Author Topic: Park(ing) Day is coming to Jackson Heights  (Read 2612 times)

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
Park(ing) Day is coming to Jackson Heights
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »

I thought I'd let you know that I will be hosting a Park(ing) Day spot on 37th Ave and 78th St, in front of the Aqua Clara Laundrymat    for Park(ing) Day on Friday September 18th.
Here is a link to Park(ing) Day, which is a national event being organized here in New York by Transportation Alternatives.

http://parkingdaynyc.org/about  Be sure to watch the video, to see how fun it is.

In a nutshell, we will take over a parking space to highlight the fact that many public spaces go to parking, when they could be used for parks. Ours, will have games for kids, music, a free photobooth, and hopefully shade and turf.

I welcome any volunteers to man the spot, (shifts between 10am and 6pm) as well as any donations of tall plants, tarp or tenting (for shade), turf, indoor/outdoor carpet- for ground cover, or anything else you might think would make the spot more fun. Thanks already, to Len and his various groups for offering help/donations for the event.

On Sept. 18th there will be over 60 spots across the boroughs, and I'm so pleased to be hosting one in our community. I will alert local media for a piece about the dire need for public space in our area.

Feel free to simply stop by, rest and relax, and visit with your neighbors, as well as chat up whoever will listen about the need for parks in our community. I am acting on behalf of the Queens Committee of Transportation Alternatives.
Thanks,
Cristina Furlong
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:17:30 PM by toddg »

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
Re: Park(ing) Day is coming to Jackson Heights
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:33:14 AM »
Update- we will be having live Tango Music from 5 to 6PM, thanks to the awesome group, Mimihame.
Also, throughout the day, we'll have places to sit, and kid activities, as well as after school bubble blowing...

I'm naming the spot, Stone Soup Park, after the fable where each person brings an ingredient, and all enjoy a nice soup...
If you have something to bring, whether a talent, activity, plant, or shade, please let me know. Thanks!

Offline Queenskid

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:52:16 AM »
I'm sorry, but you want there to be fewer parking spots available in our community?  One of the biggest quality of life problems I face in Jackson Heights is the lack of available parking spots.  How will this help?

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »
I want more parks and recreation spots, and see many places for land to be reclaimed by fixing up existing parks and open spaces (more park benches on the streets, little green squares, without the encumbrances to sitting)

It just so happens that this national event uses parking spaces. The NYPD actually grants permits for this one day event.

Offline jadasie

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 09:29:32 AM »
"It just so happens that this national event uses parking spaces. The NYPD actually grants permits for this one day event."

Sounds like a city initiative to rally public support against more parks and recreation spots. I'd love to see some more public space in Jackson Heights, though I think you'd have to demolish some buildings to get it. Has there been any serious proposals for more space, or just plans for symbolic demonstrations?

Offline civita

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »
Park (ing) Day is not a NYC initiative. It originated in San Francisco in 2005 and is now a global event.

http://www.parkingday.org/

Offline jadasie

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
I stand corrected: Park(ing) Day is something of a multi-city art installation. According to the website, the event is the brainchild of REBAR, an "interdisciplinary studio based in San Francisco."

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 08:21:47 PM »
Thanks to all who came out and enjoyed Stone Soup Park! It was a big success with those from 5 months to 94 years old enjoying a nice seat in a grassy place close to home. We will definitely be doing it again next year.

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »
My littles ones found the park really interesting, especially the grass.  And so they decided to rest on the grass as I sat on the bench and watched the world go by.  I met a new senior friend on the bench who told me he misses his wife so very much.  I also met another new friend and her son who was doing some art work.  How wonderful to sit on a bench in the middle of the street in Jackson Heights.   :smiley6600:

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »
Even though I didn’t attend, I found the topic engaging enough that I wrote an article about Park(ing) Day here in Jackson Heights.
Elyaqim Mosheh Adam (a.k.a. “Mark”)
Seventy-second Street
Blogger | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »