Author Topic: Residents Say Homeless Encampment in Queens Is Growing,...  (Read 4709 times)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Re: Residents Say Homeless Encampment in Queens Is Growing,...
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2020, 07:17:52 AM »
He moved across the street.
He has been here for years. And I have heard that he has an apartment in the area. (Where he goes in Winter?) So he is not homeless. He chooses to live on the street. And collect plastic bags etc.

Maybe, but what you "heard" should be taken lightly. People are not above spreading vicious lies or being gullible believers in them. The homeless can go to a shelter "in Winter." A woman I knew years ago froze to death in a blizzard, while people talked about how she was rich and therefore chose her fate. It was sickening.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2020, 09:48:15 AM »
He moved across the street.
He has been here for years. And I have heard that he has an apartment in the area. (Where he goes in Winter?) So he is not homeless. He chooses to live on the street. And collect plastic bags etc.

Maybe, but what you "heard" should be taken lightly. People are not above spreading vicious lies or being gullible believers in them. The homeless can go to a shelter "in Winter." A woman I knew years ago froze to death in a blizzard, while people talked about how she was rich and therefore chose her fate. It was sickening.

Unfortunately, as is the case here, Medical Science has not yet found a cure for mental illness. Which is the situation with this gentleman. (All Medical Science has found for mental illness is medication which must be taken daily. But the person has to take the medication daily or it doesn't work)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »
you are correct about mental illnesses needing treatment -- schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, narcissistic selfishness and lack of compassion all need to be addressed by some form of intervention, whether it be counseling or chemical.

and, to note, i am not accusing the most recent poster of any of those things, just noting that all four are part of the picture here.

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »
Does anybody have knowledge about the homeless lady on 37th ave?  Outside the laundromat

I’ve never seen her before, but know she is a constant presence.  I have seen her in rain and inclement weather.  I’ve also seen her picked up a few times by ambulance. 

Offline E train

• Citizen
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 06:18:46 PM »
She has been there for the last few months. She also camps in the Apple Bank from time to time. There is also a growing circle of men who have camped on the corner of 82nd and 37th in front of the bank. They have sleeping bags and food and drink so it seems that they are planning, if that's the right word, to remain there for a while. They are not masked and they are not socially distant. Are the politicians of this community who seem to be endlessly self-promoting doing anything about this?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 06:18:46 PM »