Author Topic: JH Food Carts News & Discussion  (Read 31078 times)

Offline yt28

• Citizen
Re: JH Food Carts News & Discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »
There's a new food cart by the 74th St station! It's a teriyaki chicken/spicy pork joint, run by (I think!) Nepali ladies! They were offering samples - it's generic teriyaki chicken but I didn't try the spicy pork...

Oh man, all these decisions I have to make when I step out of the train station...

Offline Gherm

• Citizen
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »
I've been having some great quesadillas at a cart between 85th and 86th on Roosevelt. Spicy chicken with potatoes or just plain chicken. They're only around on the weekends, but they're delicioso.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:57 PM »
Grub Street has summarized an interview of Cesar Fuentes, vendor and spokesman for the Red Hook Food Vendors Committee in Red Hook, Brooklyn.  Pork Chop Express blogger, J. Slab, sat down with Mr. Fuentes to address issues including the change from the use of the vendors' traditional food tents to the new City mandated food trucks.  Mr. Fuentes expresses concern over the higher costs associated with compliance with the City's new rules and how this may affect the Red Hook vendors.  As a side note, when asked about his favorite tacos, Mr. Fuentes gives a thumbs-up to the taco trucks that line Roosevelt Avenue along the #7 train route.

Grub Street Summary

Pork Chop Express Blog

The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Birch-Ed

• Citizen
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 02:12:03 PM »
Guys...you guys are brave.  I would never buy food from a Cart. 

Word of warning...most of you know where Sammy's Cart is, always on the Broadway side close to the corner with 73rd Street.  On the 73rd Street corner close to Broadway, there is another cart that only leaves once a week to clean his cart.  He is there 24/7.  This particular one, besides the cleanliness, he stores all his plates and extra food in his blue-ish green van which is usually parked right by his cart.  The food in his van is not refrigerated and we have called the Fire Department a few times on him because he would keep extra propane gas tanks in his car ( about 6 at a time ) which was hazardous.  We've talked to the Health Department  a few times in reference to his practices. Last February he was contacted by the Health Department and was ordered to leave, but he is back with the same practices.  So watch what you eat!!!

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 06:22:37 PM »
Birch most of the time I'd agree with you especially about the carts... where do they go to the bathroom?  when they cough or blow their noses how do they clean their hands?  etc. etc.

And yet, like George Carlin has said in his "fear of germs" riffs: we have become a nation neurotic and obsessed with "GERMS".  "In prison, before they give you a lethal injection THEY SWAB YOUR ARM WITH ALCOHOL?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-yH_Qyipc
First, do no harm.

Offline Birch-Ed

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 07:05:29 AM »
where do they go to the bathroom? That I have not witnessed.

when they cough or blow their noses how do they clean their hands?  This I have witnessed and they just wipe their hands on their pants..

And remember I can only speak to the ones that I can see from my terrace.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »
As a fan and frequent customer of food carts, I find the are equally as professional in their food handling practices as their indoor counterparts (at least those quick-preparation places where you can watch your meal being made). 

That said, while I enjoy watching my meal being prepared, but certainly understand why some may find it unappetizing.  Sausage-making is a metaphor for a reason.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 10:04:54 AM »

Offline GregNYC

• Activist
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
where do they go to the bathroom?

Some of the carts have a rotation of 3 people, with 2 people at the cart at any given time.  The third person can leave, for what I assume is a break.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 07:40:35 PM »
okay. that's good to know.  when I think of some of the road side stands I've eaten off (Mexico, London, Prague) and nothing's killed me yet, I suppose I can eat off the local stands here in JHs.  Maybe I'm more squeamish with age... or maybe I'm more discerning.  who knows.
First, do no harm.

Offline hoodsy

• Resident
Suckling Pig?
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 01:41:06 AM »
There was (is?) a stand on the NW corner of Roosevelt/81st that featured roast suckling pig, hominy, tamales, everything absolutely delicious and authentic.  Haven't seen them in recent weeks.  Any info of this stand, run by 2 women...?

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
At Serious Eats, Joe DiStefano describes the new offerings at Shangrila Express.

He loved the Dopa Katsa (but remember, folks, you read it here first!).

Offline JHICON

• Activist
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 04:16:32 PM »
There's a new food cart by the 74th St station! It's a teriyaki chicken/spicy pork joint, run by (I think!) Nepali ladies! They were offering samples - it's generic teriyaki chicken but I didn't try the spicy pork...

Oh man, all these decisions I have to make when I step out of the train station...

that cart use to be around La Guardia college when I went to the people I hate there portions its crappy.
I love controversy geezer's brace yourselves lolol.

Offline 718mom

• Activist
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
I have tried them all but the one I always go back to is gyro/rice at the halal cart in front of Commerce Bank at 37th Ave.  I get gyro rice with white sauce only baby! It's very good.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »
A new blog, Lost Taco tackles the challenge of finding the best tacos in New York.   It's written by a veteran fan of the Southern California taco truck scene.  So far, the blog hasn't yet gotten to my favorite taco cart, El Gallo Giro, but several other sites in Jackson Heights are already reviewed.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »