Author Topic: Former Nazi guard living in JH  (Read 7418 times)

Offline Matt

• Council Member
Re: Former Nazi guard living in JH
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »

Offline Gordan

• Activist
Re: Former Nazi guard living in JH
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 12:03:32 AM »
Read this yesterday. Much more in depth than anything that's been written about this over the years. Interesting to see how this story has gained traction during Trump's tenure and how it exposes the farce of who is targeted for deportation. Why not let this guy languish in a private prison in some other state? Thats a rhetorical question. I know already know the answer.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
Neighborhood Nazi Nixed
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 08:09:58 AM »
The feds have finally decided to deport the guy. sighs of relief all around (and cue the chorus of "he's an old man, leave him alone, what's a few thousand murders between friends?")

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-news-ny-nazi-deport-20180821-story.html

Offline wlirfan

• Activist
Re: Neighborhood Nazi Nixed
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »
I don't think you'll find many people opposing this news.  Glad it finally happened - no matter what his age.  He helped to kill thousands.  He should not be left to rest in comfort in our neighborhood until his death.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 10:59:04 AM »
Coincidentally, last week I went to the House of Terror in Budapest (former headquarters of the communist secret police with exhibitions to commemorate the victims of the fascist and communist regimes of Hungary in the 20th century) with some family members, and afterwards was telling them how I live only a few blocks from the last known Nazi in the US, and explaining how supposedly he couldn't be deported. I'll have to send them the link to let them know we finally got rid of this criminal!

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »
I don't think you'll find many people opposing this news.  Glad it finally happened - no matter what his age.  He helped to kill thousands.  He should not be left to rest in comfort in our neighborhood until his death.

i would hope you are right. perhaps i was on another forum when i encountered the "defenders" (not really defenders, but ... you know...blind eye types).

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
I don't think it's so clear cut. Why is this happening now? I don't totally feel comfortable with it. He is 95 and was led out on a stretcher - he probably has nothing left in him. It just seems like they are saying 'See? ICE can do some pretty good things too.' ---- I'd rather he was still here and they wouldn't break the families up in our neighborhood. I don't want to take any gifts from Donald Trump.

He should have been gone a long time ago and I don't feel like them using him as a pawn now to manipulate us.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
Its just recently that the US was able to convince Germany to accept Mr. Palij.  I'm certain there are many who are wondering how sending Mr. Palij to the magnificent city of Duesseldorf to spend his remaining years in a Care Facility that I'm convinced will be far superior to our Queens Nursing Homes is punishment.   There will never be a trial.  The Trump Administration has been under pressure from many Organizations and Politicians to deport Mr. Palij and it happened.  I don't understand why it didn't happen when Presidents Bush & Obama were in office.  Anyway, I'm happy he's gone. 

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »
if we had an Esso station on Northern, i'd say we could handle it ourselves, but we don't.

Offline kmjh

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 07:20:43 AM »
Its just recently that the US was able to convince Germany to accept Mr. Palij.  I'm certain there are many who are wondering how sending Mr. Palij to the magnificent city of Duesseldorf to spend his remaining years in a Care Facility that I'm convinced will be far superior to our Queens Nursing Homes is punishment.   There will never be a trial.  The Trump Administration has been under pressure from many Organizations and Politicians to deport Mr. Palij and it happened.  I don't understand why it didn't happen when Presidents Bush & Obama were in office.  Anyway, I'm happy he's gone.

Because no country would take him until Germany changed its mind.
From the Times story

"He was ordered deported in 2004. But the United States could not find a country willing to take him. So Mr. Palij remained a New Yorker during an international game of keep-away between Poland, Ukraine and Germany. (He was born in a part of Poland that is now part of Ukraine.)"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/nyregion/nazi-queens-deported.html

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 08:28:00 AM »
A US Judge ordered his deportation in 2004 but since he was someone without a Country no one wanted him.  I don't understand why at that time Mr. Palij was not sent to Israel to stand trial which would have made the most sense.   

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 08:50:41 AM »
A US Judge ordered his deportation in 2004 but since he was someone without a Country no one wanted him.  I don't understand why at that time Mr. Palij was not sent to Israel to stand trial which would have made the most sense.   

while i appreciate the knife-twist there, and as much as i personally think the man is guilty, he did deserve a trial, not a summary execution by a jury of his victims.

Offline wlirfan

• Activist
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 10:33:14 AM »
I don't want to take any gifts from Donald Trump.

He should have been gone a long time ago and I don't feel like them using him as a pawn now to manipulate us.

I'll take this gift.  And an impeachment followed by a prison sentence for him, Junior and Jared (a boy can dream).

Offline queenskid2

• Activist
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »

while i appreciate the knife-twist there, and as much as i personally think the man is guilty, he did deserve a trial, not a summary execution by a jury of his victims.

He did get a trial, before a federal judge who found that he lied on his naturalization application.  The judge then stripped him of his US citizenship.  This was NOT a "summary execution by a jury of his victims."  He received more due process than the Jews who were in fact summarily executed in the camp where he worked. 

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
i'm talking about the suggestion that he be sent to Israel for trial. i thought that was clear.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »