Author Topic: 7 Train Line Construction  (Read 2719 times)

Offline DijoninJH

• Resident
7 Train Line Construction
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »
Just in case anybody didn't see this in today's newspapers, there is major 7 line disruptions for the next 7 weeks including 5 weekends with no service in either direction from 61st St-Woodside to Main St-Flushing.

http://www.amny.com/news/local/am-seven0109,0,1834851.story?coll=amny_home_rail_headlines

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: 7 Train Line Construction
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:23:35 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I hadn't really been aware of this, though I did notice an abundance of Chinese-only signs posted on the windows of the 7 trains, presumably explaining a service interruption.

I signed up for the weekend service advisories emails at mta.info . It's a good idea if you want a reminder of what lines will have interrupted service.  Here's today's for the coming weekend (I selected to only be notified about the E, F and 7).  You can sign up at http://advisory.mtanyct.info/index.html

No 7 trains between Main St and Woodside-61 St
Jan 12 –14, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon

1. Free Long Island Rail Road trains provide service between 34 St-Penn Station,        Woodside-61 St and Main St/Flushing. (Starts Saturday from Main St at 5:45am and from Penn station at 7am)
   2. Free shuttle buses provide alternate service between Main St and Woodside-61 St.
   3. Manhattan-bound 7 trains skip 52, 46, 40, and 33 Sts. 

Please note that on Friday nights the last normal service 7 trains leave Main St at 11:40pm and Times Square at 11:20 pm.  After this time 7 trains leaving Times Square will run to Woodside-61 St; Main St customers will continue their trip on a shuttle bus.

For more information click on the mta.info link in this e-mail, pick up a multi-language brochure, and read station posters.

E
No service changes scheduled.

F

Queens-bound F trains run on the V line from 47-50 St to Roosevelt Av
Jan 12 – Feb 4, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon

Coney Island-bound F trains skip 4 Av, 15 St-Prospect Park, and Ft Hamilton Pkwy
Jan 11 – 14, 11 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »
I've been reading more about this project, and it looks like very good news for Jackson Heights.

One component of this project is the construction of new switches that allow trains to move between the local and express tracks before and after Jackson Heights.  Currently, when one of the local tracks is closed due to a stalled train or routine maintenance, trains run express between Woodside and Junction Blvd.  This means if you want to use the 74th Street or 82nd Street stations, you often need to get on trains traveling in the opposite direction, and transfer at an express stop to a train going the way to want to go.  Or, returning home, you need to bypass your Jackson Heights station and then backtrack to it from the other direction.

If I'm reading MTA's website right, when this project is complete, trains using the express track will be able to switch to the local track to serve the 74th Street Station, where large numbers of people want to transfer to other subway lines or buses (and, of course, where many of us just want to get on or off!).  It's very unlikely that this means express trains will begin stopping at 74th Street during regular service, but it does mean that trains running on the express track due to many types of service interruptions will be able to stop at 74th Street.  This would certainly be a big improvement!

Offline lex

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:12:39 PM »
There is a mention in the NYT this weekend about the MTA considering new electronic displays with arrival times for the next trains in stations as they have installed for the L train.  We'll see if this actually takes place and if so, if they are helpful.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »
Looks like the construction is running ahead of schedule!  We'll have weekend service in early February.
http://www.queenscourier.com/articles/2008/01/30/news/top_stories/news21.txt

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
From the email I got from the MTA about service advisories for this weekend (Feb 2-3)

No service changes scheduled.

E
Queens-bound E trains run on the V line from West 4 St to 5 Av
Feb 2 – 3, 7 AM to 7 PM Sat and Sun

F
Queens-bound F trains run on the V line from 47-50 Sts to Roosevelt Av
Feb 2 – 4, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon               
Coney Island-bound F trains skip 4 Av, 15 St-Prospect Park, and Ft Hamilton Pkwy
Feb 1 – 4, 11 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon

Offline lex

• Resident
7 Train to resume Express Service on Tuesday 19th
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 04:27:38 PM »
Just in cast anyone missed it:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/subsrvn7.htm

Jackson Heights Life

7 Train to resume Express Service on Tuesday 19th
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 04:27:38 PM »