Author Topic: JH resident/doctor with impressive background to be new DOH commissioner  (Read 494 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
https://www.amny.com/coronavirus/queens-based-doctor-set-to-replace-oxiris-barbot-as-new-department-of-health-commissioner/

Excerpt:
Chokshi’s parent emigrated from Mumbai, India. He was born and raised in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

He served at the Louisiana Department of Health before and after Hurricane Katrina, with a focus on reshaping the state’s healthcare system in the wake of the storm. He was a Rhodes Scholar, earning an MSc in global public health from the University of Oxford.

He trained at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School and Brigham & Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School. During his training, Chokshi performed clinical work in Guatemala, Peru, Botswana, Ghana, and India.

Chokshi also served as a White House Fellow in the Obama Administration and was the principal health advisor to the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. In 2016, President Obama appointed him to the Advisory Group on Prevention, Health Promotion, and Integrative and Public Health.

Chokshi now lives in Jackson Heights, just a few blocks away from Elmhurst Hospital, with his wife, a public school teacher and Queens native of Dominican and Argentinean descent, and 14-month-old daughter.

“I saw what this virus did to my community, to my neighbors and to my fellow healthcare workers,” he said. “But his epidemic is only the most recent example of the vicious cycle of illness and inequity that I’ve seen over my career. Each of those experiences further forged my conviction that we must build toward better health systems with prevention at the center and a more proactive approach to avoidable human suffering.”

Click link to read full article https://www.amny.com/coronavirus/queens-based-doctor-set-to-replace-oxiris-barbot-as-new-department-of-health-commissioner/

Offline jh35

• Council Member
It is a shame that this whole pandemic has become so political and incompetently administered. Federal, State and City bickering over everything possible. Now, a major turnover at the Health Dept. How long is the learning curve at that job? Learning in the middle of the pandemic. If he can suck up to everyone he may keep the job for a while.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
The position regardless of how long it lasts will certainly look good on his Resume and he's only 39 years old. 

Jackson Heights Life