Author Topic: What do you think of vendors on 34th Avenue?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
What do you think of vendors on 34th Avenue?
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:46:45 AM »
While not new, this is extremely disturbing and we should have to accept crap like this simply because it isn't new. This is Moya's district if I remember correctly, and lord knows he's not going to lift a finger to fix the violence that happens over there all the damn time.

MODERATOR NOTE: The above comment was originally posted to the Gunman Opens Fire Into Jackson Heights Apartment thread. This new thread has been created to discuss vendors on 34th Ave.

Anyhoo, what do you all think about venders on 34th Ave? I'm fine with a taco or tamale cart, but I'm drawing the line at churros and lemonade stands.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:22:55 AM by JHMNY »

Offline jh35

• Council Member
What do you think of vendors on 34th Avenue?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 10:24:56 AM »

Anyhoo, what do you all think about venders on 34th Ave? I'm fine with a taco or tamale cart, but I'm drawing the line at churros and lemonade stands.

Another reason why the circus should have been on 37th avenue.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:20:39 AM by JHMNY »

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
Re: What do you think of vendors on 34th Avenue?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »
While not new, this is extremely disturbing and we should have to accept crap like this simply because it isn't new. This is Moya's district if I remember correctly, and lord knows he's not going to lift a finger to fix the violence that happens over there all the damn time.

MODERATOR NOTE: The above comment was originally posted to the Gunman Opens Fire Into Jackson Heights Apartment thread. This new thread has been created to discuss vendors on 34th Ave.

Umm... I don't really care about vendors on 34th Ave. The purpose of those last two sentences was to draw attention to the absurdity of worrying about what happens on 34th Ave. when there are more important things to be concerned with in this neighborhood. Like I don't know... some freak show shooting into an apartment building, or the the increase assaults, or any number of other things that have a much greater impact on the quality of life in Jackson Heights.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 11:34:00 AM »
I think it's a great idea to have a thread about vendors on 34th Ave.. I don't live on 34th Ave, but I have heard from some residents that they are concerned about the additional trash issues, and also noise/smells, especially if the cart or vehicle for vending is set up directly outside of people's apartment windows.

Would love to hear from other residents of 34th Ave or the surrounding blocks to hear their opinions.

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 02:34:51 PM »
I am concerned about vendors for several reasons:

1. Health concerns - quality of food, cleaniness of the cooking, etc. Basically keeping up with the NYC guidelines for healthy food services - esp. disease issues.

2. Garbage left in the area.

3. Increase in vermin from the garbage and food.

4. The unfair competition for our local merchants who have suffered for over 1 year because of the COVID close down. Support our merchants.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »
 The advocates for Open Streets permanent closure while in a pandemic without serious urban planning studies are going to get more than they wished for. The potential for Carnivale with any of the necessary supports is high. The vendors, the trash, the ebikes, the 12hr every day closures! and other aspects need a real examination over a period of time to insure that things are done with a good outcome for all of our residents. We can find lessons from the High Line where people who live next door to it are the least happy. Let's not make issues where we can avoid it. Compromises could be had!

BTW, 37th Ave and Northern Blvd both have some truly excellent restaurants, delis and cafes that could really use more business right now.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 04:55:02 PM »
  We can find lessons from the High Line where people who live next door to it are the least happy.

This is 100% incorrect. After the High Line was built many, many luxury apartments have been developed along its route.
The folks who buy these luxury multi million dollar homes are buying them BECAUSE they are next to the High Line.
The High Line has turned out to be the catalyst for these cutting edge buildings designed by famous architects.

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 07:13:17 PM »
There's a lot of great ideas here, and I'm glad that this has turned into a productive conversation. Ultimately, while I do enjoy taking a stroll down 34th, and feel that is a great benefit to the community since there is so little public space, I'm ambivalent about allowing vendors. There are times when I'm walking there and think to myself "man I'd really like an empanada" but then I remember, as one person mentioned, that there are several excellent places on Northern or 37th where I could find one. In other words, the lack of vendors will not keep me from taking a brisk evening walk.

Anyhoo, how do you all feel about the stack of drunks on 82nd Street, the increase in assaults, and the freak shows that like to shoot into windows?

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 07:48:08 PM »
  We can find lessons from the High Line where people who live next door to it are the least happy.

This is 100% incorrect. After the High Line was built many, many luxury apartments have been developed along its route.
The folks who buy these luxury multi million dollar homes are buying them BECAUSE they are next to the High Line.
The High Line has turned out to be the catalyst for these cutting edge buildings designed by famous architects.

Oh my, I couldn't have said it better. New luxury buildings, however esteemed the architects, do not often improve life for the long time residents. Check out various stories on NY1 about locals being forced off sidewalks by throngs of High Line visitors and how they leave food waste all over the place. Not to mention the noise level and vendors issues. Sorry but High Line type development is not a sell for locals, luxury apts though might be in favor.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 08:28:41 PM »
Comparing apples with oranges is no help at all.

There is no way luxury apartment developments built by esteemed architects will be constructed in Jackson Heights/Corona along 34th Ave.

Just like urban living cannot be compared with suburban living.

A person might as well compare 34th Ave to the Champs Elysees in Paris.
These comparisons are attempting to prove a point with no logic behind them.

34th Ave is nothing like the High Line in upmarket Chelsea.

Nor should it be.

Offline hagsrus

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 12:04:47 AM »
"locals being forced off sidewalks by throngs of High Line visitors" - I do sympathize, but some of those sidewalks hardly accommodate one person. And 74th Street between Roosevelt and 37th can get very congested with large family clusters at times!

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 09:48:13 AM »
 :-\

Offline Suzaan

• Citizen
    • My publications
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 06:55:23 PM »
No vendors on 34th.  Some areas -- like parks and such -- should be free of mercantilism.  Those hungry or thirsty can go a block north or south.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 09:05:43 AM »
 That luxury building on Roosevelt and 70th streets seems to be doing just fine. It looks pretty well occupied and having that great restaurant row across the street with UFC and the Isakawa has got to be a selling point. They have a great deal on daytime parking too. Looks like 6 apts are available on Streeteasy. So no, we are not the same market as the High Line by a long stretch but there are new luxury buildings in the lower 70's and sadly this might mean the loss of our South Asian community which does not seem to have a voice here in the neighborhood with the horrendous traffic and filthy streets that never change.
  One other thing that I believe is important. The Highline was built slowly. In manageable pieces. And they are still adding to it. The 34th Ave project feels too big to do well in one shot. Many people feel this way but the political voices are not saying so just yet. Take it slow and do it well please!

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »
Jackson Heights in Queens is nothing like the fancy parts of Manhattan/Brooklyn.

Like I said before, you might as well compare Jackson Heights to Paris, it's equally absurd.

34th Ave is working fine...and the majority of folks are happy with it.

That's what matters. THE MAJORITY.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »