Author Topic: Residents Say Homeless Encampment in Queens Is Growing,...  (Read 8129 times)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Re: Residents Say Homeless Encampment in Queens Is Growing,...
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2020, 07:17:52 AM »
He moved across the street.
He has been here for years. And I have heard that he has an apartment in the area. (Where he goes in Winter?) So he is not homeless. He chooses to live on the street. And collect plastic bags etc.

Maybe, but what you "heard" should be taken lightly. People are not above spreading vicious lies or being gullible believers in them. The homeless can go to a shelter "in Winter." A woman I knew years ago froze to death in a blizzard, while people talked about how she was rich and therefore chose her fate. It was sickening.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2020, 09:48:15 AM »
He moved across the street.
He has been here for years. And I have heard that he has an apartment in the area. (Where he goes in Winter?) So he is not homeless. He chooses to live on the street. And collect plastic bags etc.

Maybe, but what you "heard" should be taken lightly. People are not above spreading vicious lies or being gullible believers in them. The homeless can go to a shelter "in Winter." A woman I knew years ago froze to death in a blizzard, while people talked about how she was rich and therefore chose her fate. It was sickening.

Unfortunately, as is the case here, Medical Science has not yet found a cure for mental illness. Which is the situation with this gentleman. (All Medical Science has found for mental illness is medication which must be taken daily. But the person has to take the medication daily or it doesn't work)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »
you are correct about mental illnesses needing treatment -- schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, narcissistic selfishness and lack of compassion all need to be addressed by some form of intervention, whether it be counseling or chemical.

and, to note, i am not accusing the most recent poster of any of those things, just noting that all four are part of the picture here.

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »
Does anybody have knowledge about the homeless lady on 37th ave?  Outside the laundromat

I’ve never seen her before, but know she is a constant presence.  I have seen her in rain and inclement weather.  I’ve also seen her picked up a few times by ambulance. 

Offline E train

• Citizen
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 06:18:46 PM »
She has been there for the last few months. She also camps in the Apple Bank from time to time. There is also a growing circle of men who have camped on the corner of 82nd and 37th in front of the bank. They have sleeping bags and food and drink so it seems that they are planning, if that's the right word, to remain there for a while. They are not masked and they are not socially distant. Are the politicians of this community who seem to be endlessly self-promoting doing anything about this?

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2021, 09:21:38 AM »
The virtuous souls that donate endless food, drinks,and endless crap to the homeless lady and dudes on 37th ave should be required by law to clean up after their friends.  Since they are inviting this to continue, the onus should be on them To feed and then clean. 

The area around chirping chicken is getting borderline bio hazard

Offline KGDHP

• Activist
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2021, 11:16:34 AM »
She has been there for the last few months. She also camps in the Apple Bank from time to time. There is also a growing circle of men who have camped on the corner of 82nd and 37th in front of the bank. They have sleeping bags and food and drink so it seems that they are planning, if that's the right word, to remain there for a while. They are not masked and they are not socially distant. Are the politicians of this community who seem to be endlessly self-promoting doing anything about this?

Not to mention, these men literally urinate and defecate openly on the street. It’s so absolutely disgusting - one morning I was walking down the street by the Renaissance Charter School’s back entrance and there was a fresh “offering” that I know was left by one of those guys. They are belligerent and drink all day. I’ve called the 115th precinct and also used the 311 app. I saw the 115 out there telling them to move along the other day, but once they left all the dudes came back.

So, the only thing left to do is call the building property manager with the phone number on the window. Ultimately, it’s the building owner’s responsibility to manage their property. I suggest that multiple people do this so that action will be taken.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 12:39:07 PM »
 It feels like we have left 37th Ave to decline and the new local concern is 34th Ave. where all manner of additions and improvements are being discussed by various parties. This is really unfortunate mainly for the people involved, that being the homeless first, the local residents and businesses after that. As a community, we should be willing and able to keep our businesses and main street operating as attractive and safe shared space.
 Currently, 37th Ave has lots of area for improvement but the powers that be aren't concerned as far as I can tell. An election is coming up though...

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2021, 09:39:31 AM »
It feels like we have left 37th Ave to decline and the new local concern is 34th Ave. where all manner of additions and improvements are being discussed by various parties. This is really unfortunate mainly for the people involved, that being the homeless first, the local residents and businesses after that. As a community, we should be willing and able to keep our businesses and main street operating as attractive and safe shared space.
 Currently, 37th Ave has lots of area for improvement but the powers that be aren't concerned as far as I can tell. An election is coming up though...

But 34th Ave. is so much more important than the literal stack of drunks that have piled themselves up outside the former Burger King on 82nd, smelling up the block with the scents of urine and feces. Obviously, I'm being sarcastic, but man are the priorities of this neighborhood out of wack.

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »
Homeless tent city is back in full force this morning at the end of 35th ave.  I wonder if any politicians care?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2021, 08:48:30 PM »
do you care? i mean about the people.

Offline KGDHP

• Activist
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2021, 09:56:19 PM »

Do you? Do you live on 82nd street/frequent the block? Are you out there helping or offering solutions?

Or are you just another keyboard warrior on a message board?

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 08:13:58 AM »
I feel we offer plenty of food and ample bedding/hotels through our enormous tax burden. So yes, I sleep pretty easy at night and prefer the neighborhood not filled with trash/piss/shit. 
We
DESJh, if you feel we are not doing enough. You could always offer up your warm foyer or perhaps your enclosed garden.  I would hate for you to be considered a hypocrite.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »

Do you? Do you live on 82nd street/frequent the block? Are you out there helping or offering solutions?

Or are you just another keyboard warrior on a message board?
since you asked:
1: Yes.
2: No.
3: Yes
4: No.

Offline E train

• Citizen
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2021, 10:20:01 PM »
Whatever our various perspectives might be on homeless people living within our midst the current situation is not sustainable. We can all agree that living in our streets is a risk to those that live this way but also to all of us who also use the streets in the course of our daily lives.
I have no idea how to resolve this social problem but there is a political class that is meant to address neighborhood issues. So ideas/solutions please from Mr. Dromm, Ms.Cruz, Ms. Ramos, and Ms. Ocasio- Cortez. If they have spoken about this then they need to speak louder, if they have not addressed this then shame on all of them

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2021, 10:20:01 PM »