Author Topic: Gabriel the Barber is Back!  (Read 821 times)

Offline parisnydude99@yahoo.com

• Tourist
Gabriel the Barber is Back!
« on: March 23, 2021, 02:16:26 AM »
Gabriel the Barber is Back!

Many gentlemen in Jackson Heights will be familiar with the old barbershop on 76th street just opposite the Food Town (35-64 76th St.) Some months back, it was purchased by a new owner and renamed “EJs Barber”.

That old shop had been in business for decades and with it, Gabriel.  He had worked there for at least 20 years and was likely the most popular barber in Jackson Heights – as evidenced by the considerable waiting time required to get a haircut.

The new owner has no idea where Gabriel went – or so he claims.

Well, Gabriel is back in the neighborhood.  By sheer chance, I got his number during the height of the pandemic when barbers took patrons by appointment only.  I texted him and, fortunately, got a reply straight away. 

Gabriel is now working at a very small shop on the south side of 37th Ave. around 83rd St.

You can make an appointment to see him by ringing his cell: 347-232-6706

He told me that he occasionally bumps into old clients on the street and gives them his business card.  But regrettably, he has lost the bulk of his old customers as they simply do not know where he is.   

He said he is considering opening his own shop.  I think if he does so, and names it simply “Gabriel’s of Jackson Heights”, the chairs will soon be filled with loyal patrons, just like myself, watching Italian football on TV while waiting to get a haircut. 

Offline GS

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 1987
Re: Gabriel the Barber is Back!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:58:48 PM »
Gabriel has moved to Visage Unisex Hair Salon 35-61 77th Street
(347) 232-6706

Offline jh_foodie

• Citizen
  • Lived here since: 1990
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 08:03:57 PM »
He's that good? What's he charging at Visage?

Offline antparty

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 03:48:26 PM »
I, uh, don’t have all that much hair and once got a compliment on my Gabriel haircut later on that weekend from the salon owner giving my child a haircut. All scissors, old-school cut and the price is, well,  when you pay with a $20 you get change back.  I’ll check him out at visage. EJ is great, as well, and very skilled.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 03:48:26 PM »