Author Topic: Tawa Tandoor  (Read 10169 times)

Offline CRABBYPATTY

• Activist
Re: Tawa Tandoor
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »
Come on Lilybell wake up and smell the masala with the name Tawa Tandoor my guess is it won't be Italian.  
I'm curious as to what will be in the breakfast buffet.  American-style or Indian-style?  I'm completely ignorant as to what most S. Asians eat for breakfast.

Offline C11106

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 07:06:54 AM »
Come on Lilybell wake up and smell the masala with the name Tawa Tandoor my guess is it won't be Italian.  

I was wondering the same thing as Lilybell.  Yes, it will likely be indian-style food, but just wondering if the breakfast buffet serves the same food served at other meal times, or if there are special dishes prepared for breakfast.

Offline Griswold Contessa

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 12:40:24 PM »
If Tawa is a South Indian restaurant the typical breakfast fare would be dosa masala, poori, idli, vada, upma, sambar and always coconut chutney!
My favorite South Indian restaurant is the Dosa Hut in Flushing.  This place lacks in decor but totally makes up for it in there quality of food which is reasonable and satisfying!  :smitten:

I was wondering the same thing as Lilybell.  Yes, it will likely be indian-style food, but just wondering if the breakfast buffet serves the same food served at other meal times, or if there are special dishes prepared for breakfast.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Offline FoxyWiles

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 03:31:28 PM »
If Tawa is a South Indian restaurant the typical breakfast fare would be dosa masala, poori, idli, vada, upma, sambar and always coconut chutney!
My favorite South Indian restaurant is the Dosa Hut in Flushing.  This place lacks in decor but totally makes up for it in there quality of food which is reasonable and satisfying!  :smitten:

Thanks for the information, Contessa! I always like to find out what other cultures eat for breakfast. I love me some savory first meal. Like pho or miso soup with rice. Num nums.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »
interesting, as mehfil is far and away my least favorite south asian in the neigborhood. i've found very little to like in the east 20s array of indian places. by no means does jackson hts offer the best stuff -- southern spice in flushing and a few of the places in floral park are better by leaps and bounds -- but i'd say that some of the dishes (chicken 65, chicken chettinad) at delhi heights are amazing. kababish offers an amazing bang for the buck, the chat (pani puri, especially) at bombai chat on 37 road is very very good as is the mysore masala dosa at dosa place.

btw, editing to indicate this is a response to marky mark :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:15:39 PM by dssjh »

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »
ooh, me too, foxy! i've had a...um....savory tooth since i was little.....indian breakfasts are awesome. sometimes one can get ...and i don't know the proper name... a sort of savory cream of wheat/rice with spices. it's really bracing on a cold day!

oo, Thanks for the information, Contessa! I always like to find out what other cultures eat for breakfast. I love me some savory first meal. Like pho or miso soup with rice. Num nums.

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »
The dish you are referring to is called upma which is made of semolina it is one of my favorites.  I love to toast the rava(semolina)  add onions, ginger, cashew nuts, peas, carrots, dried red chilis, urad dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves and vegetable broth.  It is considered a South Indian comfort food.

ooh, me too, foxy! i've had a...um....savory tooth since i was little.....indian breakfasts are awesome. sometimes one can get ...and i don't know the proper name... a sort of savory cream of wheat/rice with spices. it's really bracing on a cold day!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
yes, that's exactly it, contessa! you make it sound so easy :)

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »
It really is that easy....the hardest part is gathering the ingredients.  We're very lucky to Patel Brothers in the nabe.

yes, that's exactly it, contessa! you make it sound so easy :)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Tawa Tandoor closed
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »
another 74th street vacancy. walked by today and Tawa Tandoor is completely swept out. handwritten sign says 'closed for renovations,' but i'd venture that's trumped by the officially printed sign saying "property seized by marshal."

not my favorite dining option, but a reliable, fresh buffet.

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
Re: Tawa Tandoor closed
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 07:33:20 PM »
I'm not surprised.  It started out being pretty good but, last time we went, we said "never again"!  I think ownership changed somewhere in there and the new one was not very experienced.

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 12:47:33 AM »
Meh.  I thought it had potential.  Design was nice and their subway ads were slick.  Then I ate there and got sick.  Soon thereafter i noticed they had a C rating on their outside that they tried to hide.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 03:41:26 AM »
Rents are crazy on that block, I dont know how any of the restaurants stay in business. Never ate there, looked nice though.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »
it was okay. seemed to draw a lot of South Asian families, which might be a testament to authenticity -- or just a byproduct of the fact that all big families tend to gravitate to places where you can eat a lot of food pretty cheaply.

Offline pynchoff

• Citizen
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »
Walked by Tawa Tandoor today and it was open for business.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »