Author Topic: Jolibee on Roosevelt Ave  (Read 5750 times)

Offline racert

• Citizen
Jolibee on Roosevelt Ave
« on: February 24, 2009, 10:44:16 AM »
Does anyone know what the deal is with this place?
Whenever I walk past there is a line to get in stretching around the corner.  (And a velvet rope!)  It is on Roosevelt in the high 60's.  From the best I can tell it is a Filipino fast food place but it smells like KFC to me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:52:24 AM by racert »

Offline racert

• Citizen
Re: Jolibee on Roosevelt Ave
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:54:51 AM »

Offline michaelb

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »
I saw this the other day and looked it up in Wikipedia:

Jollibee Foods Corporation (PSE: JFC) widely known as Jollibee is a fast-food restaurant chain based in the Philippines. It is an American-style fast-food restaurant with Filipino-influenced dishes specializing in burgers, spaghetti, chicken and some local Filipino dishes. Currently the biggest fast-food chain in the country, it also has locations in the United States, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Dubai and Brunei. Jollibee is also the name of their mascot, a large bee in a blazer, shirt and chef's hat.

As of December 2007, Jollibee has become one of the biggest fast-food chains in the world with 1,655 stores worldwide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jollibee

It's so awesome that we live in a time where you can run one of the world's largest fast-food mega-corporations that nobody in the United States has ever head of.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
There's some more background about this in the Filipino Restaurants thread.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 11:28:49 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of fast food, but I must admit that this place with its grand opening lines had me intrigued enough to check it out.  Inside, Jolibee is similar to most fast food places except that the tables and chairs are not bolted to the floor.  In my opinion, the tables are set much too close to each other making it a bit tight to maneuver yourself inside and out.  O.K., so this is fast food, so I didn't go in anticipating much.  However, I did expect something a bit different, but was disappointed.  I tried the fried chicken and also the spaghetti.  The chicken was not any different from the old standard Roy Rogers fried chicken.  It was O.K.  The spaghetti is prepared with a sweet, ketchupy tomato sauce and chopped hot dogs.  Maybe this is something kids would like?  Both dishes were served with white rice and gravy.

Keep this place in mind when in the mood for fast food fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn.  Not sure if there's a KFC on Roosevelt, so Jolibee is an option.  My overall rating:  C-
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 09:22:03 AM »
Jollibee ("the McDonald's of the Philippines") is expanding to Manhattan.  http://gothamist.com/2016/06/22/the_mcdonalds_of_the_philippines_is.php

Offline opalis141

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 12:07:09 PM »
If you are a fan, Anthony Bourdain has a pretty funny segment on Jolibee. Apparently it is the only fast food chain he will eat and whenever he is in the Philippines he makes a point of going there.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
Food & Wine thinks Jollibee Is The Fast Food Chain America Needs Right Now.

I've been to the Jollibee in Woodside, primarily for the fried chicken.  I really don't get the hype, but then maybe I need to order the Pancit Palabok, described in the article as follows:

Do you enjoy generous amounts of garlic in your food? You'll love this dish. In its purest form, pancit palabok has been referred to by at least one food writer as the Pinoy equivalent of pad Thai—it's a rice noodle dish doused in garlic sauce and piled high with sautéed pork, shrimp, pork cracklings, sliced, hard-boiled egg and a whisper of parsley. This is definitely a fast-food rendition of the classic, but absolutely don't let that stop you from tucking in.

Anyone love this place as much as Food & Wine?  It seems to have a nice following for a fast food joint.

Offline llh

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
Jolibee is definitely better than KFC and other US chains (although probably just as unhealthy). They do have filipino-specific items, which are awesome for neighborhoods like Woodside.

Offline Babycakesmama

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
The 2nd most amazing fried chicken (first is Korean fried chicken, try UFC on Roosevelt) and Filipino Spaghetti! Fillipino spaghetti is slightly sweeter and I swear, it's seriously addictive! And try Halo Halo for dessert which is a shaved ice drink (their version of a milk shake) which is so delicious!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
i like the chicken - though not as much as Krispy Krunchy - and LOVE the halo halo. the spaghetti must be an acquired taste, though. i have friends who enjoy it, but it's so sweet that it kinda tastes like a mistake -a handful of sugar in the pasta water instead of salt.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 05:46:11 AM »
I had it when it first opened and didn't like it much. THEN I went back like 3 months ago and now I can't get enough. It's sooo good. The chicken is real fatty. Haven't had the spaghetti yet.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »
I had it when it first opened and didn't like it much. THEN I went back like 3 months ago and now I can't get enough. It's sooo good. The chicken is real fatty. Haven't had the spaghetti yet.

As others say, this place is BELOVED by Filipinos. Not just for the food, for being a deep-fried chunk of home.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 10:40:03 PM »
I can’t lie. I’m intrigued. Having passed it countless times, it has piqued my curiosity. But I’ve always just dismissed it as another grossly unhealthy fast food joint. Maybe I ought to give it a shot...

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 08:45:33 AM »
oh, it is grossly unhealthy. but the chicken is pretty darn tasty, like a lot of grossly unhealthy fast foods. :)

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 08:45:33 AM »