Author Topic: Tawa Tandoor  (Read 10170 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Tawa Tandoor
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:42:16 PM »
Shereen Mahal Restaurant at 37-56 74th St is gone, and Tawa Tandoor is moving in.  At first, I hoped this might be an expansion of the Tawa Deli on 72nd Street that is a great place to buy Indian breads, but it appears that this is related to another Tawa Tandoor that opened recently in the Theater District.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: Tawa Tandoor
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:00:46 AM »
noooooooooooo

Offline citizenjane

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:49:12 AM »
Not that Shereen Mahal was amazing or anything, but I will miss the -24hour, catch me at the end of a long night, I need food - place it was.   So, this will be a chain?  Something tells me the new place is not going to catch me at 2am.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 07:20:08 PM »
I've never been to Tawa Tandoor, so I don't have an opinion about it.  But in fairness, I think it's important to note that many of the businesses in the neighborhood are "chains" in the sense that they have multiple locations in the region, or even internationally.  The higher-end jewelery and sari shops have locations in London and India.  Patel Brothers. Subzi Mandi, Apna Bazaar, and Rajbhog have multiple locations in the region.  So does Jackson Diner (although under different names), Kabir's Bakery, Afghan Kebab House, Nanking, and probably others.  Even Sripraphai is opening a new location!  Multiple locations doesn't necessarily sacrifice quality.

But I agree with you, citizenjane, I will miss Shereen Mahal, and will be very disappointed if its replacement is run-of-the-mill.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »
I was really surprised when I learned that Patel Brothers had another store in Massachusetts.  Even more surprised when I looked at their store locator online and saw that they have more than 30 stores located all throughout this half of the country and into Canada, including Texas, Chicago, Georgia, Mississippi, Ohio.  http://www.patelbros.com/ourstores.html
There is even one listed in Flushing.

Some of them are called "Cash and Carry" so maybe those are convenience stores.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
shereen always struck me as near the bottom of the food chain (no pun intended) in the area. but it had its moments. if you want 24 hour south asian food, i think merit dumpling house on 74th is open 24-7 as well. very good kebabs and, in the back, ace momo.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:37:29 AM »
According to the following site, Tawa Tandoor is owned by the same people behind Nanking.  Is it safe to assume that this is the Nanking we have a location of in Jackson Heights?  By the way, we also have a thread on Nanking here.

Tawa Tandoor
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 03:05:43 AM »
you guys are right, I shouldn't be so dismissive. I just don't expect much from an foreign food place coming out of Manhattan (except japanese, maybe korean).
I wonder what they did with that oven they cooked the naan in. I'd love to have that thing in my apt. make pizzas on it.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
Jeff, I love your Queens attitude!  I hear there's some good ethnic food to be had in Manhattan if you look hard enough.   ;)

The oven is actually called a tandoor... so there's a good chance it will remain in the new place.

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 04:46:48 AM »
Not only the name, but the logo is the same as the Manhattan location, so a connection between the two is a reasonable assumption. See my picture on Facebook.

Elyaqim Mosheh Adam (a.k.a. “Mark”)
Seventy-second Street
Blogger | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
Tawa Tandoor is advertising an all-you-can-eat breakfast for $6.95.  Looks like a good deal.

The Village Voice makes note of it:

Tawa Tandoor Is Now Serving All-You-Can-Eat Breakfast in Jackson Heights
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline FoxyWiles

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »
Tawa Tandoor is advertising an all-you-can-eat breakfast for $6.95.  Looks like a good deal.

The Village Voice makes note of it:

Tawa Tandoor Is Now Serving All-You-Can-Eat Breakfast in Jackson Heights

All you can eat breakfast sounds like an excuse to take a nap before lunch.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
I'm curious as to what will be in the breakfast buffet.  American-style or Indian-style?  I'm completely ignorant as to what most S. Asians eat for breakfast.

Offline markymark

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
Shelby- Cash and Carry stores are restaurant supply outlets.  It allows retail food operators to buy in bulk without having to buy too much of anything.  Its good for smaller retailers who dont have stellar credit or tons of cash on hand.  Costco operates this way for both resale and non-resale consumers. 

:) 

Offline markymark

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I've had better Indian food in Murray Hill then anything I've found in JH, except maybe at Mehfil.  If u have some suggestions for me, please send them, but this statement isnt meant to incite a war of words- its just a quiet statement of my experience these past 3 years.

If ur looking for some amazing South Indian- check out Tiffin Wallah on 28th Street near Lexington.  Its one of my favorite spots in the city.  I'd love it even more if it were in JH.

:)

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »