Author Topic: The eyesore that is Diversity Plaza  (Read 3107 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: The eyesore that is Diversity Plaza
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 09:48:26 PM »
i've called 311 hundreds of times about dudes running red lights or honking incessantly at our corner. nothing's changed in 19 years.

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 07:34:52 AM »
i've called 311 hundreds of times about dudes running red lights or honking incessantly at our corner. nothing's changed in 19 years.

Focus on the more serious issues and the smaller ones will fix themselves.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 11:08:15 AM »

a) you don't call 311 for serious issues.
b) if they'll fix themselves, why haven't they fixed themselves in 19 years?

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 07:48:58 PM »

a) you don't call 311 for serious issues.
b) if they'll fix themselves, why haven't they fixed themselves in 19 years?

a) If there is an ongoing problem that the police and our elected officials refuse to do anything about after calling 911 hundreds of times, for instance a brothel operating across the street, getting a bunch of people to call 311 hundreds of times seems to have an affect.

b) Once the larger problem is solved, in this example an illegal brothel, other problems (a bunch of seedy drunk dudes in front of the house) resolve themselves.

I don't know why people tend to honk their horns and run red lights on your corner, but it isn't unreasonable to assume that they frequent that corner because there is a larger issue that is bringing them there. Of course in the case of horn honking, some people are just jerks. But if it is happening on a daily basis, and it is the same cars doing it all the time, there must be a larger reason than it just being being a bunch of goons who like to honk their horns in the same spot every day.

The people around here who like to engage in illegal activities that are damaging to the community aren't exactly smart, but they are smart enough to know that they can get away with it because the community just says "meh, that's the way it is" but then complains with no action when things go south. 

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 06:59:41 PM »
The topic crime in the neighborhood, which extends far beyond Diversity Plaza, came up on the Jackson Heights 11372 Facebook group. I'm happy to see that there are people in our community that are interested in doing something about it, as opposed to simply explaining it away. People offer some excellent suggestions. Here is the thread:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/jacksonheights/permalink/10158872760653965/

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 06:59:41 PM »