Author Topic: What do you think of vendors on 34th Avenue?  (Read 2158 times)

Offline JHResident

• Activist
Re: What do you think of vendors on 34th Avenue?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »
34th Ave is working fine...and the majority of folks are happy with it.

That's what matters. THE MAJORITY.
Everyone matters.  Not just the majority. 

Any change has to weigh the benefits for the people who use the street against the minority who are negatively impacted by it.  The issue of no access to 78th Street has never been addressed, other than to tell people to move the barricade.  How about remove the barricades on 77th and 78th and 79th Street instead?  Why not consider alternatives?  How about removing the center median or allowing parking against the center median on days where Street Cleaning Rules are in effect?  How about not blocking off 34th Avenue during inclement weather, or adjusting the days or hours?  The current setup was selected arbitrarily and not much has been done to find out how it's working other than informal polls and Zoom meetings.  How about actually doing some traffic analysis and coming up with a plan that appeases both those who enjoy the current setup and those who would prefer something else.

My vote would be to possibly expand the park space in Jackson Heights and eliminate the street closures.  Pedestrians have sidewalks, bicyclists have bikeways, motorists have roads, and lunatic electric scooters can continue to endanger everyone.

If the current situation continues, I could live with it too, it's not the end of the world either way.  But the if the pandemic ends with successful mass vaccination and herd immunity, I think a serious study of what is best for the neighborhood should be conducted, not just relying on those who have good broadband access and are vocal.

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 01:44:06 PM »
I have one question:

How do we know that a majority are happy with Open Streets?

There has been no effort to get to a majority of of the residents of 34th Avenue or Jackson Heights. There has been discussions here and on Facebook / Twitter. But what about residents who are no following those social sites. No open meeting, no unbiased survey (not-internet based), etc.

Offline hagsrus

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 03:13:22 PM »
"expand the park space in Jackson Heights" - would be wonderful, but where?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 06:51:38 PM »

exactly. it's akin to the idea of "close LaGuardia to cut down on noise." reality has to enter into the equation on some level. do we declare eminent domain on homes? businesses? both?

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 07:37:59 PM »

exactly. it's akin to the idea of "close LaGuardia to cut down on noise." reality has to enter into the equation on some level. do we declare eminent domain on homes? businesses? both?
How did they expand Travers Park? Annex some other streets next to current playgrounds. Make the Sunday closure of 79th St. permanent. Take over 94th or 93rd St. next to that park. Develop Landing Lights parks so people other than baseball players and dog walkers can enjoy them. Take over some of the car lots along Northern using eminent domain and public nuisance laws or just buying them. Make the little league field a public park. Etc.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 07:59:57 PM »

How did they expand Travers Park? Annex some other streets next to current playgrounds. Make the Sunday closure of 79th St. permanent. Take over 94th or 93rd St. next to that park. Develop Landing Lights parks so people other than baseball players and dog walkers can enjoy them. Take over some of the car lots along Northern using eminent domain and public nuisance laws or just buying them. Make the little league field a public park. Etc.

Yay!  JH Resident, who must be a billionaire, is going to fund all this park construction!  Hooray!

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 11:18:10 AM »
 There ARE places in which the green spaces could expand. But what is most concerning is the aspect of the now vs. what the needs might be in 3-5 years. Will walking down 34th ave always be as interesting to residents when the pandemic is behind us? Should we stage in real improvements slowly and see the response? Or do we just go all out, right now, and ask for everything to be permanent for the foreseeable future?

If I was a person very invested in the Open Streets program, I would want to know what every objection was so that I could deal with it before proceeding. The fact that certain constituent's issues are being totally ignored is concerning. The area around 77th/78th/79th needs real attention. The people who need rides are in desperate straights here. The traffic around the park is clogged now and gets awful every summer. Who knows what this summer will bring? The top of 34th at Junction is a major traffic issue with the supermarket exits and the bottom at 69th street needs to be reconsidered
with lack of walkers and businesses impacted negatively. These are just a few of the issues that need solutions in the short/long term.

Yes, there is green space and play space to be found here in JH Lot's of areas in public schools could be opened to the community and insides and rooftops could provide much extra space. It seems like closing areas like 90th/91st Street where there has been significant crime over the years would benefit from closures. But the way the discussion has gone so far saying "Don't Change Anything!" and leave 34th Ave closed 12hrs a day, 7 days a week and count on volunteers at all times to move barriers and clean and garden is just not making sense to me long term - or frankly, now.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2021, 01:24:32 PM »
Folks are loving strolling down 34th Ave.

It's great.

And I am thrilled it will be around permanently.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 01:50:33 PM »
" Yes, there is green space and play space to be found here in JH Lot's of areas in public schools could be opened to the community and insides and rooftops could provide much extra space. It seems like closing areas like 90th/91st Street where there has been significant crime over the years would benefit from closures."

1) how do you deal with security around schools? most parents might raise concerns about making schoolyards and school rooftops open to everyone.

2) how do you deal with insurance for people randomly climbing onto rooftops? and how do you transform those rooftops from asphalt to "green space."

3) how would closing a crime ridden street to traffic cut down on crime when most of that crime is committed on foot?

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2021, 02:51:43 PM »
 Responding to the above post:
    1) how do you deal with security around schools? most parents might raise concerns about making schoolyards and school rooftops open to everyone.
       Have you ever been around IS145 after school hours? There are many groups using this space.The yard is very popular and the cafe style tables added in recent years are wonderful. I think that the yard in front of PS69 could be used by the community with some but not lots of supervision for example. The school up at 90th? has popular dance classes and other offerings already. These spaces can be rented though I am not sure exactly the method- might go through the janitors?. There is great space in IS230 that is sometimes rented by religious groups on the weekends. The newest JH school at 70th and 34th ave. looks to have rooftop space but am not sure if anyone uses it yet. Since the open play fields were taken over by the fenced off green mound in Traver Pk. free play spaces are not so available here. These are just a few random places that I know about and until we FINALLY get a community center, this might work.

2) how do you deal with insurance for people randomly climbing onto rooftops? and how do you transform those rooftops from asphalt to "green space."
       The same insurance that the above groups pay to the city could be used by the community. I am not sure that everyone is looking for "green space" but rather "play space" or just free space. I remember that for years an older woman would play basketball by herself in the morning at Travers Park and a guy with big headphones and rollerblades would be zooming around. There was a thriving dog walking group in the AM and PM before the renovations. No, its wasn't green but was what they used well apparently. Green is also high maintenance and very costly as lawns are considered poor choices in urban areas. Native plants and shrubs are better bang for buck.

3) how would closing a crime ridden street to traffic cut down on crime when most of that crime is committed on foot?
        I know that this is true but it also seems like more eyes might be on the street and if accomplices were part of it, they couldn't make a quick getaway with closed streets. Also am thinking that shorter blocks can ban adult use of bicycles which is another deterrent. Have older bikers dismount for that block for safety. Could have a crossing guard or traffic cop here which is a job that many people would be qualified for. Hire locals.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2021, 01:00:07 PM »
thank you for a serious, well-considered reply. you make some excellent points, and some that i disagree with. need to digest and not toss off an off the cuff response.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2021, 01:00:07 PM »