Author Topic: JH Food Carts News & Discussion  (Read 31661 times)

Offline abee

• Council Member
Re: JH Food Carts News & Discussion
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 04:17:30 PM »
that cart use to be around La Guardia college when I went to the people I hate there portions its crappy.

huh?

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008, 12:02:37 PM »
Well, the teriyaki cart appears to have given up and departed for a less-competitive location.

But two of our street vendors were written up in the Daily News yesterday...

The Daily News
Get your fast food fix with these 7 great street eats
BY RACHEL WHARTON
Saturday, June 28th 2008, 4:00 AM

In New York, summer is the time to hit the streets - and we mean for the food. Thanks to stalls, stands, trucks and carts, our city is an international outdoor food court of roast pork tacos, Ecuadoran ceviches, sauerkraut-topped German wursts and jerk chicken. Need help with a plan of action? Start with this must-visit list.

1. Tacos Guichos: One of several taco trucks along Jackson Heights' main drag of street food, Guichos' tacos are always a steal (think roast pork or griddle-seared crispy chicken). Regulars also opt for their sopes, the thick little corncakes topped with Mexican sour cream and beans. But the strip is a street-smart foodie fave, thanks to the fact that you can take a seat in the mini-park nearby. Gleane St. and Roosevelt Ave., Queens, no phone

5. Mini-Picanteria el Guayaquileno: Don't let another July go by without trying the sweet shrimp in this massive mobile unit's Ecuadoran ceviche. Served up in a portable plastic tub and doused with a tomato-lime broth, it screams summer. Top it off with crushed plantains or toasted corn or a squeeze of vinegar, lemon juice and hot sauce. Tuesdays through Sundays at 80th St. and Roosevelt Ave., Queens, no phone.

(Follow link for complete article)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »
This is intriguing.  I don't watch or know much at all about the show Top Chef.  But this article mentions that in an earlier season, there was a "street vendor challenge."  And it speculates about Jackson Heights being a possible location for another such challenge in the upcoming season.  Could this possibly mean an army of "top chefs" setting up carts in our neighborhood to compete for who can serve up the best street food?  That would just about be the coolest thing imaginable.  Please, anybody in the TV biz: Keep your ears to the ground and let us know if something like this is in the works!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »
I didnt think that happy teriyaki was that great at all. seemed like dining hall chinese. the guy even had a nametag. hey, the cream rises to the top.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 04:18:44 PM »
So not in Jackson Heights, but I tried going to the Red Hook ballfields this past weekend to get a bite to eat.  All the vendors were lined up along the sidewalk and the lines were looonnggggg.  Since this was my first attempt there, I'm not sure if it's always that crowded.  My understanding is that in previous years, the vendors would actually set up shop on the fields rather than sidewalks.  I suppose that since the new DOH changes have been implemented, they have to stay off the grass?
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »
Love food carts or loathe them, you've got to be cold-hearted not to be tickled by this video.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »
yeah, lots of new regulations. in years past, they were stands, not trucks. each vendor had to spend a lot of money to get up to code. lines have been very long in the past.

i havent gone this year. i kind of dont want to change my memories of years past.

Offline abee

• Council Member
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
Love food carts or loathe them, you've got to be cold-hearted not to be tickled by this video.

that was so much better than the cheese "alka seltzer road trip" song...

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Via Serious Eats, Details magazine has published a list of 25 of the "nation's finest sidewalk eateries."  Kudos to our very own Sammy's Halal for making this elite list.

The Cult of Sammy is somewhat of a mystery to me, but he has somehow managed to become the NYC street cart that gives food reviewers street cred. 

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »
yeah, lots of new regulations. in years past, they were stands, not trucks. each vendor had to spend a lot of money to get up to code. lines have been very long in the past.

i havent gone this year. i kind of dont want to change my memories of years past.

You may be on to something here Jeff.  We, along with a couple of friends, decided to give Redhook another go yesterday and this time we anticipated a wait for the food.  We each tried a different pupusa platter from the popular pupusa vendor.  I had the pupusa stuffed with pork.  It was just O.K., and I've had much better in the past.  The pork was mushy and very salty.  The accompanying cabbage was fine.  I also ordered an agua de sandia (watermelon juice) from a different truck.  That was very nice and refreshing as was the aqua de tamarindo (tamarind seed)...although I have to admit that my mom's tamarindo is way better!  Next time I visit, I'll have to try the horchata and compare it to the Ecuadorian Quaker.  I'll also have to try a taco.  The tacos are huge and seem to be more popular than the pupusas.

Going to the ballfields reminds me so much of the days when I used to go to Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.  They had a similar scene going on with food vendors on the weekends serving up traditional street food mostly to soccer players and the spectators.  The only difference here is that back then, the food stands were only frequented by those either playing or watching the games.  Lots of fun and great food at a great price! 
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 09:45:44 PM »
I feel like a run down roosevelt ave is just as good. I had great cemitas on friday night from some truck with a kiss on it. love those ladies.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2008, 01:38:30 AM »
Somebody on Chowhound is reporting that the Tacos Guichos stand (usually stationed at 83rd Street and Roosevelt) is opening a storefront at 90th and 37th.  I frequent the taco stands near the 74th Street Station, so I don't know this one, but it's good to see a little business grow strong enough that they can afford a storefront location.

Offline Breezie

• Council Member
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2008, 05:29:15 AM »
A stand on 90th and 37th? Where would they fit it in?  I live on 35th between 90-91.  I have to ceheck this one out!!

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Council Member
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »
The Cult of Sammy is somewhat of a mystery to me, but he has somehow managed to become the NYC street cart that gives food reviewers street cred.

Really, toddg?  Sammy's Halal is a huge weakness for me.  I grab dinner there at least a couple of times every week.  Soooooo delicious... :smitten:

For me, the arepa lady is the one I don't understand.  What's the big deal?  She's cute, but it's just fried starch.  Maybe I just don't like arepas.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  I like Sammy's Halal and continue to eat there.  I just don't see a big difference between what he offers and what similar carts in Manhattan offer (e.g. Raffiqi's etc.).

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »