Author Topic: Delhi Heights  (Read 3277 times)

Offline jennsch

• Activist
Delhi Heights
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:00:19 PM »
Finally went to Delhi Heights tonight and I'll definitely go back again and again. It's got to be one of the -- if not the -- prettiest restaurants in the neighborhood and the food was really really good. The mango chicken -- total yum. I was also happy to see that it's decently priced.

Offline cybgrand

• Resident
Re: Delhi Heights
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »
I second that. It's by far the best Indian in the neighborhood... with a very pretty room.

Offline v70cat

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »
I agree nice place, better quality food and service.

Offline cupcakeparade

• Resident
where's the delhi heights love?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 06:18:20 PM »
yeah yeah, i know they get a mention or two in the mass indian/bangladeshi/etc restaurant thread, but i don't see why mehfil gets its own thread while delhi heights doesn't. so i'm rectifying matters. all the delhi heights lovers, present yourselves. i, personally, love their buffet (consistently fresh, as in they don't let the food sit for too long, and give fresh naan to each table) as well as their regular menu options. i don't love the chinese-indian palate so i don't venture to that side of the menu often, but i do love their paneer dishes. plus it's simply the classiest looking restaurant in the neighborhood, that i know of, anyway.

[Moderator Note:  Similar threads merged.]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:47:38 PM by Chuckster »

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
We've been a couple times and have really liked it!
- MW

Offline markymark

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »
Its good.  Interior is beautiful.  But I have to say that Mehfil impresses me more.  Whoever is cooking at Mehfil must be one of the best chefs in the nabe.  And the service is gracious and efficient.  A perfect combination.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I've written before about how much I enjoy Delhi Heights, but I couldn't find the post, so I thought I'd write it up again.

I think I've eaten at Delhi Heights five times by now.  (It's my go-to place to take out-of-town guests.  But I end up getting take-out from the also-excellent Mehfil more often because it's located closer to home.)  Everything I have had there has been excellent.

Tonight my wife and I had the "Delhi Heights Special Baingan Bharta" which has a smoky richness that is unlike similar dishes I've had anyplace else in the neighborhood.  We also flipped over the Aachari Lamb, which had an amazing Indian pickle-based sauce that we loved, but probably isn't for everybody (if you don't like Indian sour pickles you won't like this).  We also had an extremely tasty Samosa Chat.  My kids enjoyed the Chilly Chicken and Chicken Pakoda.

The service was great, too.  I made sure to thank the manager for their support of the 37th Road Plaza.

I'm looking forward to eating outdoors there when they start sidewalk service on the Plaza.

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:47:20 AM »
Delhi Heights is a great restaurant, definitely my favorite and I've been dining at all of those restaurants for at least 30 years. That being said, I haven't eaten at Mehfil yet, but I plan on checking them out soon.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
I ate there once last year. Very good food, and really nice decor. It's fancy enough for a birthday/anniversary/special occasion dinner. Unfortunately for me, they don't deliver to my side of JH, so I usually order from Indian Taj.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
Article about Delhi Heights' plan to start sidewalk seating:

Delhi Heights Looks to Open Sidewalk Cafe in Pedestrian Plaza

JACKSON HEIGHTS — Popular Jackson Heights restaurant Delhi Heights wants to open a sidewalk cafe this summer, making it the first eatery to do so along a busy commerical stretch.
Delhi Heights is getting its paperwork together to apply for the permit to serve food on the sidewalk in the new pedestrian plaza at 73rd and 74th streets on 37th Road, owner Mohan Baruwa told DNAinfo.com New York.
“We have a lot of people coming to the plaza now,” said manager Suman Oli.  “We wanted to make the most of our sidewalk outside.”
The pedestrian plaza opened last fall and has been controversial ever since. Many local merchants complain that the plaza has led to traffic congestion problems in the area, and led to a drop in business.
But people who live and work in the area were excited for the sidewalk cafe.
“I think the sidewalk café is a great idea,” restaurant worker Shipan Dey said in Hindi.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20120507/jackson-heights/delhi-heights-looks-open-sidewalk-cafe-pedestrian-plaza#ixzz1uDeLc6Q8

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 09:42:34 PM »
I've mentioned before that I'm a fan of Delhi Heights.  In addition to their great food, I appreciate them for being one of the few businesses that openly supported the idea of closing 37th Road and creating Diversity Plaza when some of their neighbors were fighting bitterly against it.

For several years now, they've operated a small take-out window on the plaza.  Now that counter has expanded and offers a much larger menu, including several varieties of Chaat.  I look forward to trying them all and enjoying the upgraded Diversity Plaza!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 09:42:34 PM »