Author Topic: Two JH adoption stories  (Read 2260 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
Two JH adoption stories
« on: December 27, 2007, 09:38:36 PM »
I've been following two stories about children being adopted from abroad to live in our community.  They are interesting and touching, so I thought I'd share them with this board.

KC's Adoption Journey

Hoping in Hanoi: Queens couple’s adoption stalled in Vietnam

I don't know either of the families involved.  If anybody out there knows them, please let them know that there is a very active support network of families with young children in this neighborhood that they can tap into as soon as they need anything.

Offline KC

• Activist
Re: Two JH adoption stories
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »
Well how funny is this!  I just joined this forum today.  Since I just became an adoptive mom, I immediately checked out this thread to find out about other adoptive families in the neighborhood.

And I found a link to my very own blog!!!!!

Oh my!   :)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »
Today I had the pleasure of meeting KC and her beautiful little girl Liana in one of our neighborhood's local establishments.  Our meeting was by pure chance, and just goes to show how wonderful the internet can be.   I immediately recognized KC and Liana from their blog...the one that Todd posted above.  Of course, I was so excited about our chance meeting that I had to post about it here.

KC, consider me another member of the Jackson Heights readership!  :)

The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline KC

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 02:21:55 PM »
Ha ha!  Sure is funny to be recognized from my blog!  Guess I'm gonna have to be careful what I say there.  :)

It was great meeting you today Chuckster! 

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
Good news, as the other JH international adoption saga reaches a happy conclusion! 

Queens Courier
Home At Last: Couple’s Lunar New Year wish comes true
BY NOAH ROSENBERG
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:21 PM EST

David and Chanin French were “in the trenches,” Chanin said. The Jackson Heights couple had been in Hanoi, Vietnam since October battling the State Department over a maddeningly minute technicality in the adoption of their son Oliver, now eight-months-old.

With legal fees mounting, Chanin’s maternity leave extension dwindling away, and David’s idleness as a freelance jazz writer in Hanoi no doubt taking its toll on the couple, the Frenches began planning for a life in Vietnam.

“You’re halfway around the world, cut off from your family, your friends, your work, your pets, your house, from everything that you love, from everything that gives you strength and sustenance,” David said of the couple’s frustrating and devastating situation that left them living week to week.

Oliver’s grandparents on both coasts of the U.S. were soliciting help from elected officials and amassing a collection of photographs of an adorable baby boy. Oliver was, “packing on the pounds, getting taller, sitting up by himself, standing if you help him balance,” David said.

The Frenches were told that if their rebuttal to the State Department proved fruitless, they would have to wait two years for another type of visa that would allow them to bring Oliver home and initiate his citizenship procedure on American soil.

(Follow link for complete article)

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »