Author Topic: Armando's special Jan. 20  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Miss Chatelaine

• Activist
Armando's special Jan. 20
« on: January 17, 2009, 02:37:31 PM »
In case anyone is interested, Armando's is offering half-price food and wine Tuesday, January 20, to celebrate the Inauguration.

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
Re: Armando's special Jan. 20
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:36:18 AM »
I saw that sign today on my walk.  But it can't beat the advert from a bar by my school, with it's "Get Bombed With Obama" all day shots.

On a more positive note, we get a new president today!  Yay!
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Offline liam0925

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »
I'm off to Armando's in a few minutes for the last seating.  The last time I was this excited to see a new President inaugurated was back in 1960 when John F. Kennedy took the oath.  There is an energy in the country today and hopefully it will not dissipate until we solve the problems at hand.  Hopefully, the near future will bring an end to the war, and will see new solutions to our economic problems. 
Hail to the Chief!

Offline Aronan

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:39:53 PM »
I went there for dinner today. It was PACKED ! I haven't seen Armando's that full in years ! and the food was, as always, great !
"It is widely recognized that the courageous spirit of a
single man can inspire to victory an army of
thousands. If one concerned with ordinary gain can
create such an effect, how much more will be produced by one who cares for greater things ?" -Chunag Tse

Offline Griswold Contessa

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 01:32:23 AM »
I have to say that the two times I dined at Armando's I was terribly disappointed with the marinara sauce which tasted like Ragu, the bread was stale and the calamari like rubber!  Maybe things have improved.  When I want great Italian food I dine in either Parkside in Corona, Manducatis in LIC or Ponticello's in Astoria.  MANGIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Offline Queenskid

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 04:37:37 PM »
For Northern Italian try Trieste on Northern between 73rd and 74th. 

Offline jocy

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:25:33 PM »

I tried that place recently... and agreed.  BEST... FOOD... EVER...

Offline Ernie

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 09:59:08 PM »
We like Trieste too! We also like Piccolo Venezia in Astoria.

Offline Queenskid

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »
Piccolo is great.  Real old school with a very good wine list.  Trattoria l'incontro, on Ditmars Boulevard is also excellent.  Don't order off the menu; choose one of the specials.
With respect to Trieste, get the grilled portobello.  The roast chicken is also top notch, as is the chicken scapariello.  If you eat veal, the veal sauce is worth a try.  Remember, it's Northern Italian so the red sauces are not their strengths.  They also do great stuff with sauerkraut every so often.  By the way, the chef used to cook at an old time Northern Italian social club in the area. 

Offline liam0925

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »
If you have to leave the neighborhood, Williamsburg is only a short drive away. Fiore on Grand St is a great little place, their specials are very creative, service is impeccable.  Prices are low, very low.  Roberto and Nicole are the co-owners and co-chefs.
On Bedford Ave near N4th Street is a small pizzeria, La Nona.  In addition to pizza Cono serves up both traditional and not so traditional dishes.  The menu here is also very flexible allowing creativity to lead the way.  Prices here are really low!

Offline Ernie

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 03:45:28 AM »
We had a great meal at Piccolo's last night. They were in top form. Some winners:

Gnocchi with veal sauce
Arugula/radicchio/endive salad
Lasagna that they only make once a month, delicious
“Buco"lloni  ~Tortelloni filled with Veal Shank (Osso Buco) meat, served in osso buco sauce
Veal porterhouse chop, came with scalloped potatoes
Veal giardinera, pounded veal chop, breaded, lightly fried with a salad on top of it
Red Snapper Livornese
Sauteed escarole and potato croquettes were the sides offered

Dessert: Panna Cotta with raspberry sauce, hazelnut gelato and apple strudel were enjoyed
Another plus is that they have good bread/foccacia/breadsticks

Valet parking!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 03:45:28 AM »