Author Topic: JH in NYT  (Read 1334 times)

Offline voelteer

• Resident
JH in NYT
« on: August 28, 2020, 08:10:31 AM »
Shouts out to Suketu Mehta, Zack DeZon, Victor Llorente, and Michael Kimmelman for reminding the rest of us/U.S. what the 'American Dream' is really about, right here in Jackson Heights (of course): "Jackson Heights, Global Town Square" (New York Times, Aug. 28, 2020).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/08/27/arts/design/jackson-heights-queens-virtual-walk-tour.html

[Edited by moderator to fix link.]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:51:21 AM by JHMNY »

Offline fillmorep

• Citizen
Re: JH in NYT
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 09:40:35 AM »
A terrific "tour" made all the more insightful with the memories of Mehta, a truly brilliant writer and a son of JH!

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 09:59:30 AM »
Thanks. Great.

Offline STomkiewicz

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
The New York Times has done numerous features on our neighborhood and community over the years, but I truly feel this article is the best one yet! Kudos to all involved in bringing this to fruition.

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 02:58:16 PM »
I gotta hand it to the NYTimes they know how to do web and infographics.  Unfortunately it's often ruined once I start reading the print.  Is noone else is bothered by this article highlighting the spit stains, pretending it has some kind of deep cultural meaning and should therefor be respected?

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 03:35:22 PM »
Every media company must find co-op apartment buildings and residential areas of Jackson Heights to be boring because they only publish photos of Roosevelt Ave and a few surrounding areas.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 05:28:54 PM »
to be fair, co-op apartment buildings are pretty boring. there are tens of thousands of them scattered across the five boroughs.

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »
Laughing, because you are right, DSSJH. They are a strong part of our neighborhood character. You'd think they would wander further from the subway station.

Offline Beech Court

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 01:08:15 PM »
Overall an interesting article, nicely presented. As always though one needs to be careful when you see things either in print or on the internet as to it's accuracy. The author states that the Latino presence in JH begins in the 1950's with Colombians and other South Americans. Someone might want to challenge me but I believe the Latino presence began in the '60s with Cubans running from Castro. This was shortly followed by a wave of Argentinians. The Colombians for the most part didn't arrive until the 70's, and then followed by other Latinos.
I also channel Gladys Gilbert!

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 06:33:57 AM »
IIs noone else is bothered by this article highlighting the spit stains, pretending it has some kind of deep cultural meaning and should therefor be respected?
I didn't take it that way. I saw it more as an explanation of something that makes the area seem seedier than it actually is.

Offline Octavio Hernandez

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »
Surprising number of errors in the article.   Just one: the Earle Theatre did not become the Eagle Theatre in the 1980s--more like the late 1990s.   

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »