Author Topic: Jury duty in NYC  (Read 32694 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Jury duty in NYC
« on: February 13, 2009, 01:35:49 PM »
Just got calld for jury duty for the first time here in NY.  I've done it in one other state but it was a "one day one trial state" and I know that's not the way things work here.

My letter gives me a date to "start calling."

What have your experiences been with jury duty here - how many days have you had to go in and wait, etc?

Thanks.

Offline Queenskid

• Council Member
Re: Jury duty in NYC
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:18:49 PM »
It's never fun, but it is better than it used to be.  I think they can hold you for three days, but I never stayed for longer than one.  Sometimes it depends on which of the three courthouses you get called to.  The last time I served, I was called to Kew Gardens.  They had computers with internet access, so if you are called there you can keep an eye on JH Life.

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:56:25 PM »
I did jury duty at Kew Gardens last year as well.  I brought my laptop and worked until 10 AM on their wifi, and then got called in to a courtroom.  I was there for about two hours in the morning, and then one hour after lunch break, for voir dire (where the prosecution and defense question prospective jurors in the box).  After they decided they didn't want me, I got a form and went home.  Really not bad at all, and an interesting experience.

It didn't really seem that many people were there for multiple days unless they were on a case, but I'm not sure about that.

The voir dire I went through was for a molestation case.  Most of the jurors were not picked because they were some form of police or had close family members that were police, or basically said they have young daughters and wouldn't be able to judge the defendant fairly.  In general, it was amazing just how many people in Queens are city employees!

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:47:49 PM »
You basically call after 5pm each day to see if your number is called in. If you have a low number (under 5000) you will definitely be called sometime during the week.

Basically you report to one of 4 court houses (Jamaica has 2, Kew Gardens has one and Long Island City) to wait to be called for a panel. The lawyers ask questions and select or excuse people - just like other states. If you are not selected for a panel by the end of the day, you are typically excused and released. Then jury duty is over. There are cases when you get to come back again for a second day.

The one thing that is important to remember. If you are on a panel and still being considered for inclusion on the jury you might need to return for a second day just to be questioned and considered. In that case, if you feel that you might not be right for the jury, try to speak to the lawyers before they call the day over. This way you can be sent back down and then released at the end of the day.

It is pretty interesting sometimes.

Good luck.

P.S. Follow the restrictions on what you can bring to court. Usually not radios, tvs etc, They are strict about that.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »
ok, now I see on the card that I have been summoned as a "telephone standby juror" and to begin calling after 5pm on the day indicated.

Is everyone who is summoned considered to be a telephone standby juror?  I understand that the idea is to get a pool of people from which to select a jury, but the term "telephone standby juror" implies (to me anyway) that there are others who might be summoned and told just to appear.

The anticipation is killing me!

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
Yes, in NYC everyone is on telephone standby. That means probably only one day of Jury duty - see my previous note.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »
Thanks for the info.

judibean

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »
I was going to say hope you got a higher number but someone already beat me to it.  Instead of calling, you're better off checking your number online at http://www.nyjuror.gov/countyinformation/?queens#dailymessage   
Otherwise, you'll need to jot down the range of numbers read to you over the phone and I know I always get a little dyslexic with long numbers.

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »
They can hold you longer for three days if you get picked for a case.

I always seem to be .. the lawyers must know that teachers get paid full pay for jury duty, hence they expect we as a group are more apt not to rush a verdict.  Hence why both cases I've been on the most any lawyer asked me whats "what do you for a living?"

The only jury duty quip I have though is there needs to be more access to the bathroom, or a speaker in the restroom if your name is called.

One final funny thing:  teachers always say "they never close the schools for snow."  Yeta  few years schools were closed for a hurricane warning, and in 1996 the big blizzard, schools were closed two days.  Both instances, the hurricane being my case, the 1996 blizzard one of my co workers ... when schools were closed. courts were OPEN!!

(Yes, there's an irony that everyone finally gets off work, and you have to go in to jury duty)

So if picked with winter weather being what it is, call the court to see if its open, you may surprised.
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Offline liam0925

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 10:54:44 PM »
I  am on Federal Jury Duty this week.  The term of service is two weeks!  On Monday I had to go Brooklyn where I was called for voir dire but not selected for the jury. (Same as State, all of us with Police in the family were excused.) We were out of the Courthouse by 11:30.  I need to call in every night after 5:30 to see if I need to return.  So far, I've been told to keep on calling.  This is my first time being called for Federal jury duty; I usually get a State call every five years or so. 

I am a Crackberry addict so the hardest part of jury duty was being off line for the morning.  :tickedoff:

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 11:21:31 PM »
I  am on Federal Jury Duty this week.  The term of service is two weeks!  On Monday I had to go Brooklyn where I was called for voir dire but not selected for the jury. (Same as State, all of us with Police in the family were excused.) We were out of the Courthouse by 11:30.  I need to call in every night after 5:30 to see if I need to return.  So far, I've been told to keep on calling.  This is my first time being called for Federal jury duty; I usually get a State call every five years or so. 

I am a Crackberry addict so the hardest part of jury duty was being off line for the morning.  :tickedoff:

Wow, two weeks.  It must be hard to make any plans or to know whether or not you can keep any appointments you have made. 

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 01:01:44 PM »
Grand Jury can be a month or longer.
Kee[ your fingers crossed

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »
Incidentally, it has been my experience only one parent can be exempted under the primary caregiver rule.
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »
A few weeks ago I served on jury duty in Queens County (Kew Gardens).  I received paperwork with the Queens County seal that proves I served and it says "You are exempt from all jury service for 6 years from the date of this certificate.  Submit a copy of this certificate with any jury duty summons you receive to the sending agency."

Today I received a "juror qualification questionnaire: Queens County" notice in the mail.

Question #10 asks:
Have you served as a juror in State or Federal Court within the last 4 years?  IF SO, please provide proof (copy of certificate of service).

I'm a little confused.  Why are they asking about 4 years when the other form says I am exempt for 6?

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »
They probably put people back in the system after 4 so that by 6 they are have used up their chances to postpone?  Just kidding, I don't know.

But on a serious note, I have a name many find hard to spell.  I have gotten notices with Z in my name, without the z, with a y for the i, etc.  Check to see if the recent questionaire has your names pelt differently than the one you justs erved on, that may be the reason for the quick turnaround ...
Any questions?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »