Author Topic: Update for NYSC members  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Update for NYSC members
« on: April 01, 2020, 10:00:05 AM »
NYSC seems to be doing the right thing, most likely because they were threatened with a class action lawsuit. In any case, here's the update I got by email:

Dear Valued Member,

We hope you and your family are staying healthy and doing well.

I am reaching out to address the concerns members have expressed regarding membership dues. I want to reassure you that, as previously promised, we will issue credits to your accounts and address all membership-related concerns once our gyms are operating.

As of last Sunday, President Trump extended the national “shutdown” to April 30th. We want to ensure that we do all we can in order to keep our members healthy during this time. Therefore, as of April 1st, we will begin to offer a free, premium, exercise streaming service to all our members via the Plankk app.  The app includes more than 30 live classes per week including HIIT, Strength, Sculpt and Yoga classes. In addition, the app will allow us to feature your favorite trainers in streaming sessions.

In addition, we will be upgrading all members that stay active during the corona crisis closure to Passport- Elite memberships through the end of 2020, a value of $600-$700. This means unlimited access to all club locations including our luxury Elite brands at your current membership rate!  Members will be able to access more than 150 clubs when the economy reopens and we all get back to business.

If you want to pass up this opportunity to be upgraded, please reach out to MemberHelp@tsiclubs.com where a Customer Service Representative will freeze your membership.

The Town Sports team is working hard to navigate uncharted territory while we continue to plan for what may be a challenging future. We have made some extremely difficult decisions, but they are decisions that should ultimately benefit the Town Sports family, our members and our gyms.

We are working diligently behind the scenes to ensure we’re ready to accommodate our amazing staff and members when we reopen. It is our promise to you, that you’ll be welcomed back with a spectacular club experience. This promise, this goal, and our dedication to you and our staff inspires us to keep moving forward.

I have spoken to many of you personally over the past few weeks and want to thank you for your support and understanding.  We are looking forward to the day our doors open again and excited to see you back in the gym.

Until that time, be well, stay strong and be safe.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: Update for NYSC members
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 10:06:05 AM »
Actually, I realized I don't understand what they mean. On the one hand, they mention that credits will be processed when they reopen.

On the other hand, they say to reach out to an email address provided if you want to freeze your membership. Why would I freeze my membership if it's inactive anyway, and if credit will be provided for the time the gym has been closed?

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 10:21:31 AM »
What a sleazy corporate email.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing this information, Shelby. I don’t know how they’re rolling out the emails, but I’m a NYSC member and have yet to receive anything from them. These are very uncertain times, so it’s going to be hard to tell when it will be safe to return to the gym. I’m probably going to opt out of their offer to upgrade to their Passport Elite service.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:56:54 PM »
April 8, 2020

Dear Valued Member:

We hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and healthy. We have adjusted our policies to align with your needs and industry best practices: As a result, your membership will be put on freeze — at no cost to you — going forward while we are temporarily closed. There is no action required on your part to enact the freeze.

Please note, as previously communicated, members will receive additional days of membership access equal to the number of days paid for while the clubs were closed in your area. In addition, all members will be provided with Passport Elite status for one year. Elite members will receive a free three-month guest membership for a friend when all our clubs reopen.

If you haven’t already, we encourage you to sign up for free unlimited access to the Plankk Studio streaming workout app — our way of helping you stay strong and healthy at home. Please click or tap here https://plankkstudio.com/town-sports to create your account.

If you wish to cancel your membership, please visit your club-specific website and click on “contact us” to send your cancel request to your local club. You will receive an email confirmation of your cancel request.

We appreciate your patience, support and understanding as we work together through this difficult time.

Please understand we are doing everything in our power to survive the crisis so that we can rehire our 8,000 team members back when the government provides clearance to reopen and conditions are safe.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the club in the months ahead.

Best Regards,

Offline gemsiren

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 11:47:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Shelby. I have not received any of those emails, so this is helpful!

Offline Shallot

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 12:37:54 AM »
Not a member, but I caught a story about NYSC a few days ago.  From https://therealdeal.com/2020/04/15/after-failed-flywheel-deal-new-york-sports-club-considers-bankruptcy/ :
New York Sports Club could soon be benched for good.

The gym chain’s owner, Town Sports International Holdings, is considering a potential Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, according to Bloomberg. The chain has been in talks with lenders and advisors over a $200 million loan coming due in November.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 12:34:15 PM »
The latest on NYSC:

From NBC:

New York Sports Club Parent Company Files for Bankruptcy

Town Sports International, which owns New York Sports Club, Boston Sports Club and other gyms, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Monday morning.

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to take a toll on the fitness industry, the part company of New York Sports Club has been burdened by financial strains for months.

Gym operators nationwide -- large and small -- have been suffering as the pandemic cut off the monthly membership and personal training fees that make up much of their revenue.

(Above link for full article)

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 12:34:15 PM »