Author Topic: Citifield to become 24/7 mega vaccination site  (Read 921 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Citifield to become 24/7 mega vaccination site
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:55:24 AM »
This seems like good news for our area. It should make getting to a vaccination location easier since it's pretty close by. Hoping the vaccination distribution goes smoothly. It seems off to a bit of a rocky start.

https://www.amny.com/news/queens-citi-field-to-become-24-7-covid-19-vaccination-hub/

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Citi Field will become a 24/7 mega COVID-19 vaccination site during his daily press conference on Tuesday, Jan. 12.

The site will be run inside the stadium, located at 41 Seaver Way, by NYC Health + Hospitals, and will have a capacity to administer 5,000 to 7,000 vaccines a day. It will open in the week of Jan. 25, according to the mayor.

“This is going to be fantastic. This is going to help so many people get vaccinated,” de Blasio said, praising the Mets for stepping up and helping the people of Queens and New York City as a whole. “We welcome Queens residents. We welcome all New Yorkers. We even welcome Yankees fans. There is no discrimination.”

Offline ljr

• Mayor
Re: Citifield to become 24/7 mega vaccination site
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 12:17:15 PM »
People I know have been posting on FB that they have made vaccination appointments--at least one of them is not a healthcare worker or essential worker but must be qualified under the new rules by being 65+. I tried to find an appointment but the online system is telling me "no available appointments within 50 miles of your zip code." Has anyone in this area succeeded at getting an appointment under the new rules? This message actually seemed to apply even to healthcare workers. The person I know who said she got an appointment is in Manhattan.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:46:51 PM »
People I know have been posting on FB that they have made vaccination appointments--at least one of them is not a healthcare worker or essential worker but must be qualified under the new rules by being 65+. I tried to find an appointment but the online system is telling me "no available appointments within 50 miles of your zip code." Has anyone in this area succeeded at getting an appointment under the new rules? This message actually seemed to apply even to healthcare workers. The person I know who said she got an appointment is in Manhattan.

My sister got an appointment for her MIL (age around 80) at the Javits Center in Manhattan. She mentioned that she had some trouble achieving this, but didn't say what kind of trouble.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 02:13:26 PM »
I just noticed that we will have a vaccination site a bit closer to us, on Junction Blvd just south of 34th Ave.

The city's first 24/7 vaccination sites opened Sunday in Brooklyn and The Bronx. A third opened Tuesday at 125 Worth Street in Manhattan.

Another is slated to open Saturday at the New York City Department of Health clinic at 34-33 Junction Blvd. in Corona, according to City Hall officials.

https://patch.com/new-york/queens/citi-field-transform-24-hour-coronavirus-vaccination-site

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 08:58:10 AM »
I give Cuomo and De Blasio both an "F" when it comes to this vaccine rollout.

I've been trying for 2 weeks now to get an appointment for my 85-year-old mother, but as soon as Cuomo dropped the age qualification to 65, it seems to have overwhelmed ALL of the city's online sign-up portals. NONE have appointments available at anytime in the next 4 months.

I'm hoping they will have a drive-thru option at Citi Field (as I've seen at stadiums and arenas in other states) so that getting the elderly TO a vaccination center will be as easy as possible.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:59:29 PM »
I was told today that this link periodically opens up new appointments, and the person who told me this got one this afternoon:

https://www.apschedule.com/nycdohcovax.

None of the websites are very easy to navigate, and in some cases you have to scroll and scroll and scroll to find something available --but it may be there at the bottom of many pages, so try to be patient and keep looking. At one site, it threw up a list of possible locations and when I clicked on the ones in Queens there was nothing available, but when I clicked on locations further away, I did find available appointments. Not easy to navigate at all--and it was a few days ago, but I did find available appointments. I think you have to keep looking to see if they have added any appointments. 

Offline E train

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 05:41:54 PM »
 Don't bother with the site just referenced, it's closed.

I had both vaccinations scheduled and confirmed with Mt Sinai only to be told today that they have run out of vaccine and have no idea when or if they will be able to re-schedule appointments. So my appointments are cancelled and there is no working alternative option. The political class that is responsible for administering this program-those in Albany and in NYC-should be having ongoing public meetings in which they address the shortfall in the vaccine and the distribution of the vaccine they have on hand. I am just fed up with the lot of them.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 05:41:54 PM »