Author Topic: Early voting starts today  (Read 1184 times)

Offline JHResident

• Activist
Early voting starts today
« on: October 24, 2020, 10:42:36 AM »
I went to vote today, but the line is around the block.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
Re: Early voting starts today
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »
The line to vote at the library begins at the corner of 37th Av and 81st St and goes counter clockwise up 37th Ave, up 82nd St, down 35th Av and down 81st St.  I asked a woman at the front of the line and she said she had been waiting for one hour.  Some people had chairs, smart move if you can't stand on your feet for an hour.  Most people are wearing masks while waiting, but a few are taking them off to drink coffee or smoke.  One person had their dog, not a good idea.  Leave your dog home.  Some people had their children.  I usually think it's a good idea to bring your children to watch you vote, but you may need to consider whether they have the patience to wait an hour on line.

They're still time to request an absentee ballot, so you may want to consider.

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 11:42:10 AM »
I went by this morning too and couldn't believe the line.  I will come back sometime in the coming week and hopefully it will be a little shorter.  If not, I'll go on election day and wait as long as it takes. 

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 01:52:52 PM »
Does anyone know.... does one have to wait in this long line if they are just turning in an absentee ballot in-person?

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 02:03:05 PM »
Does anyone know.... does one have to wait in this long line if they are just turning in an absentee ballot in-person?

i was wondering that myself. i know that early voting sites are not necessarily the same as regular voting sites -- although i think mine has only moved from Renaissance School to the Libary.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 04:47:09 PM »
I'd like to know that, too!

On a different note, can anyone explain to me how/why Supreme Court candidates end up on the ballot for all parties? Is there a centralized resource where one can learn about their record (aside from just googling randomly)? Thanks in advance!

Offline BEB

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »
There were two election workers stationed right outside the entrance so I asked this question today. They told me there was a drop box just inside the door where you can deposit your completed absentee ballot.

On a related note, I used a roller ball pen to fill out the ballot and the ink bled through to the other side. I suggest using a ball point pen to fill yours out...just to be safe. ;)

And on a last thing, if this two party system has got you down and you are voting for the Biden/Harris ticket and Jessica Ramos, I encourage you to vote for them on the working families party line.

Personally, I found it very touching to see our community out there and strong, showing our commitment to democracy during this challenging time. Wishing everyone good luck voting!!

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 08:48:38 PM »
Thanks BEB.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 06:55:43 AM »
The line is a block and a half long now, 10 minutes before they're supposed to open. From Community Church stairs on 35th Ave down 81st St.

Offline ihansen

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 08:35:37 AM »
For those who (1) requested an absentee ballot and then (2) worried it would get lost in the mail or arrive too late and so decided not to send it in and to vote in person instead, and now (3) are having second thoughts because of the long lines, here's the good news:

According to https://www.ny.gov/early-voting-and-absentee-voting-mail-or-dropbox

Signed absentee ballots may be returned in any of the following ways:
Put it in the mail ensuring it receives a postmark no later than November 3
Drop it off at an early voting poll site between October 24 and November 1. No need to wait.
Drop it off at a poll site on November 3 by 9pm
Drop it off at your County Board of Elections Office no later than November 3 by 9pm (see list of County Board of Elections Offices below)

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 09:29:50 AM »
I was finished voting by 7:42, or 52 minutes from start to finish, including 10 minutes prior to the site opening.  As others have mentioned, if you have an absentee ballot, you can go to the front of the line and deposit it in a drop box.  The voters were patient for the most part, no one tried to cut the line that I saw, although one person held a spot for another.  It's downtown Jackson Heights, so you probably won't be able to find parking long enough to vote, so walk or get a ride.  The election workers seemed to know what they were doing, alth0ugh there are a couple of chokepoints on the way upstairs into the children's library that they could have marked more clearly, or possibly roped off to control traffic flow.  Social distancing is maintained only by voter self control, for the most part.  They do hold the line at the entrance and control the number of people at each station, but the space is small and you will probably get a little COVID claustrophobia if you're like me, particularly in the actual room where the ballots are cast.  They provide a combination tablet stylus and ballpoint pen to mark your ballot.  The signature goes on the tablet and you then press the button to open the ballpoint to complete the voting.  The scanners were working well and I got out of the voting room very quickly considering the election worker was having a hard time hearing people giving their names orally.

If you have the voter card, I encourage you to bring it and you'll get checked more quickly.

Offline petegart

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 09:52:04 AM »
Today, Monday October 26th, 2020, we arrived onto the line @ 9:15am, and our voting was completed by 9:40am.  Really not bad, the poll workers were all on-point, and the social distancing was being enforced. 

Offline Matt

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 11:59:36 PM »
I went on Sunday afternoon and I waited in line for about 30-45 minutes. A poll worker came out at one point and said that seniors don't have to wait in line and can move to the front of the line. When I was near the entrance, two seniors appeared who were turned off by the long line and were about to postpone until another day - Myself and another person in line stopped them and told them that seniors don't have to wait in the line. They spoke to the poll worker at the entrance and were let in with the next group.

Any seniors should take note of this.

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »
Just now (on Friday afternoon) I was in line at 1:45 and I was done and on my way by 2:05.  Not bad at all!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »