Author Topic: elliptical machine: apartment friendly?  (Read 11262 times)

Offline jadasie

• Activist
elliptical machine: apartment friendly?
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:42:58 PM »
I'm thinking about getting an elliptical machine. Are these as apartment friendly as I hope they are? I don't want to annoy my downstairs neighbor, and I'm hoping the low-impact of an elliptical won't be a nuisance. Anyone have any experience with one in a pre-war building?

judibean

Re: elliptical machine: apartment friendly?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:49:39 PM »
We had an elliptical machine for awhile in our 4th fl apt.  I used it weekly for about two month  :laugh:   No one ever complained.  We put a rug underneath it just in case.  You should be fine.  It's not a treadmill where there's a lot of foot stomping impact. 

Offline eddiestjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 11:20:06 PM »
I think an eliptical machine should be quiet.  My friend lived below a couple who had a treadmill and it is very noisy even though the people run on the treadmill not the floor.  It sounds like a horse running above.  My current neighbor above me and his girlfriend have been on an exercise kick the last two months.  From 7:00 to 8:15 every night she does a step routine and he lifts dumbells and places them down hard (drops?) on his bare floor.  Even though there is an 80% carpet rule they have zero carpeting.  He is a good guy and generally very quiet (no loud music or stomping) so I won't say anything since it could be and has been much worse.

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 06:04:19 AM »
what about a stationary bike?  Does it make a lot of noise for the person who lives underneath you?  I wanted to purchase one but was concerned about that.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
what about a stationary bike?  Does it make a lot of noise for the person who lives underneath you?  I wanted to purchase one but was concerned about that.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to mention that I have seen a product that is designed to reduce the noise from vibrations of exercise machines.  This is the first one that came up for me when I googled.  http://www.ivgstores.com/IVG2/Y/ProductID-64868-.htm

I'm sure there are many brands, styles and price points.  It might be worthwhile to read some reviews to see if people who own them think they help.

Offline lc1251

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:33:34 PM »
We had an elliptical and it was fine...

We just moved to a SOLE treadmill and put a thick exercise mat underneath it.  My neighbor downstairs says she doesn't hear anything.  The mat was relatively cheap so if you are concerned, that may help.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:33:34 PM »