Author Topic: Latino Diners  (Read 4020 times)

Offline artsub

• Resident
Latino Diners
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:20:39 PM »
What's so great about Seba Seba?

i had read good things about this place, and finally made it there for lunch. because my spanish is minimal i made out that i would be getting chicken soup and then some other dish with spaghetti. it turned out to be chicken soup that had spaghetti AND potatoes in it. then i got a big plate of spaghetti that also had chicken in it AND a big serving of rice, and a piece of plaintain, and a little bit of salad. sure it was a lot of food for $6.50, but  i don't eat that much starch in 6 weeks. the soup was tasty but greasy. service was minimal. i said i'd just drink water but she never brought my water.

any recommendations for good, cheap latin restaurants?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:39:49 PM by toddg »

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
Re: Latino Diners
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 03:07:09 PM »
It is not unusual for a typical south american meal to be high in carbs.  Many traditional dishes such as sancochos will contain a variety of high carb veggies and will be served along with a plate of white rice and plantains.  Some pasta dishes may also be accompanied by rice.  If high carbs are not your thing, you would be better off ordering off the menu and asking for specific menu items, such as a soup accompanied by perhaps a salad, hold the rice.  You can also order certain grilled meats/poultry/fish the same way.  Most restaurants are very accommodating, and there is usually staff on hand that speaks English well enough if your spanish is not up to par.

I would say that Seba Seba is the equivalent of your typical hispanic diner.  Food and service are O.K., and the price reflects that.  For a step above and still inexpensive, try La Nueva Cafe on 37th and 86th Street.  Their bakery, located up the street, offers great baked meat, chicken, cheese and spinach empanadas for only $1.50.  They're quite delicious!  They offer good food at a decent price, and the service is friendly.  Some wine is available, and they will be more than happy to provide you with a glass of water! 
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »
They serve a very good cubano sandwich. 

Offline kate

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »
I think the breakfasts at there are pretty good.

Offline cybgrand

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 07:20:47 PM »
I prefer Cositas Ricas on Roosavelt and 80th or 81st. Their soups are delicious and the other dishes I have had there are really good too.
They also have great fresh fruit juices. Once I ate there I never went back to Seba Seba.

carlos13

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 08:24:20 PM »
cositas ricas also has very atractive waitresses

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »
I spotted a Latin Cabana located in the lower level food court of the Queens Center Mall yesterday.  These are the same folks with locations on Austin Street in Forest Hills and Steinway Street in Astoria.

I tried a Cuban sandwich.  A bit on the weak side in terms of roast pork quantity, but a good garlicky flavor anyway.  Not bad for a shopping mall food court experience, and a nice alternative to the usual McDonald's or Taco Bell.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »