Author Topic: 73rd St between 37 Av and Roosevelt Ave  (Read 5060 times)

Offline pabilas

• Tourist
73rd St between 37 Av and Roosevelt Ave
« on: June 27, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »
So crowded, so noised and so many food vendors on the st. Any idea of how to reduce all those problems and improve our quality of life?
U can not even drive on that bolck, people stop theirs cars anywhere they want, never see a police on this block
Homeless and drunk people on the corner.....Lets do sometime about
anyone for it. We have to call the Police, write MTA or call 311

Offline JHNYlvr

• Tourist
Re: 73rd St between 37 Av and Roosevelt Ave
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:27:19 PM »
  The police really can't do anything about it.  There just aren't to many of them anymore.  If they tryto do something, they risk starting a riot, offending the community, the politicians and the media, and they put their careers in jeopardy.  Sad, but that is the way things are nowdays.

Offline pabilas

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »
http://www.streetsblog.org/2007/08/03/saturday-evening-in-jackson-heights-queens-feel-the-pain/
look up this viedo
life hasn't changed  around it, it is getting worse
Someone needs to do something about it

Offline liam0925

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:35:37 PM »
Agreed!  73rd Street needs help!  Very crowded both on the sidewalk and in the street.  Very noisy.  Some of this is addressed in the link below.

http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=2907.0

Offline pabilas

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 02:44:19 PM »
These food sold on our street doesn't look  so safe for people to eat. We need the health depatment around this area and see how they handle the food.
Where do they get clean water to wash their hands?
how do they handle food after touching money
It is 10 dollars or less for food portion, some even 4 5 dollars
Just remember that will makeu happy, or it will get u sick

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »
the traffic is awful...cops don't care about enforcing those laws. if they did, we'd be raking in half a million bucks a day -- no exaggeration -- for those totally meaningless 350 dollar fine for honking signs. i called helen sears' office a few years ago to ask that the signs be taken down since they add clutter to the streets for no reason. maybe we should just remove em ourselves.

but as far as the vendors? some of the best food in the city. they're inspected regularly. they are admired around the world for their offerings.

i've eaten at street vendors for 40 or so of my 43 years on the planet. never gotten ill.

had food poisoning from "sanitary" restaurants twice. hepatitis a from a "sanitary" restaurant once. yet oddly i still eat in restaurants from time to time.

have you ever eaten at mcdonald's or subway or burger king or eaten a bagel? all meals under ten dollars -- so they will clearly all sicken you.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 06:31:13 PM »
That is a Great Idea - dssjh! take down the signs ourselves - they are useless, right?? They should have the meter maids give them tickets. they should be doing something positive for the community other than handing out an idiot tax.

some vendors probably are unsanitary, but some restaurants are as well. I've only gotten sick 2x in my life from food. Once was at sizzler in Florida. The other was from cafeteria food at binghamton U. Then again, people do say I have the iron stomach....

I do not know what is meant by the 10 dollar remark... You can get plenty of wholesome meals for less than 10 dollars in the neighborhood. McD is expensive! it's a little further, but I went to an awesome brazillian place last night. I spent 6 dollars and had the most rounded meal I've had in months. it was point brazil.
many of the latino restaurants have full lunches for around 7 dollars.  many all kinds of restaurants do. what am I arguing about?

Offline pabilas

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »
Do you guys know the street that I'm talking about?
I never get to see  anyone giving a ticket to any of those drivers around here
U can wait sometines 10 to 15 minutes to drive the street from 37 to Broadway. It is crazy

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 11:17:15 AM »
yes, remember not to drive down it. Lately I have been driving down the first street West of the BQE. no traffic. plan ahead.

Offline dr.ak

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 01:07:57 AM »
Driving?

Most of the people that live near 73st don't even dream of owning a car unless they live far away.

I live near 73 st and I HATE the cars honking past midnight. Hate the numerous garbage trucks that love waking you up with their constant motor noise.  I believe 10 years ago they put a NO HONKING SIGN or else you will be fined.  Has anyone ever seen anyone get a ticket?  Is there a way we can get a cop, to issue tickets around midnight to the garbage truck drivers noise polluting or the cars honking away?  Can we make videos from our windows and zoom up on the car license places and show it to the cops or proper authorities? Or should we video capture all the litter, noise, illegal vending, or parking of inconsiderate people and place it on youtube.  Its funny how last Saturday, near NYU, I filled out a survey about noise pollution being conducted by Columbia.  I should have told them to study US! They think the train noise is affecting new yorkers' hearing.  What about a place called J.Heights?  We should be studied.  I do believe my doctor told me at the age of 25, I have a slight hearing problem.  Can it be from all the honking I hear? Should I call 1800 Lawyers and tell them that I have called 115pct so many times but not to this date any ticket for honking has been given?   I sometimes hear ringing in my ears. Who is responsible for my slight hearing loss?  I sure do not own an ipod or listen to loud music.

I know Helen Sears' office is just a few blocks away, has she ever taken any action regarding this? 

I didn't think this problem could get worse.  I feel like 73st will become a 3rd world country, if no regulations are passed for all the illegal stuff that goes on. This is the USA.  Our voices should be heard.  What is wrong is wrong and actions should be taken.  That is why we have a legislative branch, an executive branch and a judiciary branch.  I feel like over the past ten years, no one has listen to anyone complaints.  It took a few years to even get the No Honking sign up!  I was born in Jackson Heights.  Is very very sad to see this part of the neighborhood turn so ugly and unregulated.  Its amazing to see other neighborhoods in the city from nothing become something, e.g. Meat Packing District.

Its summer time, many young people can volunteer if we propose an action.  I remember when I went to high school, didn't they have a way for young kids to help NYPD?  It would be even nice to see the youth help in this matter.

I cant think of any more ideas, if there is a way I can help, let me know. 

Ha ha, i hear another garbage truck screaming away, right now. (12:55am)

Anyone, we need to do something. 

I love how the Jackson Heights Beatification Group put trees and plants up.  I feel sad, how I went online a year ago (and this year) to request 2 trees to be planted on 72st.  Nothing has been done yet.  I feel so neglected and abandoned living near 73 st. 

And now I hear another garbage truck backing up. (1:05am)

There should be a documentary done here!

Should we call NY1 to do a story on this neighborhood?  Let me know. This I think I can do. I just hope they listen to me when I do call.

Offline koku

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 04:16:17 PM »
This is what I have been telling in this board and I am glad finally residents around 73rd st. speak up.
73rd street DO need serious help.  We have a serious noise, and pollution problem.  Almost every night, there are huge group of South Asian hanging around and leave so much litter every night.  And it creates traffic congestions.  73rd street looks very chaos and give the impression that city or police don't care about it, which will attract crimes..  yes, report by NY1 would be a great help.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »
koku, i have never doubted that 73rd street has issues:

people double park like morons, honk like circus clowns and urinate randomly on the street with no worry about punishment. it's awful

i have only argued with you about the source of the filth in the area. i plan to spend an afternoon REALLY going up and down the street to get a list. my glance this morning said the bulk of the litter was phone cards, arizona iced tea, wise chips and two used diapers (ick), will get back later this week with a real survey

Offline koku

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »
Thank you dssjh,

I would suggest to go there after 9PM and next morning like 7AM.  Then, you will see about the source of filth. 
My opinion come from my experience of  walking down the road everyday for 5 years and have witnessed who is responsible for the mess.  If you talk to the super of the coop on the street, they will tell you exactly the same things.  Yet, some people don't want to believe this. 

But I really appreciate you taking action.  I will start taking more photos of 73rd since I walk everyday. :)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 07:11:39 PM »
the city should buy trash from people, if so, the homeless population would go down and the streets would be immaculate. :laugh:

Offline amadan

• Tourist
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 09:57:46 PM »
Last Saturday early afternoon one of the drunk guys around the corner from the subway station, on 73rd Street, threw an empty vodka bottle in front of our baby's stroller. While it wasn't near enough to hit the baby, clearly he was unaware (and probably didn't care) that 2 seconds later we would have been in the line of fire. Yikes.

Late one night my husband was walking by a food cart on 73rd Street and the vendor was picking at his feet while sitting on a crate by the wall. Ugh.

Does anyone know when the scaffold between 37th and Roosevelt is coming down? For some reason it seems to make things so much worse.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 09:57:46 PM »