Author Topic: New Eastern European / Polish Restaurant: U Dzika  (Read 24307 times)

Offline CRABBYPATTY

• Activist
Re: New Eastern European / Polish Restaurant
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »
I agree with MikeV the food looked a bit tired due to being warmed for way too long.  If they plan to remain here they have to work on this regardless how reasonable they are!

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
Lovely owner. She was delighted to hear the positive reports on this site. She is in the process of looking for a delivery person and printing up a takeout menu. Bought stuffed cabbage and mushroom barley soup for tonight.

Looking forward to trying other items soon.

enjoy!

Offline mic

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 12:02:16 PM »
The place is called "U Dzika", meaning "Boar's Place". The food is fresh and delicious! Made from scratch every day! And it's really cheap, especially for Jackson Heights. They do deliveries. The staff is super friendly. They speak Polish and English. Finally we got a Polish diner in Jackson Heights!!!  :rockon:

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »
Everything I have had from here has been fresh and delicious.
Great addition to the neigborhood. :rockon:

Offline Metsboy

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
Wait a minute..a Polish place in Jackson Heights ?  :2funny:
I love Polish food..usually go to greenprent for my fix.

Lomzynianka
646 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn 11211
At Nassau Ave
Phone: 718-389-9439

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 11:11:08 AM »
Finally visited this place last Thursday evening on my way home from work when I didn't feel like cooking, and I must say everything was delicious. I ordered enough food to make two meals because I wanted to sample a little of everything. I am so happy to be able to get homemade pierogi and stuffed cabbage in the neighborhood now (two items I would never bother to make myself). And as others here have stated, the woman who owns the place was extremely friendly. I'll definitely be going back here on a regular basis.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »
Wait a minute..a Polish place in Jackson Heights ?  :2funny:
I love Polish food..usually go to greenprent for my fix.

Lomzynianka
646 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn 11211
At Nassau Ave
Phone: 718-389-9439

metsboy, there's a polish deli across from the Greenpoint park on, I think, Norman Ave.   Inside is 3 or 4 polish woman who make everything fresh daily.  I can't remember the name but they have delicious food.

I want to try this new JHs place tonight.  I'm looking forward to cutlets and mashed potatoes. YUM.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 12:44:47 PM by buddy »
First, do no harm.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 03:01:58 PM »
So I realized they were NOT an eat in restaurant but a deli with a table so I got take out:  breaded pork cutlet stuffed with ham & cheese, mashed potatoes and home made sauerkraut.

Can I say the sauerkraut was FABULOUS!  Wow.  And I enjoyed my mashed potatoes, too.  The pork cutlet was nice but I realized AFTER THE FACT that I'm not a "stuffed cutlet" person... prefer plain.   But that's not their fault.  It was good also.

Very nice addition to this end of 37th Ave.  HURRAY.
First, do no harm.

Offline Queenskid

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 08:44:25 PM »
Stopped there tonight.  I loved the stuffed cabbage and the sauerkraut.  And you can't beat the prices.  There was a guy talking to the woman behind the counter.  She told me he was translating the menu into English and Spanish. That would be a big plus.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 10:06:04 PM »
I tried to call U Dzika today. The number is nowhere to be found. Does anyone know it? Are they open on Xmas Eve?

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 12:53:23 AM »
you can try 347-750-9318
that's the number on the quasi-menu. I've never got someone to pick up though. answering machine seemed like a cell phone.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 08:10:45 PM »
Jeff, you're a life saver. I called, they picked up, and I arranged for my Christmas Eve dinner. (Wo, it's hard to type after a xmas party.)

Merry Christmas everybody!!!

Offline mic

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »
I'm Polish and I must say it's very flattering to ready all this positive feedback from you guys  :rockon:

I'm very happy "U Dzika" opened in the hood. I spoke to Alex and Beata (the owners) and they tell me they're working on improving the menu they've been distributing (they will add the 718 number). Also, they say they're doing what they can to make the place friendly for people to order the food to stay. I always eat there, 'cause I don't like carrying the food home and re-heating it. They're very cool to talk to and also make great coffee (do try it!).

Just so you guys know, the stuff they have in stock aside from meals is also worth checking out. Juices, sauces, jams, pickles, spices, all kinds of candy ("delicje" are a must, trust me!), a variety of meats and cheese, all of it very high quality, and competitive even with C-Town's prices. They also have a large variety of cakes, which are delivered from Polish bakeries in Greenpoint. Last time I went there with a friend, I couldn't get out for 2 hrs, 'cause of the coffee and cake I kept indulging myself with after the meal  :)

One more thing, both Alex and Beata told me they need all feedback they can get from the customers, so even if you don't like something you've ordered, they want to know in order to fix it for the next time. One time the potatoes were a bit too salty, I mentioned it, and they tried to do everything they could to make it up to me. So, don't be shy, people  ::)

I'm really hoping "U Dzika" survives and stays with us for good, even though they tell me it costs a fortune to open up an establishment like that in Jack Hts nowadays.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 10:06:51 AM »
I'd like to add that they have the european nutella. it's creamier than the american version.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »
hey Jeff, I bought some dark chocolate wafer type cookie/candy that Beata recommended.  She said she was addicted to it!  It was delish.   

I definitely will buy other things from them to help them out.  The first year for a new business is always the hardest. 
First, do no harm.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »