Author Topic: New Eastern European / Polish Restaurant: U Dzika  (Read 24219 times)

Offline Griswold Girl

• Activist
New Eastern European / Polish Restaurant: U Dzika
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:20:04 PM »
Walking down 37th Avenue tonight and noticed that an Eastern European restaurant is opening up in what I think used to be the old Inti Raymi space (37th Ave and 87th Street about).  There is a Polish flag flying out front.  I am super excited about this.  Perfect filling comfort food for the cold months ahead.  They are not open yet, but hopefully soon.  I was sorry to see Inti Raymi close but glad something is opening up that we don't already have in the neighborhood.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:39:38 PM by toddg »

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: New Eastern European / Polish Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »
that sounds great! can't wait to get my kapusta on!

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »
I'm really excited to hear about this place! And surprised that nobody's attempted to fill this niche until now  :smitten:

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »
The restaurant is opening today at Noon.   I spoke with a young Polish man a little while ago.  They plan to have all the Polish specialities plus fresh meat and cold cuts, special cookies and coffee, smoothie's, hamburger and hot dogs, sandwiches custom made, fresh fruit and some groceries.  It seems that the Eastern European populaion in the 80's & 90's is much larger than I thought according to this young man.  The restaurant is very simple decor with tables and counter space.  I imagine this will have an impact on Monica's since they'll be carrying deli items.  This is an exciting addition to the neighborhoold.  They deliver.  They don't have a menu but rather a flyer which is written in English, Polish & Spanish.  

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »
this sounds like sunday dinner to me! thanks for the update. :rockon:

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 02:14:43 PM »
dssjh:  I just got back with this evenings dinner.  Large breaded pork cutlet with real mashed potatoes and red cabbage salad.  Also, a Polish soup with large piece of polish sausage.  Entree is $6.50 for both lunch and dinner and the soup is $2.25.  No tax.  This is not a sit down restaurant with a menu.  Lots of seating but no waitress service.  You order from the steam table.  They had about 5 choices with several sides.  I just sampled the soup, the entree and sides and its all very good.  At $6.50, I don't plan on doing a lot of cooking.  The cold cuts looked fantastic and they're all labeled.  Very good English spoken. 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:08:15 PM »
at that price, i am so sold. okay, it's ten blocks. but hunger will make a person walk a little faster! ;D

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 04:32:33 PM »
It's also 10 block from me.  I live on 77th Street.  Well worth the walk.  Enjoy.

Offline earlie

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »
it's delicious. And the owners are really nice! I wanted to have the homemade dumplings with goulash, but they were sold out by the time I got there! Instead I got this grilled sausage that was phenomenal, and mashed potatoes with mushroom sauce. Next time I will just get there earlier!

Offline leoooog

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 09:08:37 PM »
They were closing up by the time I got there tonight. Blast!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 11:27:20 PM »
oh, it's legit. here are some pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orlick/sets/72157622802391284/
the owner made it clear that this was a deli and not a restaurant. seh seemed puzzled that people wanted to eat there, but she said the food is served warm, not hot. meant to take home. BUT the seating is pretty quaint. There's lots ofroom. I think they will find more and more people will want to eat there. I had basically the same thign as mike v - the pork cutlets. That's real food.

6.50 for lunch. I really like this place. I hope they keep it up.

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »
I arrived this afternoon at 3.  The food looked like it had been out for quite a while and looked unappealing.  I ended up with two containers of soup (pickle soup & tomato with noodle). 

A thought:  I would like to suggest to the owner that after the food is cooked that it not be placed on a hot steam table but rather a cold table.  Since most customer will take food home and reheat it its not necessary to keep it warm.  If someone wanted it heated to take home or eat in they could place the food in a microwave.

The Indian Restaurant on 74th St Merit Farms does what I just suggested above.  They will heat it in a microwave but its on a cold table and always looks fresh.  I always take food home cold and reheat when I ready to have dinner.  I would also like to do this with food from the Deli.

I would appreciate comments before I speak with the owner.  Will she be offended? 

Offline jadasie

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »
I stopped by yesterday afternoon just to check the place out. I didn't order anything, so I can't comment on the food, but the guy working the counter mentioned how they run out of food quickly because they make limited quantities so that things stay fresh. Food looked good to me though.

Offline Griswold Girl

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 08:46:10 PM »
I had yummy Golumbki (cabbage rolls) and the most wonderful croquette.  I bought dinner for two people for $6.  Everything was so fresh tasting and delicious.  The female owner was so nice.  She said to come back this weekend.  They are making fresh pierogi on Saturday and Sunday.

Offline 718mom

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »
I can't wait to try this place!  What are they called? Do they deliver? What's the number?
What time do they close?
Thank you!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »