Author Topic: JH Food Carts News & Discussion  (Read 31656 times)

Offline NY_Epicuriousity

• Resident
Re: JH Food Carts News & Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 01:09:57 PM »
Shangrlia has been pretty intermittent as of late, but thankfully they were there last night.  He's always in the same spot though.

The momo's are similar to chinese dumplings, but they're only steamed, they're bready-er (like it's real dough, and not a wonton skin) and stuffed with a more highly seasoned meat than the chinese.  Also their hot sauce is really good (the owner makes it from scratch himself, along with the dumplings).

judibean

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 01:15:17 PM »
Thanks for the visual!  Will be looking for it tonight!

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »
Hey buddy,
..... and he also makes his own red and green hot sauces.

He's on the corner of 74th and broadway on the broadway facing side of the street in front of Astoria bank.  He is there some nights too - I've had the man serve me himself.

thanks.  finally found it.  It was a little better than the one I had off 37th Ave.  Got the same dish for comparison minus the white sauce.  Sammy's chicken was less grizzly and his hot sauce was thicker and hotter.  I like it.
First, do no harm.

judibean

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »
Found Shangrila Express last night and got an order of momos and shambalays, with free chicken soup to boot.  When I dug in, I was quite disappointed, maybe because it was hyped up a bit on this board and in other places.  The momos look exactly like steamed Chinese potstickers (not wontons) on the outside, but lack the flavor punch of potstickers on the inside- where are the tiny slivers of onions, mushrooms, scallions, SALT AND SEASONING?  The shambalays were not much better- they had the same bland meat inside.  The sauce that came with both didn't help.  It was very spicy (good) but somewhat bitter and I was surprised enough by that that I opted for my own soy sauce instead.  The only thing I really liked was the chicken soup- very rich in flavor.  I'm not getting the overall appeal of this place, but to each his own.     

andolicious

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
i've had the shangrilla express but i dont really enjoy their food except for the momos. other than that its sammy's or the taco cart in front of the train station on roosey. the one called "El Gallo Giro" the only time i've ever had tacos from the other cart was by mistake and those tacos arent good at all. you can taste that they're kind of cheap with their ingredients.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »
Not much news on JH food carts recently, but here's a Chow report on new yummy Mexican carts in Woodside.

Offline Greentea822

• Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
A friend of mine from BK mentioned something about suckling pig in JH.  anyone know anything about that?

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »
There's a suckling pig on one of the Ecuadorian carts on Roosevelt, north side, in the mid 80s.  The last time I saw the cart, it was on a Saturday, early afternoon.  The cart also sells humitas (similar to a tamal) in addition to other Ecuadorian favorites.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline GregNYC

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 02:07:25 AM »
I am huge fan of the two dollar tacos on Roosevelt between 74 and 75th Street.  I belive the sign above the cart says "Mexican Food" and there are usually two guys or a guy and girl working the cart - only open after seven pm.

Last night, I went to this cart, located right out the subway station.  I liked their chicken tacos.  They serve it with tomatillo salsa, onions, cilantro, with limes, radish and jalalpeno on the side.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
According to New York Magazine, the Arepa Lady is back for the season!  Track the latest news here.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 10:54:52 PM »
I've been a momo addict as long as Shangrila Express has been around.  So I was happy to see a couple of new items added to their menu: Chele and Dopa Katsa.  New adventures!

Chele is described as dry, spicy beef served over rice.
The Dopa Katsa doesn't have any description at all.  I had to taste that one first.

I previously asked about the Dopa Katsa - what is it, and how is it served (in bread, over rice)?  I was told that it was beef, that it was very spicy, and that it was served as a "snack" (not in portion size, but in eating style).  Today I returned to order it.  The person working today had no idea what I was asking for, and had to step out of the cart to see what I was pointing at.  Once he understood, he prepared a generous portion of very spicy beef tripe.  Tripe is not my thing, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I tried it and it was delicious.  It's not very snack-like, so perhaps it is intended to be eaten as an appetizer.  In any case, mystery solved. 

Next adventure: Chele... stay tuned!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:59:44 AM by toddg »

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »
todd, you're a more adventurous eater than I am.  tripe! yikes.
First, do no harm.

Offline spanishfish

• Activist
  • JH_AB
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »
Tripe can be delicious in menudo, which they happen to serve at Coatzingo.
I didn't see it on the menu, but they did have it when asked.
-JH_AB

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »
It's not something I would order intentionally, and although the Dopa Katsa was very tasty, I didn't finish it.  But I'm glad I tried it once!  People who do enjoy eating tripe in other cuisines should like this.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »
If you're looking for a large selection of tropical fruits on a cart and don't mind a long walk, there's a guy who usually sets up on Northern Blvd. around 111th St. in Corona.  The other day he had sugar cane at least 5 feet high, plus he had small bags of sugar cane pieces that he'd stripped of the bark.  Also papyas, a few kinds of mangoes and even a few things I didn't recognize.  I bought chopped mango and it was the best (sweetest) I've had from a cart so far this year.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »