Author Topic: JH Food Carts News & Discussion  (Read 31770 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: JH Food Carts News & Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »
Has anybody tried the new tamale truck at 75th Street?

I had their "mole" tamale, which resembled the "Oaxaca" style tamales I used to get in Manhattan (spicy/oily red sauce), but was a bit too high on the starch/meat ratio.  There are several other types of tamales on their menu with unfamiliar names... more research!

Heights_Troll

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2008, 10:03:56 PM »

not sure if he still works this cart (outside of the 74th st subway stop main entrance), but how are the tacos?

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
He works in El Gallo Giro, my favorite of the taco carts that work at this location.  I'm addicted to their tacos and tortas.

Offline abee

• Council Member
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2008, 09:16:40 AM »
What a great picture- did you take that?

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2008, 09:49:53 AM »
Tamale truck!!!???
One could argue that I moved to this neighborhood for tamales. Do tell where it is.
My fav's are under the 7 in that dark tunnel around 64th and Roosevelt, and around 89th st and Roosevelt, a lady and her husband. There are also three ladies competing at the 91st Subway stop. They are a bit pushy and the tamales are not that good.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »
Tamale truck!!!???
One could argue that I moved to this neighborhood for tamales. Do tell where it is.

The tamale truck I've been seeing has been at the SW corner of Roosevelt Ave. and 75th Street during the AM rush hour.  There's also usually a truckless tamale vendor at the SE corner of Roosevelt and 75th, in front of the former Mexican restaurant.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2008, 01:02:29 AM »
While driving by the Walgreen's on Northern Blvd. and 78th Street late Friday evening, I noticed one of those silver food vendor trucks parked near the entrance.  Anyone know what type of food he/she's selling?  There were a few customers on line.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2008, 12:37:43 AM »
The great Jim Leff marvels that his Obscure Street food in Eastern Jackson Heights map remains so popular (95,000 hits and counting) after it has long since fallen out of date.  (It's because nobody else has attacked this important topic with such dedication, and because the Internet is forever.  People will still be reading his street food map centuries from now, when humanity has long since departed Earth for greener planets.  Historians will be sifting through the archives of Chowhound and JH Life to make sense of our society.  Howdy up there!)

So let's look smart... Anybody interested in collaborating on an updated version?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:45:26 AM by toddg »

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2008, 01:41:52 PM »
you know im interested. it still changes very often. If only there was an open source was of doing it....

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2008, 08:54:14 PM »
I have long heard rumors of a roast suckling pig cart along Roosevelt in the 80's, but I have never found it.  Today, I found myself exploring further east than usual, and I found an amazing scene around the southeast corner of Warren Street and Roosevelt (Warren is between 95th Street and Junction Blvd.).  There were seven food trucks there, each serving Peruvian and Ecuadorian food, with lots of people crowded around.  Three of the trucks were serving roast pork.  For $10, I got a delicious plate of roast meat, with sides of steamed hominy, roasted hominy, mashed potatoes (or yams?), and yummy giant lima beans.  I think you can get a smaller platter without the sides for $8, but they're well worth it.  I'll definitely be back to explore more of their offerings.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2009, 12:30:24 PM »
Daniel Delaney of VendrTV goes on a Roosevelt Avenue food cart crawl with Serious Eats' Joe DiStefano.  It's an informative video that demystifies some of the popular food offerings we often come across while strolling along Roosevelt.  WARNING!  Do not watch while hungry....otherwise, you may find yourself running to Roosevelt!   ;)

Cart Crawl with Joe DiStefano (Jackson Heights, Queens)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2009, 01:09:43 AM »
Daniel Delaney of VendrTV goes on a Roosevelt Avenue food cart crawl with Serious Eats' Joe DiStefano.  It's an informative video that demystifies some of the popular food offerings we often come across while strolling along Roosevelt.  WARNING!  Do not watch while hungry....otherwise, you may find yourself running to Roosevelt!   ;)

Cart Crawl with Joe DiStefano (Jackson Heights, Queens)

I just watched it.  I am hungry!  I liked the piece.  It did just scratch the surface, as they mentioned in the video, but it hit upon a couple of things that look really interesting to try... like tamales from that tamale cart I pass all the time at 82nd and Roosevelt in front of the yogurt place.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2009, 06:09:30 PM »
Not in Jackson Heights, but worth a mention nonetheless.  Grub Street is reporting on June 21: The Day of 2,500 Food-Truck Freebies.  Just in time for dad's day.  So...if you happen to find yourself in any of the listed locations in Manhattan, make sure you get some tasty freebies!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2009, 10:28:02 PM »
Our Vendy Nomination: The Cart With the Pig’s Head

Grub Street wants to nominate one of the roast pork carts in Eastern Jackson Heights for a Vendy.  Don't be turned off by the picture... the food is delicious.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »
Time Out New York compiles a list of New York City's best mobile eats.

Jackson Heights' own El Gallo Giro makes the cut!   :rockon:

New York City’s best mobile eats

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »