Get Connected > Neighborhood Chat

The eyesore that is Diversity Plaza

(1/4) > >>

pipman:
Took a walk through the neighborhood in New Year's Day--34th Avenue not too busy, then down to Diversity Plaza which gets dirtier and uglier--from the shanties that were set up by a few restaurants to having more trash receptacles than trees.  Then approaching Roosevelt Avenue is a bird-poop laden sidewalk.  Some of our community leaders hailed Diversity Plaza as a nice space for our neighborhood--and are now pushing for Open Streets on 34th Avenue.  Would be great to have funds to keep Diversity Plaza clean--it is one of the main entries into our neighborhood.  There are congested areas in Manhattan and elsewhere that can keep open spaces clean and welcoming. Any thoughts on how this area can be improved.

dssjh:

--- Quote from: pipman on January 02, 2021, 11:22:36 AM ---. Any thoughts on how this area can be improved.

--- End quote ---
Starting points? Vaccinations. mask wearing. hand sanitizing. no need for "shanties" if restaurants can be open. Tree planting would be a great idea, but they're not cheap. hopefully, we can get a few planted.

abcdefghijk:
I remember that area before Diversity Plaza.

It was far, far worse.

Ms. Jackson:
I'm sad to hear this. My last walk through there a few weeks ago, I was surprised how much cleaner it seemed since my commuting days. I guess I caught it on a good day. The pigeon mess under the subway station on the other side of Roosevelt!!! Seems like a health hazard. So disgusting. The trees will never survive the soil being as compacted as it is from so much foot traffic not staying on sidewalks/pathways.

dssjh:

--- Quote from: abcdefghijk on January 02, 2021, 03:52:02 PM ---I remember that area before Diversity Plaza.

It was far, far worse.

--- End quote ---

absolutely agree. thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version