Author Topic: Owning/parking a scooter in JH?  (Read 584 times)

Offline Reverse_Seared

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2021
Owning/parking a scooter in JH?
« on: March 27, 2021, 12:05:35 PM »
I’m moving to the neighborhood with my wife, who can’t drive or ride a bike. We want to extend our range without relying solely on public transit or rideshares, and without the hassle of parking a car.

Has anyone had success owning a scooter (e.g., a Vespa) and parking it on the street? I’d also be open to a fully electric scooter like Revel if there’s anywhere to charge it.

Pros/cons?

Offline JHHD

• Citizen
Re: Owning/parking a scooter in JH?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 10:42:51 PM »
Without ever having owned a scooter myself, I'm pretty sure the pros are that it's super easy to park, and you can just scoot past the block long line of traffic waiting to cross the light at Northern Blvd or 37th or Roosevelt Ave, or pretty much any other traffic.
The cons are that people parking cars will probably damage it and knock it over from time to time before it gets stolen, and I think it's pretty easy to steal a scooter. Two guys can literally pick it up and put in the back of a pickup or van in 30 seconds and be gone.
Come to think of it, I don't think I ever see any scooters parked around here, the theft issue is probably the reason.

Offline auxbarricades

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 08:32:07 AM »
I've had a small motorcycle (250cc, weighs 300lbs) for the last couple of years in the neighborhood.

My thoughts are:

I would obey traffic laws and do not cut around cars at lights, that's a recipe for disaster. In general, riding a 2-wheeled motorized vehicle is in incredibly dangerous in the city. How far are you looking to extend your range? Are we talking about jaunts to Fort Tilden or a quick trip to the Lemon Ice King of Corona. The former is gonna be a big stretch on something like a Vespa, the latter is doable.

I don't worry about someone stealing my bike for one reason:  I pay the extra for theft insurance. As well, I take a few preventative measures to insure that someone is gonna hesitate if they see an opportunity to steal the bike. These are: an all-weather cover that I keep on the bike when I'm not riding it. I also have a large padlock with an alarm on it that I keep attached to the front wheel. Ultimately, if someone really wants to steal your ride, they will. Just buy the theft insurance! You'll sleep like a rock.

My last piece of advice is to make sure that you have a place that you can garage it for the winter. If we have a winter like this past one and your scooter stays outside, it's gonna be pretty unhappy come spring time! I wish I could advise you where to put it, but I'm lucky enough to have a garage at work and an understanding boss. I think there might be something in Red Hook?

I know this seems like a lot of cons so I'll end with the pros:

It's incredibly easy to park. Stupid easy. Ridiculously easy. So easy literally anywhere in the city you'll never think about parking again.

I've loved my bike, Queens is definitely more tailored to motorized vehicles than Manhattan or Brooklyn and there is a bunch of fun places or restaurants that can really only be accessed by a vehicle. The first 2 things that come to mind is the public pool at Fort Totten and the Temple Canteen at the Hindu Temple in Flushing.

There's truly nothing else like running around the city on a little zip-code bike on a warm day, that is if you can get away from the traffic!

Hope this helps!

P.S. My wife and I also own a small hatchback and JH is a lot easier to park than you might think. I would give a car a 2nd thought, there's a bunch of dealerships on Northern Blvd you can walk to.

P.P.S. If you get any kind of scooter with a larger engine than 50cc's, you're gonna need to get a motorcycle's license! The city basically funnels you into a motorcycle class to get the license. I have more info on that if you'd like. Feel free to DM me.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 03:19:32 PM »
I’m moving to the neighborhood with my wife, who can’t drive or ride a bike. We want to extend our range without relying solely on public transit or rideshares, and without the hassle of parking a car.

Has anyone had success owning a scooter (e.g., a Vespa) and parking it on the street? I’d also be open to a fully electric scooter like Revel if there’s anywhere to charge it.

Pros/cons?

The streets are narrow - double/triple parking common, drivers inconsiderate, blind-to-2-wheeled road users .... sometimes verging on the downright psychopathic.

It's a brave person who would use a vespa/scooter in JH.

A braver one still who would use one regularly with their wife as a passenger.

The bravest one would be someone who bought one for their wife to use who "can't drive or ride a bike".

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 08:00:54 PM »
I noticed 2-3 Revel scooters parked along 34th Ave during my walk earlier.

Offline Reverse_Seared

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2021
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 08:53:05 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I commute to midtown on a Onewheel sometimes, so I’m cavalier about the safety issues, but it’s a great point. And my wife would only be a passenger, never the driver (unless she gets a license).

Seems like winter storage is the biggest issue, as well as having enough use cases that don’t have me riding across bridges and on crazy highways.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 08:53:05 PM »