Author Topic: Residents Say Homeless Encampment in Queens Is Growing,...  (Read 3479 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Residents Say Homeless Encampment in Queens Is Growing,...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 06:21:58 PM »
perhaps the governor could suspend their licenses to be homeless.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 06:40:57 PM »

Two wrongs, as always...never make a right.

The constant flaw in many folks' logic.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 07:16:34 PM »

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 07:33:15 PM »

As always, I will ignore your child-like pictorial insults. Then again, they clearly serve to describe the poster's level of maturity. Pee Wee Herman says hello.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:38:40 PM by abcdefghijk »

Offline lindsey

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »
I appreciated this short interview in the e-newsletter Epicenter NYC. (You can sign up for the newsletter here: https://epicenter-nyc.com/subscribe). The idea to carry a card of community resources seems good.

Dear Neighbor,

Are you noticing more homeless people in your community? Among reasons for this: Warmer weather draws people out of shelters and onto the streets where there are fewer rules and no curfew. And because of Covid-19, the NYC Department of Homeless Services has been moving thousands out of shelters, where social distancing is impossible, into hotel rooms — often in some of the city’s more pricey ZIP codes.

It’s become a showdown in certain neighborhoods. We spoke to Cari Feingold, a clinical social worker who has counseled homeless populations, on how to try to diffuse the tension. Her advice:

What to give. Whether to give money is always a question people have. Feingold advises against it. Instead, she suggests providing personal hygiene products like deodorant, cleansing wipes and tampons and sanitary pads, which can be especially hard to come by. The travel section at stores like Target and CVS are good for stocking up.

Resources. Consider creating a card listing local food kitchens, community fridges, mental health and detox clinics, and Covid testing locations. Keep several with you and hand them out. “You can only want for someone as much as they want for themselves. It’s all about being empowered,” Feingold told us. “Giving somebody a McDonald’s sandwich is not empowering. Giving someone a list of resources they can call? That’s empowering.”

Who is that, Mama? How to explain the new neighbors to children? Come from a place of empathy. Explain that being homeless doesn’t make you a bad person, and it’s not a choice. If you come across somebody using drugs, Feingold suggests being honest: The person is sick, and what they are doing is bad for their body and illegal.

Consider carrying Narcan. There are nearly 80,000 homeless people in New York City. The vast majority also suffer from issues such as mental illness and substance abuse. Fentanyl, a powerful and deadly synthetic opiate often lacing cocaine and heroin, is responsible for many overdose deaths in New York City. Naloxone, more commonly known by the brand name Narcan, is a nasal spray that helps reverse an opioid overdose. New Yorkers can secure Naloxone free of charge from community organizations and participating pharmacies, and several organizations offer free training on how to effectively use it.

What if you feel threatened? If you see someone who appears to be a danger to themselves or others, Feingold recommends contacting the police and letting them know you are calling in regards to an emotionally disturbed person (EDP). That way, she said, they will send an ambulance and bring the individual to the hospital to be assessed.

And most importantly, be sympathetic.

Offline Beech Court

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 04:15:04 AM »
I noticed yesterday afternoon the homeless man, who made the bench by Food Dynasty his, was gone. Does anyone know what happened to him?
I also channel Gladys Gilbert!

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 11:01:44 AM »
He moved across the street.

He has been here for years. And I have heard that he has an apartment in the area. (Where he goes in Winter?) So he is not homeless. He chooses to live on the street. And collect plastic bags etc.

Offline Beech Court

• Council Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 05:58:32 PM »

He has been here for years. And I have heard that he has an apartment in the area. (Where he goes in Winter?) So he is not homeless. He chooses to live on the street. And collect plastic bags etc.

If that is true then probably there are too many complaints wherever this apartment is. So the problem moves to the streets. Either way this is not normal behavior and the man needs help.

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »
Can we get rid of those linkNY kiosks, Such useless eyesore.  The only use is for the drunks to siesta while they charge iPhones.  Ridiculous

Offline Beech Court

• Council Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 09:52:16 PM »
Nothing wrong with the kiosks. In fact I have stories where they were actually worth the space and more. The problem is keeping vagrants moving.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2020, 09:33:37 AM »

If that is true then probably there are too many complaints wherever this apartment is. So the problem moves to the streets. Either way this is not normal behavior and the man needs help.

Yes, mental illness often leads to sad outcomes.

The person appears to have deteriorated this year.  And his plastic bag/trash collection has worsened exponentially.

The only way for this person to get better would be for him to be on medication long term.

But I imagine he is not the type to take his medication every day.

Therein lies the dilemma.

Offline Beech Court

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
I agree about his collection having grown worse and what seems to be mental illness.
Somehow there has to be a more effective way of handling things besides keeping him moving from bench to bench.

Offline Yankswun98

• Resident
  • Lived here since: 2019
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2020, 02:24:34 PM »
The BQE underpass at 35th avenue has a sign from a NYC agency that states they will be removing belonging left.  In the 2 months since it was pressure washed, it still seems rather clean except for the bird droppings. 

The homeless population has moved from the underpass to private properties in the lower 70's.  Tuesday night I had 3 individuals drinking, smoking and passing out on my front steps.  Saturday night I had a homeless man sleeping on a mattress in my neighbors parking spot and peeing in my garden.  By the time police came the guy had left.

Offline r

• Activist
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2020, 06:45:41 PM »

Offline Liz

• Council Member
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »
I like the idea of a card and giving out hygiene products, but I think giving out a sandwich or even money (that might be spent on liquor!  I like a glass of wine too!) is fine as well.  I think it's important to support local organizations that help the homeless.  The homeless and people with mental illness are NYC residents too and our neighbors.  They are human beings.  Please keep that in mind.  Just like the gentrifiers are human and our neighbors.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »