Author Topic: Puerto Rican Arroz con Habichuelas  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
Puerto Rican Arroz con Habichuelas
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »
Is there any place in the 'hood that serves Puerto Rican Rice and Beans, bistec encebollado, arroz con gandules, carne guisada, fricase de pollo? 

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
Re: Puerto Rican Arroz con Habichuelas
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »
Mamita....I wish!

I have to cross some bridge for the real deal!

Willies Steak House in the Bronx plays Live Jazz and has your fix...It's only a 15 minute ride!!!

Joe's place is off the chain as well :rockon:
Time is running out!

Offline liam0925

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »
Is there any place in the 'hood that serves Puerto Rican Rice and Beans, bistec encebollado, arroz con gandules, carne guisada, fricase de pollo? 

Mi Casa!! :smitten:

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:24:23 PM »
Mi Casa!! :smitten:

Liam, you are definitely not shy.  I'm dying for a good Puerto Rican meal con arroz y habichuelas, I'm hungry and I'm not crossing some bridge.  So sorry to hear we don't have a PR restaurant.  Let's consider opening one.   :rockon:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:37:06 PM by Marlene »

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »
Would someone care to enlighten this gringo as to what makes Puerto Rican rice and beans different from the rice and beans served at the many Latin and South American restaurants around the neighborhood?  ???

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »
Would someone care to enlighten this gringo as to what makes Puerto Rican rice and beans different from the rice and beans served at the many Latin and South American restaurants around the neighborhood?  ???

El sabor boriqua is what makes Puerto Rican rice and beans different.  In short, it's all about the condiments used.  I include adobo, sofrito, culantro or cilantro, ham bone, potatoes, recaito, sazon, tomato paste, red pepper and a small piece of pumpkin.  :rockon:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:55:13 PM by Marlene »

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:44:58 PM »

I have never ever eaten beans like my grandmas and aunts made and make.  True, we ate beans so much I couldn't really enjoy them as I would now.  While many Latin places make good beans they are still different to ours.  Dominicans make beans that are somewhat similar but a lot more simple than a true Puertorican bean stew and I have eaten amazing beans in some Colombian places (they had the pigs skin and smoked ham).  While I have to admit my grandma made beans 4 or 5 times per week they were very different from one another. We never had red beans more than once in any week day.

Red beans and pinto beans beans were usually more robust.  Then you had the Frijoles, which to us were different and a bit more simply made...what are known as Black beans (more popular with Cubans) and black eye peas.  We also ate gandules (pigeon peas)weekly either in rice or stewed.  One of my favorite was Garbanzos with pigs feet which you will never find anywhere...many households will not cook their beans without pigs feet (not found outside peoples homes).  Yes, Marlene is right...The real deal was made with smoked ham on the bone and slowly cooked until it fell off the bone (unless you had the pressure cooker).  I learned to use "tocineta", that's the bacon like fat and pan fried to squeeze the fat off the sucker and then used to "sofreir" or sauteed the onions, peppers and recaito and also added calabaza chunks (pumpkin).  There was also havas or avas (they look like butter beans or something like that) 

While we didn't use adobo for the beans as a main seasoning we did use it sparingly when there was something missing.  It's not an exact science but Laurel, culantro, achiote and even aji dulces (small and thin peppers not usually found in typical venues) add a special flavor, a type of something that just reminds me of my childhood in PR.  I'm sorry, I haven't found that flavor anywhere here in the last 15 years.  I used to go to a regular cuchifrito over 20 years ago and I have to tell you, many were very involved in making sure things taste like home cooking. Try Cabana in Forest hills or South Street seaport, owner has said in interviews that he stole many of his recepies from his Puertorican Mother-In-law  :D
Time is running out!

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:30:29 PM »
We must open up that Puerto Rican restaurant in the 'hood.  I think we can use Liam, Marlene and NYC Native in the kitchen of course and we should name it Puerto Rico, Borinquen, Boriqua or Cafe Boriqua.  Grandma can come in to do the empanadas, las empanadillas, las alcapurrias, los rellenos de papa, los pasteles, el arroz con dulce, los limbels, y los guineos en escabeche, el sancocho (for those rough nights).  The sancocho will revive the dead.  Believe me.  So let's do it.  I'm hungry!  We can add some latin musicians in the background if you'd like.  Nothing like latin music.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0THaWykTjU&feature=PlayList&p=78AB9EE993A829A8&playnext=1&index=3

How many in the Jackson Heights Life community would be interested in this type of restaurant in Jackson Heights.  Please share. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:42:05 PM by Marlene »

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 11:54:15 AM »
Thanks Marlene and NYC Native for enlightening me. (But please postpone the grand opening of your restaurant until I am off my annual post-holiday low-carb diet!)  ;D

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 11:54:15 AM »