre arancarte de mi si he de vivir pensando solo en ti.

Llevame si quieres hasta el fondo del dolor. Ya no soporto la terible soledad. Yo sin su amor no soy nada. Has esta noche perpetua.  Como podre arrancarte de mi si he de vivir pensando solo en ti.

Olvida las apariencies utiliza la conciencia. Siembra humildad.

Mi isla querida cuanto lloro por ti. Ya me voy con alegria de que mis hijos cantaron Borinquen pero con tristeza por no poder cargarte en mis brazos y llevarte conmigo. Mi Borinquen por siempre estas en mi corazon y por siempre te llamare Preciosa.

Best,

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »
Most Boricuas came from a town called Ponce probably one of the poorest town in Puerto Rico until about the 80's (I was born in the Bronx but raised in Bayamon).  Interesting that Ponce has the most prestigious museum in all of the Caribbean.  I have been there several times and it seems out of place since we were not raised to understand high-art in NYC poor schools for that matter.  I'm embarrassed to say that I couldn't believe what I saw...I couldn't believe that Puerto Rico would have ownership of some of the memorable paintings in the world.  I had been there many times before but My friends that came with me about 4 years ago (6 of them, only 2 were of PR descent) were puzzled and one of the guys (the Jew in the group  :2funny:) made a joke about it and said...if I wanted a museum like this I would have stayed in NY...  He was expecting some Taino, kunta, African native art so he was in fact confused (hehehe)

The Barons of the Serralles family makers of

But Musically and most importantly (artistically / opera speaking)....

Antonio Paoli...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFXJOg9Xxg&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:54:44 PM by NYC Native »
Time is running out!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »
NYC Native:

So happy you are part of the conversation again.  I've been talking to myself lately.

Mommy's favorite painting is of that lovely lady dressed in orange and simply resting on her fabulous chair.  She was able to see the exhibition in Ponce and came home and all I remember is her wanting to buy a hug fabulous chair and the beautiful dress too!  LOL

Hugs,

Marlene

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
Marlene,  Flaming June by Fredric Leighton is even more stunning and special when you stand and stare...I think it was in exhibition in Europe between 2008 and 2009...not sure , but it should be back in in Ponce by now.  I
was busy keeping a few key workers on a few smaller private jobs while preparing for a busy season...There is much to be said about the old saying, It is calmest before the Storm  
Time is running out!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2010, 07:54:13 AM »
There is nothing like living in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

Congaborikua Cribs El Penthouse de Diego Centeno by Paoli Mejias

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU5KYk8sAfU

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2010, 08:02:09 AM »
Una Descarga en el Viejo San Juan, Puerto Rico

Cumplaeaños de Diego Centeno descarga de percusion # 1 solo de timbal David Rosado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dey537bdFCg&feature=player_embedded#!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
Puerto Rico Wins Jr. Softball World Series

http://www.jrsoftballworldseries.com/

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »