Author Topic: Loud tone/sound coming from Elmhurst Hospital vicinity  (Read 905 times)

Offline jrtallent

• Tourist
Loud tone/sound coming from Elmhurst Hospital vicinity
« on: November 01, 2020, 09:39:20 PM »
Hi, just wondering if anyone in the neighborhood has noticed this sound lately. It seems loudest near the corner of Baxter and Judge, a continous vibrating tone almost like a tuning fork.

It's hard to pinpoint because sound bounces around but it seems like it could be coming
from a piece of machinery parked alongside the exterior wall of the hospital.

I live several blocks away and can hear it with the windows closed. Just wanted to see if anyone has noticed or might know the source of the sound. Thanks!

Offline itsjustme

• Citizen
Re: Loud tone/sound coming from Elmhurst Hospital vicinity
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 08:01:09 PM »
I've noticed it too, especially the last few days. As a data point, I'm by P.S. 69. I'd guessed it was rooftop equipment from somewhere nearby, but hadn't walked around to investigate yet. Hope it stops soon; it's pretty abrasive. :/

Offline dgQNS

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 06:41:54 PM »
I've lived right here on the corner of 81st and 41st Ave for 6 years now. It's the same sound I've heard happen in the middle of the night for years - but now it happens during the day too. I believe it's coming from the area where the oxygen trucks do their refills. Perhaps related to those O2 tanks?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 06:41:54 PM »