Author Topic: Swine flu outbreak "serious"  (Read 4981 times)

Offline hunnybear

• Activist
Re: Swine flu outbreak "serious"
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
I've been trained in Infection control and trained by hospital personnel and its the simple washing of hands that prevents alot Of illnesses. One particular is MRSA which is rampant in the best of NYC hospitals. You'd be very surprised how many drs/nurses Do NOT wash between or before  seeing a patient. Also  When you go out for lunch you hand over money, get change and sit down to eat-Do you wash your hands?? Imagine how many people handled that dollar? It becomes second nature after a while you just have to get use to doing it. People PLEASE if you don't do anything else Just WASH YOUR HANDS and lay off your face/eyes/nose etc.

Offline liam0925

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 11:38:42 PM »
The Swine Flu crisis forcefully points out the need for more--not less--hospital space in Queens.  I heard from a reliable source that yesterday there was almost an 8 hour wait in Elmhurst's ER!!!  That's scary!  Meanwhile there are requests for bids on the St John and Mary Immaculate sites.  Sealed bids for both are due on June 15th. We really do not need more mall space! The City ought to buy both sites and try to get Federal funds to reopen them as urgent care and perhaps assisted living or senior housing.  The State dropped the ball on this and we should not forget that.

Offline hunnybear

• Activist
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 07:00:27 AM »
Elmhurst has always had 8 hr waits that is nothing new. I have many  Personal horror stories about them.  I'd rather die in the streets then be taken there to die. I go to manhattan even for urgent care-I'll call a taxi not a ambulance.

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »
The baby that died in the Elmhurst hospital did not have H1N1, according to the recent test results. And so far, only one public school in the city (Hollis) is closed with actual H1N1 cases (where the Asst. principal sadly died, becoming NY's ONLY death from the virus so far). All the rest are closed as a precaution, or because attendance is so low that they've been closed for a few days.

Just wash your hands, and don't worry about it too much. Hysteria isn't helping. And flooding emergency rooms with false fears of flu doesn't help.
- MW

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »
I think the media, particularly the print media is playing a major role in promoting the fear factor.  People have to be savvy enough to read between the sensationalized headlines and just adhere to good sanitary practices like hand washing, staying home when you're sick and covering coughs and sneezes.  Aren't we all supposed to do this on a regular basis anyway?

Some of the headlines on the local dailies are quick to point out that more schools have closed, yet unless you read an article in its entirety, you won't find out that this is being done as a precautionary measure.  Fear seems to be up, while actual confirmed cases of H1N1 remain low.  I think NY1 put it that way.  Good for them.

The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline michaelb

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »
``I tell people that if it's in the news, don't worry about it. The very definition of "news" is "something that hardly ever happens." It's when something isn't in the news, when it's so common that it's no longer news -- car crashes, domestic violence -- that you should start worrying.''

http://www.schneier.com/essay-171.html

Offline liam0925

• Council Member
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 11:42:41 PM »
Elmhurst has always had 8 hr waits that is nothing new. I have many  Personal horror stories about them.  I'd rather die in the streets then be taken there to die. I go to manhattan even for urgent care-I'll call a taxi not a ambulance.

I went to the emergency room by taxi last September and had only a short wait before beings seen and treated.  I had excellent care.  Again, Hunnybear, our view of the world differs. 

Offline vladicravich

• Tourist
Swine Flu Speads to Politics
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »
Hey all, if you're interested in some of the political back and forth on this, check out the Queens Tribune feature on the topic in this week's paper. I put it on our blog for all you internet people too.

http://queenstribune.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/swine-flu-spreads-to-politics/

Vladic

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »
H1N1 had been initially suspected in the death of young Jonathan Zamorra Castillo, but testing later revealed that an unrelated fever was to blame.  The The New York Times has the sad follow-up on the young couple that their son.

Out of the News Glare, Immigrants Wrestle With the Loss of a Son to Fever
The Chuckster has spoken!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »