Author Topic: Pio Pio vs Riko  (Read 1917 times)

Offline ljr

• Mayor
Re: Pio Pio vs Riko
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 06:25:14 PM »
My decision: Warique it is! Just ordered a second time. It was very good and not very expensive, they deliver to my address...yay! Riko's had a lot of very negative reviews--so much so, I didn't want to even try it.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »
FYI--though Doordash said El Pollo Inka Peru would deliver to us, it also said they were closed temporarily. But when I called, they are open and they do deliver, but when I told her my address she said no, I'm too far away. I'm on 76 St between 35th and 37th. Surprised--I think she said they only deliver within 10 blocks. Again--surprised!

they're at 89th and Northern, no? that's well over 10 blocks

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 08:09:11 PM »
Yes, indeed, I can count! I meant I was surprised that they have a 10-block limit for delivery. Seems like a small delivery area and we are able to get deliveries from lots of places further away. Especially now when delivery is the name of the game.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 11:08:51 PM »
i didn't mean that to sound condescending. sorry.

Yes, indeed, I can count! I meant I was surprised that they have a 10-block limit for delivery. Seems like a small delivery area and we are able to get deliveries from lots of places further away. Especially now when delivery is the name of the game.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 01:25:10 AM »
FYI--though Doordash said El Pollo Inka Peru would deliver to us, it also said they were closed temporarily.
Doordash doesn't speak for the restaurants. They are separate. The restaurant may have its own delivery people who operate in a certain area while Doordash has drivers who may deliver for multiple restaurants. If you want to support a particular restaurant, you're better off ordering from them directly since they won't have to split their profit with Doordash. If you want to use an app, you may need to have several different apps to cover all the local restaurants, but you can't beat the convenience.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 10:27:45 AM »
In the case of El Pollo Inka Peru, though, DoorDash seems to be their only online option for delivery, but DoorDash was saying they were closed, which is not the case. Maybe if DoorDash ever delivers for them again, they would deliver further? But when I called to try and order directly from them, they said they would not deliver to 76th St, it was too far. I do go to individual restaurant's own apps or websites to order when it is possible, but I don't think El Pollo Inka Peru has an app or website option...and anyway they have the 10-block limit.

As it happens we did order from Warique last night--and for the first time had a problem. We ordered through Seamless and ten minutes past the time Seamless said the food would arrive, Warique called to apologize and tell us they had a system outage and only just then did they get our order. And do we still want it?

We said yes, and they said it would take 30 minutes. After 45 minutes-1 hour (and this is a real problem for us as my spouse is diabetic and needs to eat when blood sugar is falling and it was already very late for him) they still had not arrived and we tried to call them. Phone not working. We finally contacted Seamless who also tried calling and found the phone not working. Seamless refunded our money--and shortly after the food arrived.

I tried to reverse the refund via Seamless twice, and they said it's not possible to reverse a refund. So I plan to go over to the restaurant later and pay them. I'm sure there was an electrical or internet outage that caused this, and not their fault, but it was very frustrating to not be able to reach them by phone at all, and not know for sure if they would ever arrive. Their food is great and well priced, so I still recommend. Just wish that if they have internet phone they'd cover their bases and have a mobile phone as well, so customers can reach them.

Online lalochezia

• Mayor

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 11:44:36 AM »
Yeah, I am a well-informed New Yorker, and I know all about the apps and the restaurants and the issues. However, they are not all set up for ordering directly--if they were, why would they remain on the other platforms? And isn't it better for them to have the business however they get it? We order A LOT.

In the case of Warique --their phone was in fact not in service, so how would we order from them if not online? We are older people who are not going to walk all the way to them from our apartment. And when ordering online, it's cashless, no contact, and safer for us. We remain healthy, hungry customers who continue to spend money ordering from them.  Isn't that on the whole better for them as well as for us? Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 07:59:02 PM »
Pio Pio had been our go to since moving to JH, either for delivery or eating at there "to go" location.  Their new big space was always too noisy for me to enjoy.

Tried Riko when they first moved to Roosevelt and was disappointed, although liked their Sunnyside location that is always packed. 

Since Covid and the outdoors, we tried the Pollos Marios on 83rd and 37th--never liked eating inside, but they have taken over a lot of space outdoors, and we really enjoyed their chicken, so I would add that to the list. 

Based on comments here, finally tried Warique, was looking forward to eating there, but my partner felt the chicken rub was salty and overall presentation with the fried rice and maduros was not great.

If there is one food that should be done right in Jackson Heights, its roasted chicken.

Will have to try Pollo Inka next...but for now its Pollos Mario and Pio Pio on top of my list...

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 03:50:54 PM »
Well it's different strokes for different folks, isn't it? We tried Pollos Marios and thought the chicken was tasteless and very disappointing. Have now ordered the roasted chicken from Warique twice and loved it both times. Juicy and tasty! Maybe it's the salt that we like, but it was really delicious, as was everything else we tried--rice, beans, maduros--except for the fish filet dish, which was very plain. Have not ordered from Pio Pio in years, maybe we'll try that again for a better comparison. And once it's not so very hot, maybe I will walk up to El Pollo Inka Peru sometime, since we can't get delivery from them.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 07:41:03 PM »
Pio Pio had been our go to since moving to JH, either for delivery or eating at there "to go" location.  Their new big space was always too noisy for me to enjoy.

Tried Riko when they first moved to Roosevelt and was disappointed, although liked their Sunnyside location that is always packed. 

Since Covid and the outdoors, we tried the Pollos Marios on 83rd and 37th--never liked eating inside, but they have taken over a lot of space outdoors, and we really enjoyed their chicken, so I would add that to the list. 

Based on comments here, finally tried Warique, was looking forward to eating there, but my partner felt the chicken rub was salty and overall presentation with the fried rice and maduros was not great.

If there is one food that should be done right in Jackson Heights, its roasted chicken.

Will have to try Pollo Inka next...but for now its Pollos Mario and Pio Pio on top of my list...

I first went to Pollo Inka because I read in some Yelp review that their chicken wasn't overly salty (I can eat salty things but I hate the way I feel afterwards). I agree with the review that it's not overly salty. I haven't had it in some time, but I recall enjoying it.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 07:41:03 PM »