Author Topic: Former Nazi guard living in JH  (Read 7178 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Former Nazi guard living in JH
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »
The protest will involve 50 students from a Queens high school going to protest outside this person's home on 89th St. in JH.  Info below.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/134286

(IsraelNN.com) Monday, November 9, marks the 71st anniversary of Kristallnacht, the Night of Broken Glass, which is widely considered the beginning of the Holocaust -- and high school in students in New York will mark the occasion by demanding the deportation of a Nazi war criminal.

On November 9-10, 1938, gangs of Nazi youth, with the unofficial but clear encouragement of Nazi leaders, committed pogroms in Jewish neighborhoods throughout Germany and Austria. They smashed Jewish storefronts and homes, destroyed over 250 synagogues, and vandalized over 7,500 Jewish stores and businesses. Close to 100 Jews were killed, and 26,000 were arrested and sent to concentration camps.

In Queens, New York, two high schools will commemorate the event by demanding the deportation of a known Nazi war criminal from the U.S. to Germany. The German government has refused to accept the deportation of Jakiw Palij, whose U.S. citizenship has been revoked. Female students will protest on Monday morning outside Palij’s home, followed later by a boys’ protest in front of the German Mission to the UN.

Follow link above for complete article.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
Re: Protest tomorrow against Nazi war criminal in JH (Nov. 9, 2009)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 11:52:36 AM »
I think these protests against Jakiw Palij have been scheduled regularly for the past few years.

Here's a video clip from NY1 from the 2007 protest:

Jewish Students Call For Deportation Of Alleged Nazi War Criminal
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
Interesting.  Maybe he will arrange not to be home on the days of the protests.   It doesn't sound like the protests are resulting in any action, but I guess they are drawing attention to the matter.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:26:27 PM »
Here's a video from NY1 on today's protest:

Rally Held Outside Home Of Accused Nazi War Criminal
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline DCTRANSPLANT

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:52:10 AM »
Why isn't he being sent to Israel?

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:09:33 AM »
the protests certainly draw the attention of innocent neighbors whose quality of life is trashed when these protests happen.

don't get me wrong....not defending this individual in any way, and i genuinely believe he should be deported. but having had close friends who lived on the block where john demjanjuk -- the cleveland war criminal who was finally removed from our country after 25 years of this -- lived, i know that the bile spewed at the accused's home splashes onto everyone who resides on the block.

Interesting.  Maybe he will arrange not to be home on the days of the protests.   It doesn't sound like the protests are resulting in any action, but I guess they are drawing attention to the matter.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: CNN article about former Nazi guard living in JH
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 10:18:47 AM »
The article says he's quietly living out his life, but didn't mention the annual protests that are staged outside his house.  I don't know, maybe they're not happening anymore, but we did have a thread a few years ago where someone mentioned the protests happen once a year.  http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=3618.msg23634#msg23634

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
Re: CNN article about former Nazi guard living in JH
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
I don't remember that thread so thanks for linking to it!

Offline Gordan

• Citizen
Revived Nazi neighbor story
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 07:07:04 PM »
This is a story that re-surfaces every few years but, it made the cover of the Daily news today.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/jewish-hs-students-protest-nyc-home-nazi-guard-article-1.3095898

Online dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Revived Nazi neighbor story
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:45:04 PM »
i'm proud of those kids. we had a decrepit old Nazi like this in my neighborhood when i was growing up - a rat named John Demjanjuk. the apologists said 'he's old, it was a long time ago, let it go.' like he racked up parking tickets or something. the USA finally deported him and he croaked after being convicted as an accessory to the murders of 28,000 Jews.

while i advocate punching Nazis whenever possible, i wouldn't punch this one myself. i would, however, hold his arms to his sides so a Holocaust survivor could do so. it's the least i could do.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »
i'm proud of those kids. we had a decrepit old Nazi like this in my neighborhood when i was growing up - a rat named John Demjanjuk. the apologists said 'he's old, it was a long time ago, let it go.' like he racked up parking tickets or something. the USA finally deported him and he croaked after being convicted as an accessory to the murders of 28,000 Jews.

while i advocate punching Nazis whenever possible, i wouldn't punch this one myself. i would, however, hold his arms to his sides so a Holocaust survivor could do so. it's the least i could do.

Yes, I agree; proportionality requires that he be punched by another 90-year-old.

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »
The article raised the question of whether he'd been receiving social security or other payments here in the U.S.
That certainly needs addressing.

Offline wlirfan

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
I agree with the kids here.  If he were an ordinary day to day soldier fighting for the Nazis, no, he shouldn't be prosecuted.  But the guards and the people at these camps were not day to day recruits.  These were cushy assignments given to what the Nazis felt were their strongest supporters.  People with connections that led a good life with their families, while torturing and killing others. 

I'm shocked that this guy is still here, and that the U.S. isn't doing anything about it.  At the very least, citizenship should be revoked as he would have had to lie on his application to be able to live here.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
Re: Former Nazi guard living in JH
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »
He's back in the news.

NYT Editorial Board: Justice Long Delayed for Nazi Collaborator (Nov. 29, 2017)
Times Ledger: Trump administration pledges to deport former Nazi guard living in Jackson Heights (Nov. 30, 2017)

Jackson Heights Life

Re: Former Nazi guard living in JH
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »