Author Topic: JH Food Carts News & Discussion  (Read 31638 times)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: JH Food Carts News & Discussion
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
Our Vendy Nomination: The Cart With the Pig’s Head

Grub Street wants to nominate one of the roast pork carts in Eastern Jackson Heights for a Vendy.  Don't be turned off by the picture... the food is delicious.

This is my favorite food cart in the world! I always wondered why they never got attention. One time I got a plate full of pork and a blood sausage. my god.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2009, 07:31:25 AM »
my inner homer simpson just awakened  ;D

i really adore this cart....the cracklins make the plate for me.

oh and big love for the (comparatively) healthy non-meat options at heutzozingo (sp?) on 75/roosevelt. amazing array of quesadillas including huitlacoche and (this time of year) zucchini blossom.

Offline C11106

• Council Member
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2009, 02:21:39 PM »

oh and big love for the (comparatively) healthy non-meat options at heutzozingo (sp?) on 75/roosevelt. amazing array of quesadillas including huitlacoche and (this time of year) zucchini blossom.

What else does not have meat?  I know arepas do not, if you get them plain with butter or cheese.  Which carts have vegetarian versions of other foods?  Tacos?  Tamales?  Quesadillas, etc. etc?  I feel like most of the carts only list meat items, or I'm not sure what something is, so I don't order it because it may contain  meat...  The halal carts seem to be exclusively meat, correct?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »
the quesadillas are your best bet, really. i rhink tacos huejotzingo -- the cart closest to the corner of 75th directly in front of the subway -- makes the  greatest variety, including zucchini, mushroom, huitlacoche and plain old cheese, the cart in front of the chase diagonally across roosevelt sells chalupas. three for two bucks. basically a spicy sauce, no meat, lettuce and mexican cheese. they make for a good snack.

What else does not have meat?  I know arepas do not, if you get them plain with butter or cheese.  Which carts have vegetarian versions of other foods?  Tacos?  Tamales?  Quesadillas, etc. etc?  I feel like most of the carts only list meat items, or I'm not sure what something is, so I don't order it because it may contain  meat...  The halal carts seem to be exclusively meat, correct?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2009, 07:34:18 PM »
oh, and the tamale lady who is on roosevelt between 75/76 in the mornings makes a top notch meat free tamale....rajas sin carne (cheese and peppers....buck a pop)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 05:22:18 PM »
Here's an opportunity to nominate your favorite food vendor for the popular Vendy Awards.  This year's Awards will take place at The Queens Museum of Art on September 26th.

Time's running out, so nominate your favorite vendor.  No more nominations after tomorrow, August 1st.

The Fifth Annual Vendy Awards
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »
Mark Bittman posts a guest blogger's write-up of Sammy's Halal food truck.

From The New York Times:

An Appreciation of Sammy’s Halal

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
Sara looks for the best Gordita in Queens

I've got to get out of my El Gallo Giro taco groove and try some of these gorditas!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2010, 09:27:06 AM »

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »
El Guayaquileño seeks fame and fortune in the big city.  Hopefully they'll remember their fans back home in JH!

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2011, 12:33:17 PM »
JHL member, Jeffsayyes and his food tours are profiled in Gothamist!

Take A Midnight Tour Of Roosevelt Ave Street Eats

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »
I will be taking a group out this weekend, send me a message if you want to come for a JHL price. Also if you speak spanish or can take professional pictures at night, I'd like to bring you along and I will pay for everything.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »