Author Topic: Do you tip Best Buy's Geek Squad?  (Read 7558 times)

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Do you tip Best Buy's Geek Squad?
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:00:59 AM »
My husband and I recently found ourselves overwhelmed tackling electronics cables whereby we decided to call Best Buy's Geek Squad.  The 2 guys they sent over were great and pretty much resolved our problem.  Before leaving our place though, there was kind of an awkward moment when the guys just stood around as if waiting for something.  I eventually said thank you, and they went on their way.  Was I supposed to tip these guys?  We paid $100 to Best Buy for the visit.

Has anyone ever used these services, and have you tipped the servicemen?
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline foobah

• Resident
Re: Do you tip Best Buy's Geek Squad?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »
As a computer professional, I've never needed to use a service like GeekSquad, but I did a little research and it seems they only earn about $10-$15 per hour, so I'm not surprised that they were hoping for a tip.

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 04:00:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.  We're entitled to one included troubleshoot visit, so I'll keep that in mind if we need to call them back.  Our problem was video/audio related.

Offline NYCMacUser

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:21:26 PM »
Thanks for the info.  We're entitled to one included troubleshoot visit, so I'll keep that in mind if we need to call them back.  Our problem was video/audio related.
I wonder what the odds are that you will get the same people?

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:19:49 PM »
I wonder what the odds are that you will get the same people?

The guys gave me their names and told me that if I do call for a troubleshoot visit, I should request them.  Maybe now that they didn't get a tip from me the first time, I wonder if they'll want to come back at all.   :embarassed:

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 05:14:36 PM »
When I had trouble with my last lap top, I used the "tech guys" at Staples.  The guy who came over was terrific. I didn't tip him.  I also didn't feel like he was expecting a tip.  I'm trying to remember how much I paid for the visit because it was awhile ago but I think it was $100.
First, do no harm.

Offline Avela

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 08:45:18 PM »
Here is the unwritten rule...always tip...tipping is not a city in china

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 01:51:54 PM »
Here is the unwritten rule...always tip...tipping is not a city in china

I usually do tip for most things.  I'm a tipper, baby!  (said like George to Jerry Seinfeld)  I don't know why I didn't in this instance.  I guess I thought the guy was making a large part of the fee.  Silly me!
First, do no harm.