Author Topic: Deli with Sandwiches  (Read 1976 times)

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
Deli with Sandwiches
« on: July 26, 2020, 04:36:41 PM »
Looking for a deli that makes bacon, egg & cheese, chopped cheese and other deli sandwiches in the Jackson Heights area that is not K&L. Looking for a typical NYC bodega sandwich, not a fancy one.

Thanks in advance

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
Re: Deli with Sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »
I don't know of any besides K&L. But what is a chopped cheese sandwich? I've never heard of it and am curious.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »
I don't know of any besides K&L. But what is a chopped cheese sandwich? I've never heard of it and am curious.

I had never heard of it either, until its "rise to fame" :)

The Chopped Cheese’s Sharp Rise to Fame

Excerpt:

The chopped cheese is a New York success story — with a somewhat charged twist.

The sandwich, also called a chop cheese — ground beef with onions, topped by melted cheese and served with lettuce, tomatoes and condiments on a hero roll — has long been a staple of bodegas in Harlem and the Bronx. Now, it has started migrating from grill tops to restaurant menus, from the lyrics of rappers onto the pages of food blogs.

But this wider recognition has come with a side of controversy.

In June, a video made by a 20-year-old man from Harlem as a retort to a segment about the sandwich went viral, igniting a discussion about culture and privilege. The news that a new restaurant on the Upper West Side would feature a version costing more than $10 provoked another round of criticism.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 09:37:54 AM »
It's possible that the info online is outdated, but the 8001 Gourmet Deli on Northern Blvd seems to have a lot of traditional deli menu items.

https://www.ubereats.com/new-york/food-delivery/8001-gourmet-deli/n8_35nIGQJ6YWmAy_bg91Q

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
Thanks Shelby! Now I really want to try one, it sounds good.

Offline r

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 07:19:05 PM »
Why not K&L? They are so great 8)

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 08:27:17 PM »
Why not K&L? They are so great 8)

They are average to me, but just as expensive as Manhattan. When I lived in Brooklyn, there were many bodegas with cheap sandwiches (along with nicer delis like K&L). I was just wondering if that existed here but I don’t think it really does. Maybe in Astoria

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 09:03:13 AM »
Best bacon egg n cheese I have ever had is at Delicias Calenas, the colombian bakery on 73rd and 37th. They make their own bread (I think), and they fry the bacon. SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 09:41:08 AM »
Best bacon egg n cheese I have ever had is at Delicias Calenas, the colombian bakery on 73rd and 37th. They make their own bread (I think), and they fry the bacon. SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

Ok this is what I was looking for - awesome. Thanks!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 07:07:26 PM »

Ok this is what I was looking for - awesome. Thanks!

Please let me know what you think! Maybe actually had a better fancy pants one actually, but for a plebian one, this was my fave

Offline JHHD

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »
If you're going to Astoria, try Sorriso on 30th Ave. Killer sandwiches, great homemade salami, and they know how to properly slice prosciutto di parma.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 08:58:42 PM »
If you're going to Astoria, try Sorriso on 30th Ave. Killer sandwiches, great homemade salami, and they know how to properly slice prosciutto di parma.

along with DiPalo on Grand Street in Manhattan, the best salumi and Italian specialties around. but not a bacon, egg and cheese on the run kinda place for me.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 09:45:51 AM »
Nearby, Shah's deli at 74-05 37th Ave does fine for a breakfast sandwich.   

I don't think you're going to find chopped cheese anywhere around here. 

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 02:06:46 PM »

The place I linked above (8001 Gourmet Deli) actually does list chopped cheese, however, I have no idea if that place actually exists or what the real menu looks like. I'm not sure I trust the link I posted, but perhaps at one point it was accurate. If I'm able to pass by, I will take a look to see what's there.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »

The place I linked above (8001 Gourmet Deli) actually does list chopped cheese, however, I have no idea if that place actually exists or what the real menu looks like. I'm not sure I trust the link I posted, but perhaps at one point it was accurate. If I'm able to pass by, I will take a look to see what's there.

They are super nice guys. I bet if you asked for it and they didn't know it, they'd be open to it. It's just hamburger meat cut up with a bunch of crap in it put in a hero

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »